Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Canon 300D...... LENSES?

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Canon 300D...... LENSES?

 
 
JPS@no.komm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2004
In message <Pg8ed.65$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Linda_N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tamron is not a brand I've considered, nor Tokina or Vivitar. I've just read
>too many bad things in the past about each. I've not checked ratings on any
>of them in the last few years and it could be that they too are getting
>better, like Sigma. Either way though when someone stands behind a
>particular lens they have I like to check it out. Sharpness is important. AF
>speed is not a big deal because I take very few shots that require very fast
>focusing. Add to that the fact that I like manual focus (ring especially)
>because it just makes me feel more important hehehe. AF makes photography
>monkey's work.


Manual focusing on the Tamron 90mm macro is beautiful. Silky smooth, no
play, no "bang" when you change directions, and just enough friction so
that you don't knock it out of focus as you take your fingers away.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael A. Covington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2004
>> My Tamron 90mm macro is the only lens I've used on my 10D where the
>> images really snap in the viewfinder when you are in focus.


"Snap" may not say anything about the quality of the lens. Mostly, in
indicates a fast lens (low f-ratio, which is desirable for its own reasons)
and perhaps a focusing mechanism where a small turn of the ring will change
the focus a lot, so that it "snaps" into focus suddenly.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
GT40
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2004
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:48:44 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>In message <Pg8ed.65$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>"Linda_N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Tamron is not a brand I've considered, nor Tokina or Vivitar. I've just read
>>too many bad things in the past about each. I've not checked ratings on any
>>of them in the last few years and it could be that they too are getting
>>better, like Sigma. Either way though when someone stands behind a
>>particular lens they have I like to check it out. Sharpness is important. AF
>>speed is not a big deal because I take very few shots that require very fast
>>focusing. Add to that the fact that I like manual focus (ring especially)
>>because it just makes me feel more important hehehe. AF makes photography
>>monkey's work.

>
>Manual focusing on the Tamron 90mm macro is beautiful. Silky smooth, no
>play, no "bang" when you change directions, and just enough friction so
>that you don't knock it out of focus as you take your fingers away.


Good to know, seems like trying to manually focus AF lenses is getting
harder and harder.

 
Reply With Quote
 
JPS@no.komm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2004
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
GT40 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:48:44 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:


>>Manual focusing on the Tamron 90mm macro is beautiful. Silky smooth, no
>>play, no "bang" when you change directions, and just enough friction so
>>that you don't knock it out of focus as you take your fingers away.


>Good to know, seems like trying to manually focus AF lenses is getting
>harder and harder.


The AF/MF switch on the Tamron 90mm macro is the focus ring, push/pull.
The modes are totally independent of each other (no manual over-ride in
AF), and the AF mechanism gets disengaged when you put it in manual.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

 
Reply With Quote
 
JPS@no.komm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2004
In message <417975ad$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Michael A. Covington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> My Tamron 90mm macro is the only lens I've used on my 10D where the
>>> images really snap in the viewfinder when you are in focus.

>
>"Snap" may not say anything about the quality of the lens. Mostly, in
>indicates a fast lens (low f-ratio, which is desirable for its own reasons)
>and perhaps a focusing mechanism where a small turn of the ring will change
>the focus a lot, so that it "snaps" into focus suddenly.


What I mean is that you can really see lots of contrast in detail,
moreso than any of my other f2.8 or faster lenses.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael A. Covington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2004
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <417975ad$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Michael A. Covington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>>> My Tamron 90mm macro is the only lens I've used on my 10D where the
>>>> images really snap in the viewfinder when you are in focus.

>>
>>"Snap" may not say anything about the quality of the lens. Mostly, in
>>indicates a fast lens (low f-ratio, which is desirable for its own
>>reasons)
>>and perhaps a focusing mechanism where a small turn of the ring will
>>change
>>the focus a lot, so that it "snaps" into focus suddenly.

>
> What I mean is that you can really see lots of contrast in detail,
> moreso than any of my other f2.8 or faster lenses.


That's a good sign.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Georgette Preddy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2004
"Linda_N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<GfZdd.28$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "GT40" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:45:06 -0300, "Linda_N"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>"GT40" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> >>>
> >>> I would avoid consumer Sigma lenses, the pro line is much better.
> >>> That said, you are always better going with camera brand lenses, ie,
> >>> Canon lens on a Canon camera, and Nikon on Nikon, etc..
> >>>
> >>> If you do want a Sigma lens, look for an HSM unit.
> >>
> >>When you say that you are always better going with camera brand lenses, do
> >>you mean that camera brand lenses 'always' produce a better image, are
> >>faster in autofocus, are more quiet and so on, or do you mean that they
> >>are
> >>better only because the mount is sure match? (no rechipping/refitting
> >>needed)

> >
> > All of the above. I know professionals who use the Sigma 120-300mm
> > 2.8 EX APO IF HSF lens. They claim the AF is slower and makes a
> > griding noise during autofocus and zoom,


That would be really interesting since its a USM (completely silent)
lens.

> > they also mentioned that
> > sometimes the lens didn't auto focus, or stoped auto focusing
> > unexpectadly. They like the optics just about the same as some of the
> > Canon glass, but for them the only advantage is price (which maybe
> > your issue).


Is price the "only advantage" when Canon and Nikon offer nothing
remotely competitive in the class? There are no alternatives, Sigma
makes the only professional quality 300mm zoom lens, see...

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel

Even Sigma's 70-300 APO Macro ($180) entry level lens dramatcially
outperforms the best Canon L 300mm-class zoom, which is of very poor
quality...

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel

> > Another issue, although I've never seen it, if there is a problem with
> > the camera and your not using the camera makes lens, they wont fix it.
> > Like I say, never seen it happen.

>
> I can't see that either because a person would only give the body. The
> manufacturer/authorized repair shop would not be aware of what lens(es) were
> used, they have test lenses in the shop.
>
> I'll look into your observations about only purchasing the HSF lenses from
> Sigma.


No such thing. "HSM" means the lenses are silent and extrememly fast
focusing, negating any possiblilty that they could grind, as he
falsely claimed above, before he knew what HSM meant.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Linda_N
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2004
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Manual focusing on the Tamron 90mm macro is beautiful. Silky smooth, no
> play, no "bang" when you change directions, and just enough friction so
> that you don't knock it out of focus as you take your fingers away.
> --

Thanks, JPS. I've looked at several reviews and they all say the same as
you. In fact PhotoGraphic has just published a review on the new Tamron 90mm
DI (digital) where they say it is a great lens especially for studio:
http://www.photographic.com/lenses/1004tamron/

The one problem seems to be several models prior to the digital model (DI).
Tamron SP 90mm F2.5 Macro ex+/ex++ $295.00 Cdn
Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Manual Macro Lens 1:1 Version ex++ $395.00 Cdn

Which one do you have? I would have thought f2.5 would be more expensive
than f2.8 but that is not the case here.

Linda


 
Reply With Quote
 
JPS@no.komm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2004
In message <s6ued.108$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Linda_N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> Manual focusing on the Tamron 90mm macro is beautiful. Silky smooth, no
>> play, no "bang" when you change directions, and just enough friction so
>> that you don't knock it out of focus as you take your fingers away.
>> --

>Thanks, JPS. I've looked at several reviews and they all say the same as
>you. In fact PhotoGraphic has just published a review on the new Tamron 90mm
>DI (digital) where they say it is a great lens especially for studio:
>http://www.photographic.com/lenses/1004tamron/
>
>The one problem seems to be several models prior to the digital model (DI).
>Tamron SP 90mm F2.5 Macro ex+/ex++ $295.00 Cdn
>Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Manual Macro Lens 1:1 Version ex++ $395.00 Cdn
>
>Which one do you have? I would have thought f2.5 would be more expensive
>than f2.8 but that is not the case here.


I have the brand new one; it's only been out a few months, I think.

On the box it is called "SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di". The model number is
272EE. I paid about $470 for it at B&H.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

 
Reply With Quote
 
Linda_N
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2004
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <s6ued.108$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Linda_N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Which one do you have? I would have thought f2.5 would be more expensive
>>than f2.8 but that is not the case here.

>
> I have the brand new one; it's only been out a few months, I think.
>
> On the box it is called "SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di". The model number is
> 272EE. I paid about $470 for it at B&H.
> --


Thanks, JPS. I found out the two I listed are older models (prior to the
fully digital Di that you have). The f/2.5 is FULLY manual and the oldest
model, and the f/2.8 is AF with a Manual switch and is the slightly improved
successor of the f/2.5 explaining why it is $100 more. The Di you have is
the newest, fully digital and lighter than the earlier models. It is always
double the price! I think I can live without the Di, and just go for the
f/2.8 AF/M. All three received excellent reviews from users and reviewers
alike.

Linda


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon should be totally ashamed of this (and some others too) HP got this basic and absolutely essential thing right in their little digicam that's cheap even for a P&S, so why can't Canon?!! Yes, I know, there's more to the Canon 20D, b Mike Henley Digital Photography 43 12-15-2004 05:21 PM
Difference between Canon G5 and Canon S50 zxcvar Digital Photography 6 07-23-2003 09:47 AM
APS Canon IXUS versus digital Canon IXUS ( a question for the pros ) Davidgilmour2003@hotmail.com Digital Photography 4 07-20-2003 05:48 AM
Canon ixus 400 or canon ixus 2 ? David J. Gilmour Digital Photography 7 07-20-2003 12:00 AM
reading compact flash on different camera than used to take photos (canon to canon) Jim Digital Photography 0 07-15-2003 08:13 PM



Advertisments