Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > the canon question; your opinions please.

the canon question; your opinions please.

Mydnight

Ok, I'm going to get myself another digital camera...my last one was
stolen in china. I had a Canon Powershot a70 that I thought was
pretty decent for a on-the-go-point-and-click sorta cam that I
actually got some postcardesque looking shots out of.

Now that I got the accidental option to upgrade, I think I'm going to
stick with the canon powershot...but which number?

I hear that the a80 is better than the a85, but maybe not as good as
the a95 but defininately better than the a70 and a75.....is this
right?

I'm looking to spend like 250-300, and nearly all of these are within
that range these days.

So what do ya'll think? Please give me your opinions on all of this.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Gary

In June I got the Pro 1, pricier but I love the zoom and do not regret the
purchase.

"Mydnight" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, I'm going to get myself another digital camera...my last one was
> stolen in china. I had a Canon Powershot a70 that I thought was
> pretty decent for a on-the-go-point-and-click sorta cam that I
> actually got some postcardesque looking shots out of.
>
> Now that I got the accidental option to upgrade, I think I'm going to
> stick with the canon powershot...but which number?
>
> I hear that the a80 is better than the a85, but maybe not as good as
> the a95 but defininately better than the a70 and a75.....is this
> right?
>
> I'm looking to spend like 250-300, and nearly all of these are within
> that range these days.
>
> So what do ya'll think? Please give me your opinions on all of this.
>

> Mydnight
>
> --------------------
> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades

of an endless night.

News

I got a PowerShot S1 IS in June, when my T70 died whilst on holiday. Still
experimenting (grand children reckon recording Happy Birthday, as a memo, on
blow-out-the-candles pics is "SOO COOL") - using a flourescent light-balance
in woodland gets rid of the green cast. Also, 'though I've a range of
lenses for the T70, including a 28-300m,. none were usable on an up-market
Canon DSLR. So I went for the zoom range of the S1 IS (pity it is from 38mm
equivalent, would have preferred 2.
Keith
"Mydnight" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, I'm going to get myself another digital camera...my last one was
> stolen in china. I had a Canon Powershot a70 that I thought was
> pretty decent for a on-the-go-point-and-click sorta cam that I
> actually got some postcardesque looking shots out of.
>
> Now that I got the accidental option to upgrade, I think I'm going to
> stick with the canon powershot...but which number?
>
> I hear that the a80 is better than the a85, but maybe not as good as
> the a95 but defininately better than the a70 and a75.....is this
> right?
>
> I'm looking to spend like 250-300, and nearly all of these are within
> that range these days.
>
> So what do ya'll think? Please give me your opinions on all of this.
>

> Mydnight

Chris Berry

I waited for the a95 and must say that it has some features that are really
appealing.
The large display for one and fucussing modes and aids that really do help.
cb

--
=================================
Some people have something to say... others have to say something!

Dave Cohen

Chris Berry wrote:

> I waited for the a95 and must say that it has some features that are really
> appealing.
> The large display for one and fucussing modes and aids that really do help.
> cb

I have the A40, which is very good. If I had to replace it, would
probably settle for the A95. Bigger sensor and resolution for very
little more. The swivel lcd is a plus.
Dave Cohen

Mydnight

Did my message look like spam or something? heh. Ya'll give a little
help here, please!

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 03:37:18 GMT, Mydnight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ok, I'm going to get myself another digital camera...my last one was
>stolen in china. I had a Canon Powershot a70 that I thought was
>pretty decent for a on-the-go-point-and-click sorta cam that I
>actually got some postcardesque looking shots out of.
>
>Now that I got the accidental option to upgrade, I think I'm going to
>stick with the canon powershot...but which number?
>
>I hear that the a80 is better than the a85, but maybe not as good as
>the a95 but defininately better than the a70 and a75.....is this
>right?
>
>I'm looking to spend like 250-300, and nearly all of these are within
>that range these days.
>
>So what do ya'll think? Please give me your opinions on all of this.
>

>Mydnight
>
>--------------------
>thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Dave Martindale

Mydnight <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>I hear that the a80 is better than the a85, but maybe not as good as
>>the a95 but defininately better than the a70 and a75.....is this
>>right?

>>So what do ya'll think? Please give me your opinions on all of this.

You might start by using Google to search for postings in this newsgroup
about those cameras. There have been many in the last few months alone.

Basically, the A80 and A95 are in a class above the A70/A75/A85. The
former use 1/1.8" CCDs which are larger and less noisy than the 1/2.7"
CCDs used in the others. The A80/95 also have a flip-out LCD that is
very useful in some picture taking circumstances; the others lack it.

Dave

Warren

I've taken pictures with both an A95 and an A60 and I don't see much
difference between them. I certainly like the extra megapixels of the A95
for performing serious cropping without fear of losing detail ( and Canon
seems to have squeezed these pixels in without detrimental effect). I think
it really comes down to the very versatile LCD on the A95 (or A80 if you
want to save some money on last years model) and I have found I can't live
without it, even though I've never used a digital camera before.