Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Online store prices

Online store prices

Siddhartha Jain

Hi,

I have been seeing camera prices at online stores for some time now
(for the 300D). What I can't understand is how come the camera prices
vary so much from store to store. For eg. the Canon dRebel with the kit
lens goes for $805 at Beachcamera before rebate but the same deal is
for $999 at Ritzcamera and for $879 at B&H and Adorama. And all four
are rated well at resellerratings.

Whats the rationale? Why would anyone buy from Ritz at all given a $200
difference between Ritz and beachcamera? Or even the $120 difference
between Ritz and B&H. And Ritz isn't the only one adverstising $999.
There are others if you search through Bizrate.

Cheers,

Siddhartha

Ken Burns

Ritz sells at MSRP or higher. B&H and Adorama usually have accurate
advertised prices. Have you verified Beach Camera's price?

KB

"Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have been seeing camera prices at online stores for some time now
> (for the 300D). What I can't understand is how come the camera prices
> vary so much from store to store. For eg. the Canon dRebel with the kit
> lens goes for $805 at Beachcamera before rebate but the same deal is
> for $999 at Ritzcamera and for $879 at B&H and Adorama. And all four
> are rated well at resellerratings.
>
> Whats the rationale? Why would anyone buy from Ritz at all given a $200
> difference between Ritz and beachcamera? Or even the $120 difference
> between Ritz and B&H. And Ritz isn't the only one adverstising $999.
> There are others if you search through Bizrate.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Siddhartha

Siddhartha Jain

Ken Burns wrote:
> Ritz sells at MSRP or higher.

Yes, but who buys at those prices and why?

> B&H and Adorama usually have accurate
> advertised prices. Have you verified Beach Camera's price?

Yep, the site does say $819 before $100 rebate.

Ken Burns

>> B&H and Adorama usually have accurate
>> advertised prices. Have you verified Beach Camera's price?

> Yep, the site does say $819 before $100 rebate.

But, have you called them on the phone and tried to place an order at that
price?

Siddhartha Jain

Ken Burns wrote:
> >> B&H and Adorama usually have accurate
> >> advertised prices. Have you verified Beach Camera's price?

> > Yep, the site does say $819 before $100 rebate.
> >

> But, have you called them on the phone and tried to place an order at

that
> price?

Ohh!! Not yet. I am waiting for the black rebel to appear on the
shelves. Then I'll ask my cousin who stays in NJ to goto the store and
buy it.

Michael A. Covington

"Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> > Yep, the site does say $819 before $100 rebate.
>> >

>> But, have you called them on the phone and tried to place an order at

> that
>> price?

> Ohh!! Not yet. I am waiting for the black rebel to appear on the
> shelves. Then I'll ask my cousin who stays in NJ to goto the store and
> buy it.

Bear in mind that he'll have to pay New Jersey sales tax (I don't know the
percentage). Merchandise that is shipped across state lines is not taxed.

HOWEVER, I would rather deal with a more established dealer (B&H or
Adorama). 60 more dollars and a lot more peace of mind.

If you can verify that this other dealer actually has the merchandise, and
will sell it at that price, and that it is USA warranted (not "gray market")
merchandise, then go ahead.

Jer

Siddhartha Jain wrote:

>>>Yep, the site does say $819 before $100 rebate.
>>>

>>But, have you called them on the phone and tried to place an order at

> that
>
>>price?

> Ohh!! Not yet. I am waiting for the black rebel to appear on the
> shelves. Then I'll ask my cousin who stays in NJ to goto the store and
> buy it.

Can your cousin shop in-store for the same price as shown on the
internet portal? Yeah, I know, double standards and all that rot, but
it happens all the time.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Big Bill

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 06:52:44 -0400, "Michael A. Covington"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>>> >
>>> But, have you called them on the phone and tried to place an order at

>> that
>>> price?

>> Ohh!! Not yet. I am waiting for the black rebel to appear on the
>> shelves. Then I'll ask my cousin who stays in NJ to goto the store and
>> buy it.

>Bear in mind that he'll have to pay New Jersey sales tax (I don't know the
>percentage). Merchandise that is shipped across state lines is not taxed.
>
>HOWEVER, I would rather deal with a more established dealer (B&H or
>Adorama). 60 more dollars and a lot more peace of mind.
>
>If you can verify that this other dealer actually has the merchandise, and
>will sell it at that price, and that it is USA warranted (not "gray market")
>merchandise, then go ahead.

Nowadays, you need to ask about the *Canon* USA warranty.
A Mack USA warranty is available, even for gray market cameras.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Steven M. Scharf

"Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have been seeing camera prices at online stores for some time now
> (for the 300D). What I can't understand is how come the camera prices
> vary so much from store to store. For eg. the Canon dRebel with the kit
> lens goes for $805 at Beachcamera before rebate but the same deal is
> for $999 at Ritzcamera and for $879 at B&H and Adorama. And all four
> are rated well at resellerratings.
>
> Whats the rationale? Why would anyone buy from Ritz at all given a $200
> difference between Ritz and beachcamera? Or even the $120 difference
> between Ritz and B&H. And Ritz isn't the only one adverstising $999.
> There are others if you search through Bizrate.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Siddhartha

Siddhartha Jain

Jer wrote:
> Can your cousin shop in-store for the same price as shown on the
> internet portal? Yeah, I know, double standards and all that rot,

but
> it happens all the time.

Don't know about BeachCamera's policy. Thats why I am sending my cousin
to check so he can get the best price possible and check the
merchandise and the deal. If he's not satisfied with the deal, we'll
order from Adorama or B&H.

I bought some stuff off B&H and they didn't charge me any tax for
shipping to NJ.

Also, I checked with B&H about the Black Digital Rebel and the customer
rep said he had no clue about its availability. But Ritzcamera is
selling it and shows it as "In Stock"!! How is that?
Cheers,

Siddhartha