Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon EOS 300D questions

Canon EOS 300D questions

neil leslie

I've just taken the plunge and got myself a digital SLR. It's the Canon
EOS 300D and I have a couple of questions.

1) If I have Photoshop7 installed on my Mac do I need to install any of
the software that came with the camera?

2) I would far prefer to shoot using manual exposure but how do I focus?
There is no split screen viewfinder and everything seems out of focus.

Thanks for any and all help

Matt Ion

neil leslie wrote:
> I've just taken the plunge and got myself a digital SLR. It's the Canon
> EOS 300D and I have a couple of questions.
>
> 1) If I have Photoshop7 installed on my Mac do I need to install any of
> the software that came with the camera?

I beleive you need the transfer utility, I seem to recall that was
necessary when I set it up with my Mac.

> 2) I would far prefer to shoot using manual exposure but how do I focus?
> There is no split screen viewfinder and everything seems out of focus.

That seems to be a drawback with almost all AF-SLRs - the lack of manual
focus aids, and the tiny focus rings on the lenses. Alas, unless
someone brings out a replacement viewfinder, we're stuck with it.

Jim Townsend

neil leslie wrote:

> I've just taken the plunge and got myself a digital SLR. It's the Canon
> EOS 300D and I have a couple of questions.
>
> 1) If I have Photoshop7 installed on my Mac do I need to install any of
> the software that came with the camera?

For editing you won't need to install the supplied Photoshop Elements.
The full blown version of 7 has all the features of the supplied
Elements and more.

As far as downloading images.. If your Mac operating system supports
picture transfer protocol (PTP) then you should be able to access the
camera directly. If it doesn't, you'll have to load some Canon
software to read your photos..

Of course if you have a flash card reader, you don't need the
camera or Canon software at all.

> 2) I would far prefer to shoot using manual exposure but how do I focus?
> There is no split screen viewfinder and everything seems out of focus.

The top selling feature of the Electro Optical System (EOS) is that
it has a fast and extremely accurate autofocus.. You don't need to
focus manually with EF lenses. (Or so Canon would have us believe

I don't think any EOS digicams have the split screen.. When you
consider the 300D was built to be the lowest cost DSLR in the lineup
it isn't surprising they don't have this feature.

It isn't that easy to manually focus. Especially since the viewfinder
is smaller and not as bright as what you see on a standard 35mm EOS model.

You can manually focus by sight.. Make sure the viewfinder diopter is
adjusted to your eyesight.

You might know who

> 2) I would far prefer to shoot using manual exposure but how do I focus?
> There is no split screen viewfinder and everything seems out of focus.

You can have manual exposure and still auto-focus.

For manual focus select focus point(s), hold down shutter button, turn focus
ring until green light appears in lower right of display (I think the camera
will 'beep', too).

Michael A. Covington

"neil leslie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:clbchb$4mf$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just taken the plunge and got myself a digital SLR. It's the Canon
> EOS 300D and I have a couple of questions.
>
> 1) If I have Photoshop7 installed on my Mac do I need to install any of
> the software that came with the camera?

No. Do you have a Compact Flash reader? If so, just copy your files onto
your computer from the Compact Flash cards and edit them. You can do this
with any digital camera.

> 2) I would far prefer to shoot using manual exposure but how do I focus?
> There is no split screen viewfinder and everything seems out of focus.

The eyepiece is focusable, and that may be what's throwing you. Adjust the
eyepiece diopter (see instruction manual) until you can see the focusing
screen clearly. Look at the little autofocus boxes to judge whether you are
seeing the screen clearly. Then focus the image.

By the way, I assume you meant manual focus. You can perfectly well have
manual exposure and autofocus. Manual/auto FOCUS is selected by a switch on
the lens.

Big Bill

>neil leslie wrote:

>> 2) I would far prefer to shoot using manual exposure but how do I focus?
>> There is no split screen viewfinder and everything seems out of focus.

As said, the 300D isn't really designed with good manual focus in
mind.
But the autop focus is really pretty good. Just set the focus point to
the center, and try it.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Paul J Gans

Big Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>neil leslie wrote:

>>> 2) I would far prefer to shoot using manual exposure but how do I focus?
>>> There is no split screen viewfinder and everything seems out of focus.

>As said, the 300D isn't really designed with good manual focus in
>mind.
>But the autop focus is really pretty good. Just set the focus point to
>the center, and try it.

>Bill Funk
>Change "g" to "a"

If I recall correctly the 20D has a focussing screen. Did the 10D
have one? If not perhaps Canon is getting a bit smarters?

---- Paul J. Gans

andre

>> 2) I would far prefer to shoot using manual exposure but how do I
>> focus? There is no split screen viewfinder and everything seems out of
>> focus.

> That seems to be a drawback with almost all AF-SLRs - the lack of manual
> focus aids, and the tiny focus rings on the lenses. Alas, unless
> someone brings out a replacement viewfinder, we're stuck with it.

Exposure and focus are two independent things. YOu can use AF and manual
exposure. If you also want to use manual focus (switch on lens) you can
use the small DOF (depth of field) button to see whats in focus and what
is not.

Andre

--
http://www.aguntherphotography.com