Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Plustek OpticFilm 7200dpi (optical resolution) 35mm dedicated film scanner

Plustek OpticFilm 7200dpi (optical resolution) 35mm dedicated film scanner

Chris Street

From: Joe Cash ((E-Mail Removed))
Subject: Re: what dpi for scanning film negatives ?
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 2004-09-02 13:16:32 PST

Chris Street wrote:
> I've heard the new Plustek Opticfilm 7200 scans at 7200dpi true
> optical resolution. Has anyone use it for scanning negs?
> http://tinyurl.com/4a3h2
>
> Chris Street

I've also heard that Santa Claus actually lives with the elves in the
North Pole.

7200dpi true optical resolution? Some guys will beleive anything. P.T.
Barnum would have like to do business with you.

Amateur Photographer, Practical Photographer, Digital Photo have
tested the OpticFilm 7200 and confirm it is a true optical 7200dpi
resolution. Amateur Photographer said (i quote the 9th October issue)
'a groundbreaking 7200dpi optical resolution capable of transforming a
35mm frame into a 300ppi image measuring 34'x22.5' (86x57cm) - A1 in
paper sizes - or a small section enlarged to fit an A3 print'

and Amateur Photographer says

'For perhaps the first time we are seeing an eminently usable scanner
at a price that the consumer can genuinely afford, and for this,
Plustek should receive a standing ovation'

DataMind have all the reviews: http://tinyurl.com/6k76b

Can you bring P.T. Barnum along for tea?

Chris Street

andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid

Chris Street <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> From: Joe Cash ((E-Mail Removed))

> > 7200dpi true optical resolution? Some guys will beleive anything. P.T.
> > Barnum would have like to do business with you.

> Amateur Photographer, Practical Photographer, Digital Photo have
> tested the OpticFilm 7200 and confirm it is a true optical 7200dpi
> resolution.

Actually, I don't think they did. As far as I can tell from the
review, AP didn't actually measure the resolution of the scanner.
Given that a real 7200 ppi is such an astonishing claim, it's
surprising that thy couldn't find out for sure.

> Amateur Photographer said (i quote the 9th October issue) 'a
> groundbreaking 7200dpi optical resolution capable of transforming a
> 35mm frame into a 300ppi image measuring 34'x22.5' (86x57cm) - A1 in
> paper sizes - or a small section enlarged to fit an A3 print'

Which is a really strange thing to say -- that corresponds to
resolution on the film of 140 lp/mm. Now, I know that Zeiss claim [1]
to have bettered that with special lenses, tech pan, and high contrast
targets. Back in the real world, where contrast is much lower, colour
film runs at 40-60 lpmm.

Andrew.

[1] http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A8003B58B9...256CEF002B0240

gsum

I wouldn't trust a word that AP says about digital. Their reviews of the
D100 and the recently released Epson flatbed (both products that
I'm very familiar with) were inaccurate and shoddy pieces of work.
AP's statement that a 35mm frame can be transformed into a 300ppi
image measuring 34'x22.5' (86x57cm) is another demonstration that
they don't know what they're talking about.

Graham

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chris Street <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > From: Joe Cash ((E-Mail Removed))

> > > 7200dpi true optical resolution? Some guys will beleive anything. P.T.
> > > Barnum would have like to do business with you.

> > Amateur Photographer, Practical Photographer, Digital Photo have
> > tested the OpticFilm 7200 and confirm it is a true optical 7200dpi
> > resolution.

> Actually, I don't think they did. As far as I can tell from the
> review, AP didn't actually measure the resolution of the scanner.
> Given that a real 7200 ppi is such an astonishing claim, it's
> surprising that thy couldn't find out for sure.
>
> > Amateur Photographer said (i quote the 9th October issue) 'a
> > groundbreaking 7200dpi optical resolution capable of transforming a
> > 35mm frame into a 300ppi image measuring 34'x22.5' (86x57cm) - A1 in
> > paper sizes - or a small section enlarged to fit an A3 print'

> Which is a really strange thing to say -- that corresponds to
> resolution on the film of 140 lp/mm. Now, I know that Zeiss claim [1]
> to have bettered that with special lenses, tech pan, and high contrast
> targets. Back in the real world, where contrast is much lower, colour
> film runs at 40-60 lpmm.
>
> Andrew.
>
> [1]

http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A8003B58B9...EE72C1256CEF00
2B0240

Chris Street

AP uses this reasoning. But is it correct reasoning?

If I buy a 7200 dpi resolution scanner (Plustek OpticFilm 7200) what
size prints can I produce from a full frame 35mm film?

Answer: 34" x 23" (A1 size)

The Maths! 1"=25.4mm. A 35mm film is 36.5 x 24.2mm = 1.44" x 0.95".
Assuming that you require 'magazine quality' output then print should
be output at 300 pixels per inch. 1.44" length film when scanned at
7200 dpi gives 10368 pixels. 0.95" width film when scanned at 7200 dpi
gives 6840 pixels. Output at 300 pixels per inch gives a print of 34.5
" (10368/300) x 22.8" (6840/300) - about A1 size. (A1 = 33" x 23.4")

Chris Street, DataMind
www.datamind.co.uk