Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pentax *ist-DS ?

Pentax *ist-DS ?

Bill Tuthill

As a Minolta shooter who's been following the D7 announcements,
it occurred to me that I could buy a Pentax *ist D plus lenses
for less than the announced price of the Minolta D7.

Furthermore the *ist-D is lighter and smaller, especially heightwise,
so it fits inside the Pelican box I use for rafting and kayaking.

Moreover the Pentax 16-45/4 DA and 18-35/4-5.6 J lenses seem
very attractive. They could be combined in a kit with a 300/4.5
because all accept size 67 filters. As do the 24-90/3.5-4.5 and
200/4 macro (which after crop factor would be a 300 equivalent).

When is the *ist-DS supposed to arrive in stores? Although missing
MLU and perhaps DOF preview (the latter would be a show-stopper)
it seems fine, and weighs even less than the *ist-D.

On the dpreview.com comparison page of the *ist-DS and *ist-D,
what does the term "program lines" mean?

Any general remarks about the worthiness of the *ist-DS or *ist-D?

Charlie Self

Bill Tuthill asks:

>Any general remarks about the worthiness of the *ist-DS or *ist-D?

*istD. I've had mine maybe 3-1/2 months, have shot about 2000 pix.

Very easy to use. Two faults I can find, both tiny: the upside down insertion
of the CF card; the flat strap holders that make it difficult to get different
straps without some hassle (and the right side on gets in the way of closing
the CF door).

I'd also like to see a remote release longer than 19" or so, but that's Pentax
AF all over, not just the *istD. I've jury rigged a Radio Shack special, but
too often the weight of the jury rig pulls it partway loose, so the camera
doesn't fire, something of a PITA when you're 15' away.

Pix are maybe a shade soft coming out of the camera, but sharpen up as well as
any I've seen.

The camera is light and appears sturdy, though the CF door is flimsy (most of
them seem to be).

The 16-45 lens makes a decent 'normal' lens, even though it is very slow.

Charlie Self
"When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not
hereditary." Thomas Paine

Charles

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:17:19 -0000, Bill Tuthill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>As a Minolta shooter who's been following the D7 announcements,
>it occurred to me that I could buy a Pentax *ist D plus lenses
>for less than the announced price of the Minolta D7.
>
>Furthermore the *ist-D is lighter and smaller, especially heightwise,
>so it fits inside the Pelican box I use for rafting and kayaking.
>
>Moreover the Pentax 16-45/4 DA and 18-35/4-5.6 J lenses seem
>very attractive. They could be combined in a kit with a 300/4.5
>because all accept size 67 filters. As do the 24-90/3.5-4.5 and
>200/4 macro (which after crop factor would be a 300 equivalent).
>
>When is the *ist-DS supposed to arrive in stores? Although missing
>MLU and perhaps DOF preview (the latter would be a show-stopper)
>it seems fine, and weighs even less than the *ist-D.
>
>On the dpreview.com comparison page of the *ist-DS and *ist-D,
>what does the term "program lines" mean?
>
>Any general remarks about the worthiness of the *ist-DS or *ist-D?

Only thing I have to offer, don't buy it without handling it first.
It's small, my hands are too big and clumsy for it.
--

- Charles
-

Alan Browne

Bill Tuthill wrote:

> As a Minolta shooter who's been following the D7 announcements,
> it occurred to me that I could buy a Pentax *ist D plus lenses
> for less than the announced price of the Minolta D7.

er, don't you have Minolta lenses too? Really want to split systems?

(And, really, the street price will eventually collapse).

> On the dpreview.com comparison page of the *ist-DS and *ist-D,
> what does the term "program lines" mean?

Link? I can't find it.

> Any general remarks about the worthiness of the *ist-DS or *ist-D?

If you're going to maintain two systems, maybe your diital system should be the
Olympus E-1...?

Cheers,
Alan

Owamanga

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:31:27 -0400, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bill Tuthill wrote:
>
>> As a Minolta shooter who's been following the D7 announcements,
>> it occurred to me that I could buy a Pentax *ist D plus lenses
>> for less than the announced price of the Minolta D7.

>er, don't you have Minolta lenses too? Really want to split systems?
>
>(And, really, the street price will eventually collapse).
>
>> On the dpreview.com comparison page of the *ist-DS and *ist-D,
>> what does the term "program lines" mean?

>Link? I can't find it.
>>
>> Any general remarks about the worthiness of the *ist-DS or *ist-D?

>If you're going to maintain two systems, maybe your diital system should be the
>Olympus E-1...?
>
>Cheers,
>Alan

...and a medium format enlarger and an underwater flash.

--
Owamanga!

Gaderian

Bill Tuthill wrote:

> Moreover the Pentax 16-45/4 DA and 18-35/4-5.6 J lenses seem
> very attractive. They could be combined in a kit with a 300/4.5
> because all accept size 67 filters. As do the 24-90/3.5-4.5 and
> 200/4 macro (which after crop factor would be a 300 equivalent).
>
> When is the *ist-DS supposed to arrive in stores? Although missing
> MLU and perhaps DOF preview (the latter would be a show-stopper)
> it seems fine, and weighs even less than the *ist-D.
>
> On the dpreview.com comparison page of the *ist-DS and *ist-D,
> what does the term "program lines" mean?
>
> Any general remarks about the worthiness of the *ist-DS or *ist-D?

I bought the *istD about 3 months ago and love it after about 1500+
pictures. My main decision for buying it was the fact I own 3 other Pentax
lenses that work perfectly and I had already bought the AF360FGZ flash that
Pentax is recommending for this camera.

These are the only 2 cons I found so far:
1. As already mentioned, the CF card can be a little difficult to eject if
you have a strap on your camera but all I do is turn the camera sideways
then it slides out okay.
2. There is a new firmware update for this model. If you screw up the
process, the camera will not work and you have to take the camera to Pentax.
I had no problems during the upgrade but the process requires fully charged
batteries or the optional AC adapter. The firmware update should be done
for a recent purchase but check before you buy.

I've bought the optional battery grip which allows 4 more batteries and for
me it makes it slightly larger and easier to handle with my hands. I
presently use 4 CR-V3 batteries in the camera body and 4 lithium in the
grip. So far the battery indicator is showing fully charged after all of
the photo's I've taken, BUT I do use the external flash most of the time if
a flash is required. This camera will use any type of AA batteries but I'm
sticking to lithium or better as a personal preference.

I highly recommend the Pentax AF360FGZ flash unit for the *istD for all of
the features but it's very expensive $300.00 CAD. However I tried my older
AF220T which also worked fine but I must admit, I'm really spoiled with the
AF360FGZ.

Anyhow my 2 cents worth.

Bandicoot

"Bill Tuthill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As a Minolta shooter who's been following the D7 announcements,
> it occurred to me that I could buy a Pentax *ist D plus lenses
> for less than the announced price of the Minolta D7.
>
> Furthermore the *ist-D is lighter and smaller, especially heightwise,
> so it fits inside the Pelican box I use for rafting and kayaking.
>
> Moreover the Pentax 16-45/4 DA and 18-35/4-5.6 J lenses seem
> very attractive. They could be combined in a kit with a 300/4.5
> because all accept size 67 filters. As do the 24-90/3.5-4.5 and
> 200/4 macro (which after crop factor would be a 300 equivalent).

You haven't asked for info. on these lens choices, so I'm not going to spout
any just now - but if you want it...

(Those 200 and 300 choices are _awesome_ though.)

> When is the *ist-DS supposed to arrive in stores? Although missing
> MLU and perhaps DOF preview (the latter would be a show-stopper)
> it seems fine, and weighs even less than the *ist-D.
>
> On the dpreview.com comparison page of the *ist-DS and *ist-D,
> what does the term "program lines" mean?

I don't know 100% for sure in the context of the *ist-DS, but I can tell you
what it means for an MZ-S and the other Pentax bodies I know of that use
that terminology, so I expect it is the same:

In 'program' mode the body is metering and then sets both a shutter speed
_and_ an aperture to fit the measured exposure (you knew that already)
which means that for almost any given meter reading there are lots of
different combinations of which speed and which aperture it will select. A
graph could be drawn with a line that would show which combination would be
chosen for any given measured exposure requirement. That is the "Program
Line".

Now, on the MZ-S there is more than one program line available, and you can
choose which the camera follows. The choices (on that body) are:

one that will always set as high a shutter speed as possible given the
available maximum aperture of the lens. Presumably good for sports or to
force shallow DoF;

one that will always set the smallest possible aperture - not sure if this
begins to close the aperture down as speeds get really long or not;

one - specially for gear heads and geeks - that reads data passed to it from
the attached lens (assuming it is of new enough design that it passes this
data) to determine the aperture that the lens has the best MTF score at;

and the defaault. The default seems to aim for mid-range apertures (not
sure if this takes the MTF data into account or not, it may well do) but
also takes focal length data from the lens, including the actual FL (in a
series of steps) that a zoom is zoomed to, and then opens up as necessary to
try to keep the speed to better than one over the FL. So, for example, with
a 200mm f2.8 it will keep the aperture at about f5.6 or 6.7 as light
decreases until the necessary shutter speed reaches 1/180, at which point,
as the light falls further, it will open the aperture till it hits f2.8, and
only then will it lengthen the speed any further.

I have a feeling that the *ist digitals may also have some of those
'portrait', 'landscape', 'closeup', 'sports' etc. "modes" that a lot of
consumer SLRs have,which to an extent might duplicate or substitute for some
of these choices. The advantage of using one of the program lines over one
of the "modes" is that you know exactly what the camera is going to do. Of
course, all that pre-supposes that you ever use it in program anyway.

I do use the MZ-S in program - sort of - quite often. This is because there
is a wheel right by the thumb that shifts you up and down the program line:
so if I'm working fast in the sort of situatoin where I would be following
the built in meter anyway (with or without some compensation applied) , I
can just see the program's 'recommendation' in the viewfinder and either
accept it or shift up or down the line as I wish to arrive at my prefered
aperture/speed combination. This is faster in rapidly changing light than
aperture or shutter priority alone, since you never get into that position
where the chosen aperture or speeds is suddenly to much / little for the
available speeds / apertures (if you see what I mean). There's also a
little button that at one push will take you straight back to the program's
'recommended' combination, which is also good when working fast. Not that I
do work fast very often...

> Any general remarks about the worthiness of the *ist-DS or *ist-D?

No specific experience here though - but do check they aren't _too_ small
for your hands. Compact size is good for most things, but some people find
them too small for their hands (though my hands are large yet a *ist film
feels fine - but then I'm used to Pentax who've always made compact bodies
compared to other manufacturers.)

Peter

Mark Roberts

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)otforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

>Bill Tuthill asks:
>
>>Any general remarks about the worthiness of the *ist-DS or *ist-D?

>*istD. I've had mine maybe 3-1/2 months, have shot about 2000 pix.
>
>Very easy to use. Two faults I can find, both tiny: the upside down insertion
>of the CF card; the flat strap holders that make it difficult to get different
>straps without some hassle (and the right side on gets in the way of closing
>the CF door).

Yep. I have the same complaint. Fortunately, with the prices of memory
cards coming down so drastically, I don't have to remove the card very
often now

>I'd also like to see a remote release longer than 19" or so, but that's Pentax
>AF all over, not just the *istD. I've jury rigged a Radio Shack special, but
>too often the weight of the jury rig pulls it partway loose, so the camera
>doesn't fire, something of a PITA when you're 15' away.

I have the IR remote. It's the way to go.

>Pix are maybe a shade soft coming out of the camera, but sharpen up as well as
>any I've seen.
>
>The camera is light and appears sturdy, though the CF door is flimsy (most of
>them seem to be).

My ist-D has been kicked around quite a bit and hasn't missed a beat
yet. It does feel very solid.

>The 16-45 lens makes a decent 'normal' lens, even though it is very slow.

I'm considering the new Tamron 17-35mm f/ 2.8-4 as it will work on my
film cameras as well. Hoping to make it a Christmas present to myself.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing

Charlie Self

Gaderian notes:

>I bought the *istD about 3 months ago and love it after about 1500+
>pictures. My main decision for buying it was the fact I own 3 other Pentax
>lenses that work perfectly and I had already bought the AF360FGZ flash that
>Pentax is recommending for this camera.
>
>These are the only 2 cons I found so far:
>1. As already mentioned, the CF card can be a little difficult to eject if
>you have a strap on your camera but all I do is turn the camera sideways
>then it slides out okay.

Yes. But I use my *istD on a tripod close to 90% of the time, so it's a real
nuisance to turn it on its side.

>2. There is a new firmware update for this model. If you screw up the
>process, the camera will not work and you have to take the camera to Pentax.
>I had no problems during the upgrade but the process requires fully charged
>batteries or the optional AC adapter. The firmware update should be done
>for a recent purchase but check before you buy.

First I've heard of that. I'll have to check the Pentax site.

>I've bought the optional battery grip which allows 4 more batteries and for
>me it makes it slightly larger and easier to handle with my hands. I
>presently use 4 CR-V3 batteries in the camera body and 4 lithium in the
>grip. So far the battery indicator is showing fully charged after all of
>the photo's I've taken, BUT I do use the external flash most of the time if
>a flash is required. This camera will use any type of AA batteries but I'm
>sticking to lithium or better as a personal preference.

Whew. I got over 1200 shots on my first set of lithium CR-V3s. I may be getting
close to 1000 on the second set. I have trouble imagining the need for extra
batteries, but I don't use the on-camera flash very often, and will use it less
shortly.

Charlie Self
"When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not
hereditary." Thomas Paine

Charlie Self

Mark Roberts remarks:

>I'm considering the new Tamron 17-35mm f/ 2.8-4 as it will work on my
>film cameras as well. Hoping to make it a Christmas present to myself

Hmmm. No. Not a good idea. I have a feeling photographic Xmas presents for me
this year had best be left up to someone else. New camera. Extra lens. Bunch of
filters. New studio flash unit, stand, wheels, softbox, plus some other stuff
I'm forgetting plus...well, it just ain't safe to add to that before maybe
March 1.