Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 35 Megapixel screen - future LCD technology

Reply
Thread Tools

35 Megapixel screen - future LCD technology

 
 
Gadgets
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2004
Something interesting from New Scientist, maybe overkill for existing video
frame sizes, but certainly nice for stills...

New display 'as clear as a glossy magazine'
The prototype still-image display unveiled at London's National Gallery this
week looked far from ready for the high street, but Hewlett-Packard is
confident that the revolutionary liquid-crystal display technology it has
developed will ultimately lead to ultra high-resolution flat screens ranging
in size from a magazine page to an advertising billboard. What is more, they
will use far less power than ordinary LCD screens, and can be made using
cheap printing technology.
Giant TV screens that hang on the wall have already escaped from the lab,
and electronic displays have appeared as small e-book screens, but they
cannot match the resolution of the colour printing process used in magazines
and books.
Conventional computer screens can only manage 1600 by 1200 pixels, and even
high-definition TV displays create their images with an array of 1920 by
1080 pixels at best. Now, HP reckons it can make an A4-sized screen with
7000 by 5000 pixels - matching the quality of a glossy magazine. HP says it
will be able to replicate this quality on screens all the way up to large
electronic posters and billboards.
In a standard LCD cell, layers of liquid crystals are sandwiched between two
polarising filters. Normally, successive layers of liquid crystals are
twisted in a way that rotates the polarised light passing through by 90
degrees.
But apply an electric field across the cell and the crystals line up so that
they no longer rotate the light, and the cell switches on. To keep the pixel
on or off, a transistor has to supply a "refresh" current 50 or 60 times per
second. This transistor is costly, and the refreshing process consumes
power.
Polymer posts
HP's new screen is different. It relies on a curious discovery made by its
engineers. When liquid crystals are put in contact with polymer "posts"
smaller than a micrometre across (see graphic), the rod-like liquid crystals
naturally align around the post in one of two directions: horizontally, or
tilted upward in a spiral around the post.
Applying an electric field switches their position from horizontal (a dark
pixel) to tilted (a lit pixel). Crucially, both states are stable, so when
the field is removed the liquid crystals stay where they are. This means the
screen draws no power once an image is displayed.
HP calls the new system a post aligned bistable nematic (PABN) LCD. To make
it, a printing plate covered with an array of sub-micrometre pits is smeared
with a clear polymer ink and stamped onto a transparent sheet of
polycarbonate plastic, creating a forest of polymer posts.
The sheet is overprinted with red, green and blue filters and thin metal
electrodes. A second transparent sheet is printed with electrodes, and a
liquid-crystal material is sandwiched between the two.
The crystals cling to the posts and the electrodes supply the electric field
that flips the crystals. Several thousand posts fit in the area of a
traditional LCD pixel, giving the display its very high resolution.
At this week's London launch, HP showed two 4 by 3-centimetre prototypes.
One was continually refreshed with new colour images to show how the display
can be changed about once a second, as would be expected when turning the
pages of an e-magazine. The other display had power only to supply the
backlight. The last image it had received was frozen on screen with no power
needed to maintain it.
The images on the prototypes were undeniably coarse, with visible blemishes
and faulty pixels. But HP stressed that PABN will not be ready for market
any time soon. Rather, the demonstration is proof that the technology works.
Adrian Geisow, manager of display research at HP's labs in Bristol, UK, says
screens the size of an open magazine spread should be possible within five
years.
"Power consumption will depend on how quickly you 'turn' the pages," he
says. Geisow estimates that the cost of making the PABN-based screens will
be one-fifth that of today's LCD flat screens. The speed at which the posts
change state is expected to improve, so a video-capable version has not been
ruled out.


Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
bmoag
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2004
I think there is some confusion here between the number of printed dots per
inch in a glossy magazine page and the actual dpi of that cmyk image in
terms of data density.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alfred Molon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gadgets says...
> Something interesting from New Scientist, maybe overkill for existing video
> frame sizes, but certainly nice for stills...
>
> New display 'as clear as a glossy magazine'
> The prototype still-image display unveiled at London's National Gallery this
> week looked far from ready for the high street, but Hewlett-Packard is
> confident that the revolutionary liquid-crystal display technology it has
> developed will ultimately lead to ultra high-resolution flat screens ranging
> in size from a magazine page to an advertising billboard. What is more, they
> will use far less power than ordinary LCD screens, and can be made using
> cheap printing technology.
> Giant TV screens that hang on the wall have already escaped from the lab,
> and electronic displays have appeared as small e-book screens, but they
> cannot match the resolution of the colour printing process used in magazines
> and books.
> Conventional computer screens can only manage 1600 by 1200 pixels, and even
> high-definition TV displays create their images with an array of 1920 by
> 1080 pixels at best. Now, HP reckons it can make an A4-sized screen with
> 7000 by 5000 pixels - matching the quality of a glossy magazine. HP says it
> will be able to replicate this quality on screens all the way up to large
> electronic posters and billboards.
> In a standard LCD cell, layers of liquid crystals are sandwiched between two
> polarising filters. Normally, successive layers of liquid crystals are
> twisted in a way that rotates the polarised light passing through by 90
> degrees.
> But apply an electric field across the cell and the crystals line up so that
> they no longer rotate the light, and the cell switches on. To keep the pixel
> on or off, a transistor has to supply a "refresh" current 50 or 60 times per
> second. This transistor is costly, and the refreshing process consumes
> power.
> Polymer posts
> HP's new screen is different. It relies on a curious discovery made by its
> engineers. When liquid crystals are put in contact with polymer "posts"
> smaller than a micrometre across (see graphic), the rod-like liquid crystals
> naturally align around the post in one of two directions: horizontally, or
> tilted upward in a spiral around the post.
> Applying an electric field switches their position from horizontal (a dark
> pixel) to tilted (a lit pixel). Crucially, both states are stable, so when
> the field is removed the liquid crystals stay where they are. This means the
> screen draws no power once an image is displayed.
> HP calls the new system a post aligned bistable nematic (PABN) LCD.


Not sure if I understand - does this display only have two states, dark
and bright ? No way to represent shades of grey ?
--

Alfred Molon
------------------------------
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympus_405080/
Olympus 5060 resource - http://myolympus.org/5060/
Olympus 8080 resource - http://myolympus.org/8080/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Owamanga
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2004
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:58:32 +0200, Alfred Molon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Applying an electric field switches their position from horizontal (a dark
>> pixel) to tilted (a lit pixel). Crucially, both states are stable, so when
>> the field is removed the liquid crystals stay where they are. This means the
>> screen draws no power once an image is displayed.
>> HP calls the new system a post aligned bistable nematic (PABN) LCD.

>
>Not sure if I understand - does this display only have two states, dark
>and bright ? No way to represent shades of grey ?


Hmm, I this is similar to the mirror-chip used in some rear-projection
TVs. The key is to oscillate the binary-state mirror fast enough to
simply change the mark-space ratio in order to affect the observed
brightness of the pixel. Obviously being power-efficient in a static
state doesn't help *that* much, other than to simplify addressing
circuitry so it only needs to communicate with a pixel when it's state
needs to change.

The other approach is to bunch these incredibly tiny binary pixels
together into groups of 256 for example to give an 8 bit capable
pixel. A color image would require at least 3 times that amount and
for decent color depth you'd be looking at tens of thousands of
sub-pixels per logical pixel. But if these are small enough, who cares
how many you need?

--
Owamanga!
 
Reply With Quote
 
eawckyegcy@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2004
Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Not sure if I understand - does this display only have two states, dark
> and bright ? No way to represent shades of grey ?


http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...G=Search&meta=
 
Reply With Quote
 
C J Campbell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2004

"Gadgets" <info@gadgetaus....com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Something interesting from New Scientist, maybe overkill for existing

video
> frame sizes, but certainly nice for stills...


The technology has been around for some time. Look at the May 26, 2000 press
release from Southampton University:
http://www.soton.ac.uk/~pubaffrs/0068.htm

It is good to see that HP and others are moving the technology forward. It
will be interesting to see what IBM and Dow Corning are developing with it.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gadgets
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2004
I guess an 8x12 pic at 300 dpi is 2400x3600 which is what they're comparing
to a magazine cover, disregarding that it would be printed with a 150lpi
screen... but still the monitor has to be better than the 1.3 megapixel
screen I'm looking at now eh?

The dark and bright states - with current LCD aren't all pixels at 100%
brightness, colour and intensity only controlled by how many are turned on
in an area?

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
usenet@imagenoir.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2004
Kibo informs me that "Gadgets" <info@gadgetaus....com> stated that:

>I guess an 8x12 pic at 300 dpi is 2400x3600 which is what they're comparing
>to a magazine cover, disregarding that it would be printed with a 150lpi
>screen... but still the monitor has to be better than the 1.3 megapixel
>screen I'm looking at now eh?


Indeed.

>The dark and bright states - with current LCD aren't all pixels at 100%
>brightness, colour and intensity only controlled by how many are turned on
>in an area?


No, they're not that bad. OTOH, the intensity of any single LCD pixel
can't (currently, at least) be controlled as finely as that of a CRT.

--
W
. | ,. w , "Some people are alive only because
\|/ \|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna condita delenda est
---^----^---------------------------------------------------------------
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLRSigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLR sigmaphotojapan@yahoo.com Digital Photography 6 04-01-2005 05:26 PM
Sigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLRSigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLR sigmaphotojapan@yahoo.com Digital Photography 5 04-01-2005 02:08 PM
5 Megapixel VS. 4 Megapixel camera Mark Digital Photography 13 03-09-2005 04:06 PM
Is technology making mankind a threatened species? Thoughts on technology, the future, and somwhere, ethics. Waylon Kenning NZ Computing 31 10-17-2004 09:44 AM
The Human Eye: 120 Megapixel Monochrome, 6 Megapixel Color Brian C. Baird Digital Photography 44 06-17-2004 06:12 PM



Advertisments