Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Online store prices

Reply
Thread Tools

Online store prices

 
 
Steven M. Scharf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2004

"Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have been seeing camera prices at online stores for some time now
> (for the 300D). What I can't understand is how come the camera prices
> vary so much from store to store. For eg. the Canon dRebel with the kit
> lens goes for $805 at Beachcamera before rebate but the same deal is
> for $999 at Ritzcamera and for $879 at B&H and Adorama. And all four
> are rated well at resellerratings.
>
> Whats the rationale? Why would anyone buy from Ritz at all given a $200
> difference between Ritz and beachcamera? Or even the $120 difference
> between Ritz and B&H. And Ritz isn't the only one adverstising $999.
> There are others if you search through Bizrate.


Not everyone knows about the New York sellers, or assumes that all of them
are crooks. People are comfortable with Ritz.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Siddhartha Jain
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2004
Michael A. Covington wrote:
> Bear in mind that he'll have to pay New Jersey sales tax (I don't

know the
> percentage). Merchandise that is shipped across state lines is not

taxed.
>
> HOWEVER, I would rather deal with a more established dealer (B&H or
> Adorama). 60 more dollars and a lot more peace of mind.
>
> If you can verify that this other dealer actually has the

merchandise, and
> will sell it at that price, and that it is USA warranted (not "gray

market")
> merchandise, then go ahead.


BeachCamera has good rating on resellerratings. Plus I am not ordering
online from them. So if the in-store deal is the same and the package
has all the standard contents then I don't care whether its
beachcamera, B&H or Adorama. I just care about the lowest price.

The US warranty is anyways useless to me because my cousin will get it
back to India for me.

As for tax, I added the camera to my cart at beachcamera and put in the
NJ address of my cousin and it showed me zero tax and zero shipping.
Cheers,

Siddhartha

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
S.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2004

"Steven M. Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HQ9ed.4202$%(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>
> "Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been seeing camera prices at online stores for some time now
>> (for the 300D). What I can't understand is how come the camera prices
>> vary so much from store to store. For eg. the Canon dRebel with the kit
>> lens goes for $805 at Beachcamera before rebate but the same deal is
>> for $999 at Ritzcamera and for $879 at B&H and Adorama. And all four
>> are rated well at resellerratings.
>>
>> Whats the rationale? Why would anyone buy from Ritz at all given a $200
>> difference between Ritz and beachcamera? Or even the $120 difference
>> between Ritz and B&H. And Ritz isn't the only one adverstising $999.
>> There are others if you search through Bizrate.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Siddhartha


Ritz/Wolf online is always higher. They are hoping that a lot of people,
(especially novices) familiar with their brick and mortar stores "trust"
them so they don't look elsewhere. They do have those high rents and
payrolls to pay. Generally I won't shop at Ritz because of their higher
prices and they push those awful Quantaray lenses and push for you to join
their "discount club". That being said, I did buy my 20D body from a local
Wolf store for $1,499....the same price as others have it.

S.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Barr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2004

>
> Whats the rationale? Why would anyone buy from Ritz at all given a $200
> difference between Ritz and beachcamera? Or even the $120 difference
> between Ritz and B&H.


Maybe the stench generated by the NY mail order business is still
lingering. A lot of us are old enough to recall the pages & pages of
ads in the photo mags with microscopic print, and nervously sending off
checks that might as well be flushed down the john...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven Scharf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2004
"Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) roups.com>...

> Whats the rationale? Why would anyone buy from Ritz at all given a $200
> difference between Ritz and beachcamera? Or even the $120 difference
> between Ritz and B&H. And Ritz isn't the only one adverstising $999.
> There are others if you search through Bizrate.


Beach used to have a bad reputation, but they seem to have really
turned around, which is quite a rarity.

buydig.com and beachcamera.com are actually the same company, and I've
had a good experience with buydig.com. They usually have almost
identical prices, but it pays to check both since occasionally there
is a difference, and they sometimes have different free shipping
deals.

Beach Camera (BEACHCAMERA-DOM) 203 US Hwy 22 Greenbrook, NJ 08812 US
beach trading co. (BUYDIG-DOM) 203 route 22 east greenbrook, NJ 08812
US

OTOH, there are a great many rip-off places, that appear in the
pricing search engines. I wish that Elliott Spitzer would go after
some of these places.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael A. Covington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2004

"Steven Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...

> Beach used to have a bad reputation, but they seem to have really
> turned around, which is quite a rarity.
>
> buydig.com and beachcamera.com are actually the same company, and I've
> had a good experience with buydig.com. They usually have almost
> identical prices, but it pays to check both since occasionally there
> is a difference, and they sometimes have different free shipping
> deals.


I notice that buydig.com really pushes accessory kits. Do they balk at
letting you order the camera without the accessory kit?


 
Reply With Quote
 
DDDD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2004
I checked with Willoughbys Est.1898 and they have the 300D with the lens for
$669 with free shipping. I called them and asked a few questions and they
were very helpful. I haven't odered it yet but plan to. They have a 5 star
rating from dpreview.com, who I believe is very reputable and the reviews on
the site are very positive.

DDDD

"Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Ken Burns wrote:
>> Ritz sells at MSRP or higher.

>
> Yes, but who buys at those prices and why?
>
>> B&H and Adorama usually have accurate
>> advertised prices. Have you verified Beach Camera's price?

> Yep, the site does say $819 before $100 rebate.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
DDDD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2004
Sorry, but I gave the price without lens. The kit price with the lens is
$729 after the $100 rebate.

DDDD

"DDDD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:285ad$417bc622$45234d75$6601@allthenewsgroups .com...
>I checked with Willoughbys Est.1898 and they have the 300D with the lens
>for $669 with free shipping. I called them and asked a few questions and
>they were very helpful. I haven't odered it yet but plan to. They have a
>5 star rating from dpreview.com, who I believe is very reputable and the
>reviews on the site are very positive.
>
> DDDD
>
> "Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Ken Burns wrote:
>>> Ritz sells at MSRP or higher.

>>
>> Yes, but who buys at those prices and why?
>>
>>> B&H and Adorama usually have accurate
>>> advertised prices. Have you verified Beach Camera's price?

>> Yep, the site does say $819 before $100 rebate.
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven Scharf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2004
"Michael A. Covington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<41799a21$(E-Mail Removed)>...

>
> I notice that buydig.com really pushes accessory kits. Do they balk at
> letting you order the camera without the accessory kit?


I ordered an S500 online from them. They never called to try to sell
me anything extra. That is one data point, FWIW.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where can I find a reliable store with really good prices on a Sony Vx2100 plus accessories? francisco dania DVD Video 1 08-11-2004 02:09 PM



Advertisments