Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > VOTING CLOSED for R.P.D. reorganization

VOTING CLOSED for R.P.D. reorganization

usenet@imagenoir.com

Kibo informs me that "Arthur L. Rubin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
stated that:

>Lionel wrote:
>> Yes, that's my understanding as well, & it seems to me to be a method
>> that is both obvious & well-tested (Majordomo, uk.net.news, etc).

>Sorry, but no. Majordomo's "token" is not random, nor does it
>require information known only to majordomo or the hosting
>administrator. I can (and have) been forge-subscribed to
>a majordomo list.

Well, I didn't know that. Thanks for the information.

>I'll take your word (for the moment) that uk.net.news's token
>is random or a hash of the E-mail address and a non-public
>token.

No, I don't know that, I'm just assuming (given the number of
highly-motivated UK net.kooks), that it would be the case.

Wayne Brown

In news.groups Lionel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yes, that's my understanding as well, & it seems to me to be a method
> that is both obvious & well-tested (Majordomo, uk.net.news, etc). ******
> if I know why, but several of the news.groupies have expressed a strong
> distaste for adopting the UK system.

If I'm one of those whom you had in mind, then I want to say that I'm
not automatically against "adopting the UK system." What annoyed me was
one particular comment of Joe's about how all of us have been envying
the UK system for years, combined with some comments from others about
how backward the Big 8 is compared to other systems. Some people seem
to have the impression that the Big 8 is full of hillbillies sittin'
'round wishin' we had us one-a them new-fangled votin' systems like
the city slickers got. If we need to revisit our way of running votes,
and if the UK folks have something we can use, and if they're willing to
share it with us, then that's fine and a big "Thanks!" for their help.
The Big 8 works well enough most of the time, but if it needs a few
tweaks now and then, so be it. I just don't care for the "ooh, we gotta
be like the Cool Kids and do things THEIR way!" idea.

--
Wayne Brown (HPCC #1104) | "When your tail's in a crack, you improvise
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | if you're good enough. Otherwise you give
| your pelt to the trapper."
"e^(i*pi) = -1" -- Euler | -- John Myers Myers, "Silverlock"

Matt

On 22 Oct 2004 20:03:06 GMT, Roland Karlsson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Woodchuck Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Xns9588EC96A8DF7bswr607h4
>@130.133.1.4:
>
>> rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
>> rec.photo.digital.rangefinder
>> rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
>> rec.photo.digital.zlr

>I missed that any voting was going on. Maybe the r.p.d needs some
>kind of split, maybe not. This proposed split is not to my liking
>though. It is rather artificial.
>
>It is not obvious to divide the group according to camera type at all.

Well, maybe by Megapixel or price, or basic, enthusiast, prosumer.
I would gravitate to the basic/enthusiast level, since I'm not up for
spending more than the price of a mid-range grapphics card on any
single item of hardware or software.

Of the groups mentioned, I guess I add point+shoot if my ISP actually
bothers to carry it.

>There are lots of cameras that are neither of the types.
>There are no (0) rangefinder cameras today.
>The term point+shoot is totally misused. No one knows what it is.
>The term zlr? Hmmmm ... ask and see how many knows what it mean.
>Are evf zlr? Are evf with exchangable lenses slr-systems?
>Are rather advanced cameras point+shoot? Are all cameras that can be
>used in a point+shoot mode point+shoot?
>
>This division sounds more reasonable:
>
>rec.photo.digital.camera
>rec.photo.digital.printing
>rec.photo.digital.editing

I may have seen the vote mentioned, but like many, probably dismissed
it as noise and trolling.

--
I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!

John Stanley

In article <p_bfd.106636$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Wayne Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In news.groups Lionel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, that's my understanding as well, & it seems to me to be a method
>> that is both obvious & well-tested (Majordomo, uk.net.news, etc). ******
>> if I know why, but several of the news.groupies have expressed a strong
>> distaste for adopting the UK system.

>If I'm one of those whom you had in mind,

And if I'm one, then you ought to read what I've already said about why
I have a distaste for it. Then you'll know.

Lionel

Kibo informs me that (E-Mail Removed) (John Stanley) stated
that:

>In article <p_bfd.106636$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Wayne Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>In news.groups Lionel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, that's my understanding as well, & it seems to me to be a method
>>> that is both obvious & well-tested (Majordomo, uk.net.news, etc). ******
>>> if I know why, but several of the news.groupies have expressed a strong
>>> distaste for adopting the UK system.

>>If I'm one of those whom you had in mind,

>And if I'm one, then you ought to read what I've already said about why
>I have a distaste for it. Then you'll know.

Perhaps I've missed some of your posts on the topic, but TTBOMK, your
major objection is that you have some bee in your bonnet about the
voting system relying on SMTP.

Lionel

Kibo informs me that Wayne Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> stated that:

>In news.groups Lionel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, that's my understanding as well, & it seems to me to be a method
>> that is both obvious & well-tested (Majordomo, uk.net.news, etc). ******
>> if I know why, but several of the news.groupies have expressed a strong
>> distaste for adopting the UK system.

>If I'm one of those whom you had in mind, then I want to say that I'm
>not automatically against "adopting the UK system."

It wasn't you I was thinking of in particular, but I'll take this
opportunity to comment anyway.

> What annoyed me was
>one particular comment of Joe's about how all of us have been envying
>the UK system for years, combined with some comments from others about
>how backward the Big 8 is compared to other systems. Some people seem
>to have the impression that the Big 8 is full of hillbillies sittin'
>'round wishin' we had us one-a them new-fangled votin' systems like
>the city slickers got.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it looked more to me like a case of
NIH syndrome.

> If we need to revisit our way of running votes,
>and if the UK folks have something we can use, and if they're willing to
>share it with us, then that's fine and a big "Thanks!" for their help.
>The Big 8 works well enough most of the time, but if it needs a few
>tweaks now and then, so be it. I just don't care for the "ooh, we gotta
>be like the Cool Kids and do things THEIR way!" idea.

Yes, I can see how that would be annoying.

Graham Drabble

On 25 Oct 2004 "Arthur L. Rubin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'll take your word (for the moment) that uk.net.news's token
> is random or a hash of the E-mail address and a non-public
> token.

The VTs did describe it once. I think it was an MD5 hash of e-mail,
voteID + time which was then stroed in a database. Google will probably
tell you more.

--
Graham Drabble
Want help with an RFD?