Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Experience with Nikon lens to EOS adapters

Experience with Nikon lens to EOS adapters

Michael A. Covington

I know of 3 available adapters for putting a Nikon lens on an EOS (without
aperture coupling or autofocus, of course): Novoflex for about $200,
Ukrainian for about $40, or Chinese for about $25. The latter two are sold
on eBay.

Who among us is using these with a digital EOS? Are the low-priced ones
reliable?

Dave Herzstein

"Michael A. Covington" wrote:

> I know of 3 available adapters for putting a Nikon lens on an EOS (without
> aperture coupling or autofocus, of course): Novoflex for about $200,
> Ukrainian for about $40, or Chinese for about $25. The latter two are sold
> on eBay.
>
> Who among us is using these with a digital EOS? Are the low-priced ones
> reliable?

I have a Ukrainian adapter. Its a bit stiff on the Nikon side, but it
works. Its solid aluminum - unlikely to break.

-Dave

Michael A. Covington

"Dave Herzstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a Ukrainian adapter. Its a bit stiff on the Nikon side, but it
> works. Its solid aluminum - unlikely to break.

Is the stiffness due to something being machined to the wrong size, or just
a spring being stiff, or what? (If you can tell...)

Roy G. Biv

I have the Novoflex adapter. There are some Nikon lenses that will not fit
an EOS body because the back of the lens has a protruding tab that strikes
the body. The release tab (to remove the adapter from the lens) is on the
*inside* of the adapter. The adapter may get stuck on some lenses because
the release tab can't be moved after you've put the adapter on the lens. I
don't know if there are any Nikon lenses that would interfere with an EOS
mirror, but be careful. On the other hand, the adapter works just fine on
the 1000mm mirror Nikkor and the ambient metering is correct on an EOS 10D.
With a non-cpu lens on the 10D, the flash underexposes by about 3 stops.
YMMV and the usual disclaimers apply.
Sorry due to spam I shall not provide a real e-mail address. Please reply to
group.

Michael A. Covington

"Roy G. Biv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I have the Novoflex adapter. There are some Nikon lenses that will not fit
> an EOS body because the back of the lens has a protruding tab that strikes
> the body. The release tab (to remove the adapter from the lens) is on the
> *inside* of the adapter. The adapter may get stuck on some lenses because
> the release tab can't be moved after you've put the adapter on the lens. I
> don't know if there are any Nikon lenses that would interfere with an EOS
> mirror, but be careful. On the other hand, the adapter works just fine
> on
> the 1000mm mirror Nikkor and the ambient metering is correct on an EOS
> 10D.
> With a non-cpu lens on the 10D, the flash underexposes by about 3 stops.
> YMMV and the usual disclaimers apply.
> Sorry due to spam I shall not provide a real e-mail address. Please reply
> group.

Thanks, Mr. Biv. I use your spectrum all the time

Do the 180/2.8 or 300/4 (recent model ED IF AF) have any problems with the
protruding tab?

I'm doing astrophotography and don't care about flash.

Roy G. Biv

"Michael A. Covington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41798ab9$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Do the 180/2.8 or 300/4 (recent model ED IF AF) have any problems with the
> protruding tab?
> I'm doing astrophotography and don't care about flash.

I have never used the 180/2.8 or the newer silent wave 300/4. On the older
(screwdriver blade) 300/4.0 the Novoflex adapter is a tight fit. The adapter
release tab can barely move against the lens baffle. I haven't had clearance
problems on an EOS-3. YMMV and the usual disclaimers apply. Sorry due to

> "Michael A. Covington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41798ab9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Do the 180/2.8 or 300/4 (recent model ED IF AF) have any problems with
>> the
>> protruding tab?
>> I'm doing astrophotography and don't care about flash.

> I have never used the 180/2.8 or the newer silent wave 300/4. On the older
> (screwdriver blade) 300/4.0 the Novoflex adapter is a tight fit. The
> adapter
> release tab can barely move against the lens baffle. I haven't had
> clearance
> problems on an EOS-3.

OK... Mine is the first version (with more solid tripod ring) of the 300/4
ED IF AF. Is that what you're referring to? Do you think I'd have
problems?

Roy G. Biv

"Michael A. Covington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41799962$(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK... Mine is the first version (with more solid tripod ring) of the 300/4
> ED IF AF. Is that what you're referring to? Do you think I'd have
> problems?

I have the first version of this lens, with the more solid tripod ring as
you describe. I have not had any problems attaching (or removing) this lens
to (or from) an EOS 3 with the Novoflex adapter attached to the lens. Also I
can fire my camera at the highest framing rate apparently without damage to
lens or camera. However, I have to remove the adapter from the lens very
slowly and carefully, since it is a very tight fit. Hope this helps. Sorry
due to spam I shall not provide a valid e-mail address. Please reply to

> "Michael A. Covington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41799962$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> OK... Mine is the first version (with more solid tripod ring) of the
>> 300/4
>> ED IF AF. Is that what you're referring to? Do you think I'd have
>> problems?

> I have the first version of this lens, with the more solid tripod ring as
> you describe. I have not had any problems attaching (or removing) this
> lens
> to (or from) an EOS 3 with the Novoflex adapter attached to the lens. Also
> can fire my camera at the highest framing rate apparently without damage
> lens or camera. However, I have to remove the adapter from the lens very
> slowly and carefully, since it is a very tight fit. Hope this helps.
> Sorry
> due to spam I shall not provide a valid e-mail address. Please reply to
> group.

That is good to hear.

Do you think I'd be a fool to buy the Novoflex one rather than the Chinese
or Ukrainian one? I'm thinking Novoflex's warranty must be worth
something... on the other hand, it's a BIG price difference!

Roy G. Biv

"Michael A. Covington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:417acace$(E-Mail Removed)...
> That is good to hear.
> Do you think I'd be a fool to buy the Novoflex one rather than the Chinese
> or Ukrainian one? I'm thinking Novoflex's warranty must be worth
> something... on the other hand, it's a BIG price difference!

I have never used any adapter other than the the Novoflex. However,
mechanically the adapter is so elementary that I can't imagine ever having
to use the warranty. On the other hand, if you have invested several
thousand dollars in Nikon lenses that you might want to use on a Canon body,
do you still want to save US $ 100 on an adapter? In my case, the decision
was easy because I wasn't aware of any substitutes! Sorry due to spam I
shall not provide a valid e-mail address. Please reply to group.