Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D70 vs Phase One H 5 back on a Blad

Reply
Thread Tools

Nikon D70 vs Phase One H 5 back on a Blad

 
 
Sam Carleton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2004
There are obvious differences between the Nikon D70 and Phase One
H 5 back for a blad: size, price, portability, etc. What I find
appealing about the H 5 is the fact that I can use a 150mm lens
for portraits rather then a 60mm lens. Are there other
advantages? If so, what are they?

Sam
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Martin Francis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2004
"Sam Carleton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4D8ed.13$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There are obvious differences between the Nikon D70 and Phase One
> H 5 back for a blad: size, price, portability, etc. What I find
> appealing about the H 5 is the fact that I can use a 150mm lens
> for portraits rather then a 60mm lens. Are there other
> advantages? If so, what are they?


??

If you think the 150mm Sonnar will give the same FOV on a digital back with
a sub-56x56mm sensor (something like 38x38mm, I guess) as on 120 film...
well, you're wrong. With a digital back, something like a 100mm or 120mm
would be more useful for portraits.

Some more information would be appreciated- no point recommending a
Hasselblad ELD with 22mp back and 40/60/100 kit to a motocross photographer.

--
Martin Francis http://www.sixbysix.co.uk
"Go not to Usenet for counsel, for it will say both no, and yes, and
no, and yes...."


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sam Carleton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2004
On 2004-10-22, Martin Francis wrote:
> "Sam Carleton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:4D8ed.13$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There are obvious differences between the Nikon D70 and Phase
>> One H 5 back for a blad: size, price, portability, etc. What I
>> find appealing about the H 5 is the fact that I can use a 150mm
>> lens for portraits rather then a 60mm lens. Are there other
>> advantages? If so, what are they?

>
> If you think the 150mm Sonnar will give the same FOV on a
> digital back with a sub-56x56mm sensor (something like 38x38mm,
> I guess) as on 120 film... well, you're wrong. With a digital
> back, something like a 100mm or 120mm would be more useful for
> portraits.


I was not 100% sure of the size of the sensor, but I will grant
you that a 38x38mm sensor will not give me the same FOV, but it
will give me a FOV which is the same as what I am currently
getting with my 105mm! Which is much better then having to use a
darn 60mm for a portrait!

> Some more information would be appreciated- no point
> recommending a Hasselblad ELD with 22mp back and 40/60/100 kit
> to a motocross photographer.


I thought I discuessed my needs: portraits. Not motocross,
baseball, landscape, archiecture, weddings, nor football, but
simply: Portraits.

What I am wondering is this: the H5 and the D70 produce an image
of about the same mega pixels, 5 meg vs 6 meg respectfully.
Assuming the FOV is NOT an issue, what is going to be the
different between a portrait taken with the H5 and withe the D70?
Is the H5 going to produce an image that and be enlargered better?
If so, how? Is the H5 going to give better color? If so, how?
Or is the H5 simply a way for someone to justify keeing a medium
format camera around and simply a waste of about 8 grand?

Sam
 
Reply With Quote
 
Crownfield
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2004
Sam Carleton wrote:

>
> I thought I discuessed my needs: portraits. Not motocross,
> baseball, landscape, archiecture, weddings, nor football, but
> simply: Portraits.
>
> What I am wondering is this: the H5 and the D70 produce an image
> of about the same mega pixels, 5 meg vs 6 meg respectfully.


get a flash card. go down to a few stores, and try the cameras.
also try a S2 Pro, often chosen because of its skin tones.

take the card home, and look at how the cameras render skin tones.


>
> Sam

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vhdl coding for five phase svpwm for 5 phase stepper motor Keerthana Hardware 0 03-24-2012 06:06 AM
blad podwojnej konfiguracji spring context przy deployowaniu app kamiseq Java 1 10-20-2008 09:15 AM
4-phase vs. 2-phase handshaking Eli Bendersky VHDL 11 01-22-2008 02:26 PM
Jak wykryc blad w makefile ? Q C++ 0 12-07-2006 08:05 AM
Nikon 8800 vs Nikon 990 vs Canon 8MP Rebel vs Nikon D70 fj40rockcrawler@gmail.com Digital Photography 10 06-07-2005 06:53 PM



Advertisments