Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital camera as webcam

Digital camera as webcam

Christopher Pollard

I've tried asking on a webcam group about this, but they can't seem to grasp
what I really want...

I want to use a digital camera as a webcam, by controlling it remotely and
automagically from the computer. I want to take a photograph every minute and
ftp it to my site. Most webcams are optimised for video at 30fps and the quality
isn't good enough. I want to take one decent picture every minute, not 30 crap
ones every second.

I remember my old Fuji DX-10 had a 'flash twain' (IIRC) driver which opened up
like a scanner driver from within photoshop or whatever, and you could click the
button and it would take a picture and send it down the serial cable, bypassing
the memory card.

I no longer have the camera, but wondering if there are any others which could
do this either vis USB or serial. Something old, cheap and second hand would be
ideal.

The only suggestions from the webcam group was to plug the TV out fromthe camera
into a video capture card. This isn't what I want to do as I want decent
pictures, correctly exposed (without flash...).

Any suggestions?
--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Siddhartha Jain

Christopher Pollard wrote:
> I've tried asking on a webcam group about this, but they can't seem

to grasp
> what I really want...
>
> I want to use a digital camera as a webcam, by controlling it

remotely and
> automagically from the computer. I want to take a photograph every

minute and
> ftp it to my site. Most webcams are optimised for video at 30fps and

the quality
> isn't good enough. I want to take one decent picture every minute,

not 30 crap
> ones every second.
>
> I remember my old Fuji DX-10 had a 'flash twain' (IIRC) driver which

opened up
> like a scanner driver from within photoshop or whatever, and you

could click the
> button and it would take a picture and send it down the serial cable,

bypassing
> the memory card.
>
> I no longer have the camera, but wondering if there are any others

which could
> do this either vis USB or serial. Something old, cheap and second

hand would be
> ideal.
>
> The only suggestions from the webcam group was to plug the TV out

fromthe camera
> into a video capture card. This isn't what I want to do as I want

decent
> pictures, correctly exposed (without flash...).
>
> Any suggestions?

The specs of the Canon dRebel say that you can use it for time lapse
photography alongwith a USB cable and computer.

Dps

> The specs of the Canon dRebel say that you can use it for time lapse
> photography alongwith a USB cable and computer.

I also know that canon provides with an SDK and you can fully control the
camera from the PC. At least for the 10D, which we bought for capturing
experiments in real -time.

Peter

2004-10-22, Christopher Pollard wrote:
>[snip]
> I no longer have the camera, but wondering if there are any others which could
> do this either vis USB or serial. Something old, cheap and second hand would be
> ideal.

I use an old 1 MPixel Kodak DC200. I have it connected to the computer
with a serial cable, and I wrote some Perl scripts to take a picture every
15 minutes, download it from the camera to the computer, and upload it to
my website. The computer runs Linux, and I use some free library which can
connect to the camera and take/download pictures. The camera has taken
more that 100000 photo's

-peter

Christopher Pollard

On 22 Oct 2004 02:45:26 -0700, "Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Something old, cheap and second
>hand would be ideal.
>
>The specs of the Canon dRebel say that you can use it for time lapse
>photography alongwith a USB cable and computer.

Hmmm... hardly old, cheap and second hand though, is it?

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Christopher Pollard

On 22 Oct 2004 12:37:31 GMT, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use an old 1 MPixel Kodak DC200. I have it connected to the computer
>with a serial cable, and I wrote some Perl scripts to take a picture every
>15 minutes, download it from the camera to the computer, and upload it to
>my website. The computer runs Linux, and I use some free library which can
>connect to the camera and take/download pictures. The camera has taken
>more that 100000 photo's

That sounds exactly what I'm looking for, could it be done with Windows?

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Jim Townsend

Christopher Pollard wrote:

> I've tried asking on a webcam group about this, but they can't seem to grasp
> what I really want...
>
> I want to use a digital camera as a webcam, by controlling it remotely and
> automagically from the computer. I want to take a photograph every minute and
> ftp it to my site. Most webcams are optimised for video at 30fps and the quality
> isn't good enough. I want to take one decent picture every minute, not 30 crap
> ones every second.

Many Canon models come with 'remote capture software'. This allows you to
plug the camera into a computer and use the computer to operate the camera
'by wire'. Images taken are stored directly on the computer hard drive.

This software does allow you to set unattended interval shooting as well.

With remote access software (such as Norton's pcAnywhere or perhaps even WinXP's
remote assistance feature), you can sit at a distant desk and run the camera from
there.

RacerX

If 1 Mp is a good enough size some new webcams can produce that good of an
image now, i have a logitech Orbit that can do 1.3 Mp. Also i have a digital
Rebel that can remote capture and do what your looking for @ 6.3Mp.

Check them out

Racer

"Christopher Pollard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've tried asking on a webcam group about this, but they can't seem to
> grasp
> what I really want...
>
> I want to use a digital camera as a webcam, by controlling it remotely and
> automagically from the computer. I want to take a photograph every minute
> and
> ftp it to my site. Most webcams are optimised for video at 30fps and the
> quality
> isn't good enough. I want to take one decent picture every minute, not 30
> crap
> ones every second.
>
> I remember my old Fuji DX-10 had a 'flash twain' (IIRC) driver which
> opened up
> like a scanner driver from within photoshop or whatever, and you could
> click the
> button and it would take a picture and send it down the serial cable,
> bypassing
> the memory card.
>
> I no longer have the camera, but wondering if there are any others which
> could
> do this either vis USB or serial. Something old, cheap and second hand
> would be
> ideal.
>
> The only suggestions from the webcam group was to plug the TV out fromthe
> camera
> into a video capture card. This isn't what I want to do as I want decent
> pictures, correctly exposed (without flash...).
>
> Any suggestions?
> --
> Chris Pollard
>

> CG Internet café, Tagum City, Philippines
> http://www.cginternet.net

Siddhartha Jain

Christopher Pollard wrote:
> On 22 Oct 2004 12:37:31 GMT, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >I use an old 1 MPixel Kodak DC200. I have it connected to the

computer
> >with a serial cable, and I wrote some Perl scripts to take a picture

every
> >15 minutes, download it from the camera to the computer, and upload

it to
> >my website. The computer runs Linux, and I use some free library

which can
> >connect to the camera and take/download pictures. The camera has

taken
> >more that 100000 photo's

> That sounds exactly what I'm looking for, could it be done with

Windows?

You do have perl for Windows so if Peter lends you his scripts, you
should be able to.

Cheers,

Siddhartha

Peter

2004-10-22, Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> Christopher Pollard wrote:
>> On 22 Oct 2004 12:37:31 GMT, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> >I use an old 1 MPixel Kodak DC200. I have it connected to the

> computer
>> >with a serial cable, and I wrote some Perl scripts to take a picture

> every
>> >15 minutes, download it from the camera to the computer, and upload

> it to
>> >my website. The computer runs Linux, and I use some free library

> which can
>> >connect to the camera and take/download pictures. The camera has

> taken
>> >more that 100000 photo's

>> That sounds exactly what I'm looking for, could it be done with

> Windows?
>
> You do have perl for Windows so if Peter lends you his scripts, you
> should be able to.

Well - the problem would be the library I use to talk to the camera - I
have a linux version which has some commands like take picture/
download/etc which I call from the Perl script. Something like
that for windows would be needed as well. (Which probably exists, but I
don't know about it). But even for other camera's similar software must be
available (I would think ).

-peter