Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital camera as webcam

Digital camera as webcam

Peter

2004-10-22, Christopher Pollard wrote:
> On 22 Oct 2004 12:37:31 GMT, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I use an old 1 MPixel Kodak DC200. I have it connected to the computer
>>with a serial cable, and I wrote some Perl scripts to take a picture every
>>15 minutes, download it from the camera to the computer, and upload it to
>>my website. The computer runs Linux, and I use some free library which can
>>connect to the camera and take/download pictures. The camera has taken
>>more that 100000 photo's

> That sounds exactly what I'm looking for, could it be done with Windows?

Yes!, although I have no experience with that. I used the Linux with Perl
and the kodak library with commands to take a picture and download it
because Linux is what I use mostly at home and work.

There must be more (older) camera's which can be controlled with software
(from Windows this would probably be easier, as Windows software is
usually included with camera's). The problem is you would also need
something to upload it to a website again... Maybe looking at reviews of
older camera's on www.dpreview.com would give an indication of the kind of
software included...?

-peter

Christopher Pollard

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:04:55 -0700, "RacerX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If 1 Mp is a good enough size some new webcams can produce that good of an
>image now, i have a logitech Orbit that can do 1.3 Mp. Also i have a digital
>Rebel that can remote capture and do what your looking for @ 6.3Mp.

1MP is plenty, however the light in here isn't too great, and a camera which can
make the correct exposure ratner than digitally enhancing the video frame would
be much better.

Check the link in my sig to see how it is just now.
Go to webcam (see earlier pictures for a selection), then compare that with the
first picture in the 'inside' section.
That's taken with my old DX10 from a similar perspective. If I could get results
like that from the webcam I'd be happier.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Christopher Pollard

>I use an old 1 MPixel Kodak DC200.

Found one on ebay, I emailed the seller about shipping here (Philippines). His
reply "sorry, it won't work as a webcam..."

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Christopher Pollard

On 22 Oct 2004 21:45:21 GMT, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> That sounds exactly what I'm looking for, could it be done with Windows?

>Yes!, although I have no experience with that. I used the Linux with Perl
>and the kodak library with commands to take a picture and download it
>because Linux is what I use mostly at home and work.

Well, I have some linux experience. I could set up a linux box here just for
that, and in time I could slowly turn it into a router, firewall, proxy server,
whatever else I need here in this internet cafe.

Might make a nice project.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Peter

2004-10-23, Christopher Pollard wrote:

>>I use an old 1 MPixel Kodak DC200.

> Found one on ebay, I emailed the seller about shipping here (Philippines). His
> reply "sorry, it won't work as a webcam..."

Not with the included software, that is correct.
But I have the same camera, and I assure you, it works

Anyway, you mentioned you had Linux experience in your other posting, so I
could send you the library and scripts I have. Note that the camera is
quite slow with the serial transfer of pictures - it takes me a minute to
download a picture to the computer. To be honest, I have never
experimented with higher speeds, because my webcam only took one every 15
minutes (If you want one picture a minute it could be too slow.)

-peter

Christopher Pollard

On 23 Oct 2004 08:26:14 GMT, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>quite slow with the serial transfer of pictures - it takes me a minute to
>download a picture to the computer.

At what resolution? one per minute is what I'm running at right now (did you see
it? link in the sig) but I could slow it down if need be.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Peter

2004-10-23, Christopher Pollard wrote:
> On 23 Oct 2004 08:26:14 GMT, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>quite slow with the serial transfer of pictures - it takes me a minute to
>>download a picture to the computer.

> At what resolution? one per minute is what I'm running at right now (did you see
> it? link in the sig) but I could slow it down if need be.

I take at 1152x960 (the max resolution of the camera). I did some timing,
at fastest speed it downloads about 9 to 10 kB/s to the computer. A 200 kB
jpeg would take 20 seconds. So once a minute would be okay.
(My time of a minute was a bit exagerated )

-peter

Christopher Pollard

On 24 Oct 2004 19:44:53 GMT, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> At what resolution?

>I take at 1152x960 (the max resolution of the camera). I did some timing,
>at fastest speed it downloads about 9 to 10 kB/s to the computer. A 200 kB
>jpeg would take 20 seconds. So once a minute would be okay.

That's way more than I need. presumably it can be set to, say, 640 x 480? That
ought to be enough. I have to consider my viewers' bandwidth too...

Could I possibly see your site, or is it just for personal viewing?

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Peter

2004-10-25, Christopher Pollard wrote:

> That's way more than I need. presumably it can be set to, say, 640 x 480? That
> ought to be enough. I have to consider my viewers' bandwidth too...

Yes, that's possible. What I do is download the big one, and scale it for
viewing (to 640x480).

> Could I possibly see your site, or is it just for personal viewing?

Sure, if you go to http://www.durian.org/showlast.pl you will get the
webcam view (rain and more rain ). Unfortunately it is through a
plastic window (we just moved, haven't had time to improve things yet). I
only update once every 15 minutes though.

-peter

Christopher Pollard

On 25 Oct 2004 06:38:32 GMT, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sure, if you go to http://www.durian.org/showlast.pl

That's quite clear. way better than the crap I'm serving up...

Durian eh? Tastes like heaven, smells like hell. Love the stuff.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net