Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Protecting camera in very cold temperatures

Protecting camera in very cold temperatures

Joe Kim

Hi everyone,

How would I protect my Canon D60 and camear equipment/accessories in
very cold temperatures? I am planning on going to Yosemite in
February where temperatures can be below freezing at noon in that time
of the year. Last thing I want is to come back with the love of my
life (my D60 of course) damaged. Thanks for your help.

Arthur Small

Keep it inside your coat. Remove it only to shoot.

Jim Townsend

Joe Kim wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> How would I protect my Canon D60 and camear equipment/accessories in
> very cold temperatures? I am planning on going to Yosemite in
> February where temperatures can be below freezing at noon in that time
> of the year. Last thing I want is to come back with the love of my
> life (my D60 of course) damaged. Thanks for your help.

Protect it the same way you'd protect yourself

Keep it indoors or in a car until you're ready to shoot.
If you're hiking with, wear a loose jacket and keep
the camera under it next to your body.

I've had my 10D out on a tripod for over 1/2 hour at 25F below
without any ill effects.

If you take the cold camera into a humid environment, you
might want to wrap it in a plastic bag to keep excess
condensation from forming on it.

Condensation generally isn't a big problem in extremely low
temperatures because heating generally lowers the indoor
relative humidity.. Most people who live in very cold places
complain about the indoor dryness during winter.

Of course, if you go into a crowded place or somewhere with
an effective humidifier, then the bag would be a good idea.

Dave Herzstein

Joe Kim wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> How would I protect my Canon D60 and camear equipment/accessories in
> very cold temperatures? I am planning on going to Yosemite in
> February where temperatures can be below freezing at noon in that time
> of the year. Last thing I want is to come back with the love of my
> life (my D60 of course) damaged. Thanks for your help.

Cold won't hurt the camera, but keep it dry. If its snowing, let the
camera cool to the outdoor temperature and the snow will bounce right
off. When bringing a cold camera indoors (or into your heated car),
avoid condensation - keep the camera in a closed camera bag or a large
zip-lock with the air removed. (Same applies to lenses)

Cold *will* affect your battery's performance. Keep a spare battery in
your pocket (protect from shorting out against coins or keys). Swap
batteries often to keep them warm, ideally swap out a battery before the
camera reports low power.

-Dave

Joe Kim

Dave Herzstein <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Joe Kim wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > How would I protect my Canon D60 and camear equipment/accessories in
> > very cold temperatures? I am planning on going to Yosemite in
> > February where temperatures can be below freezing at noon in that time
> > of the year. Last thing I want is to come back with the love of my
> > life (my D60 of course) damaged. Thanks for your help.

> Cold won't hurt the camera, but keep it dry. If its snowing, let the
> camera cool to the outdoor temperature and the snow will bounce right
> off. When bringing a cold camera indoors (or into your heated car),
> avoid condensation - keep the camera in a closed camera bag or a large
> zip-lock with the air removed. (Same applies to lenses)
>
> Cold *will* affect your battery's performance. Keep a spare battery in
> your pocket (protect from shorting out against coins or keys). Swap
> batteries often to keep them warm, ideally swap out a battery before the
> camera reports low power.
>
> -Dave

Great, thank you very much Dave!