Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Shopping for a digicam

Shopping for a digicam

Satoshi

Hi,
I was trying to buy a new KM Dimage X50 using a search engine.
At "shopcartusa.com", its price ranges from $279 to $318.
When I visited "shopper-search.cnet.com", its price ranges from $316 to
$431.
What I see is that I can buy the same camera as little as for $279 and as
high as for $431.
RitzCamera, TigerDirect, and Dell sell for $399.

I am wondering if I pay $279 for the camera its quality would be the same
those from RitzCamera, TigerDirect and Dell. Please advise me. Satoshi

Jim Townsend

Satoshi wrote:

> Hi,
> I was trying to buy a new KM Dimage X50 using a search engine.
> At "shopcartusa.com", its price ranges from $279 to $318.
> When I visited "shopper-search.cnet.com", its price ranges from $316 to
> $431.
> What I see is that I can buy the same camera as little as for $279 and as
> high as for $431.
> RitzCamera, TigerDirect, and Dell sell for $399.
>
> I am wondering if I pay $279 for the camera its quality would be the same
> those from RitzCamera, TigerDirect and Dell. Please advise me. Satoshi

You probably won't get the lowball price.. A lot of dealers are simply out
to fleece you. They run on a thin line that separates what is legal and what
is not.

The hustlers that sell the camera for $279, will insist you purchase accessories
like memory cards and lens cleaning kits at horribly inflated prices. Then they'll
stick you with an overpriced extra warranty and inflated insurance and shipping.
By the time you've paid for all the extras, you'll find you've paid way more
than you originally thought you would.

If you decline the outrageously priced accessories and warranties, the dealers
often discover that they are "out of stock" on the item you want and you'll have
to call back in six weeks.

When buying online, it's always wise to check:

http://www.resellerratings.com/

Type the company name in the box at the top right and do a search. Most places
are decent businesses, but you'll see some outfits are just scum.

Satoshi

Thanks Jim. It makes sense.
I am now learning a new way of internet shopping. Satoshi

"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Satoshi wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I was trying to buy a new KM Dimage X50 using a search engine.
>> At "shopcartusa.com", its price ranges from $279 to $318.
>> When I visited "shopper-search.cnet.com", its price ranges from $316 to
>> $431.
>> What I see is that I can buy the same camera as little as for $279 and as
>> high as for $431.
>> RitzCamera, TigerDirect, and Dell sell for $399.
>>
>> I am wondering if I pay $279 for the camera its quality would be the same
>> those from RitzCamera, TigerDirect and Dell. Please advise me.
>> Satoshi

> You probably won't get the lowball price.. A lot of dealers are simply out
> to fleece you. They run on a thin line that separates what is legal and
> what
> is not.
>
> The hustlers that sell the camera for $279, will insist you purchase
> accessories
> like memory cards and lens cleaning kits at horribly inflated prices.
> Then they'll
> stick you with an overpriced extra warranty and inflated insurance and
> shipping.
> By the time you've paid for all the extras, you'll find you've paid way
> more
> than you originally thought you would.
>
> If you decline the outrageously priced accessories and warranties, the
> dealers
> often discover that they are "out of stock" on the item you want and
> you'll have
> to call back in six weeks.
>
> When buying online, it's always wise to check:
>
> http://www.resellerratings.com/
>
> Type the company name in the box at the top right and do a search. Most
> places
> are decent businesses, but you'll see some outfits are just scum.

Brian

>You probably won't get the lowball price.. A lot of dealers are simply out
>to fleece you. They run on a thin line that separates what is legal and what
>is not.
>
>The hustlers that sell the camera for $279, will insist you purchase accessories
>like memory cards and lens cleaning kits at horribly inflated prices. Then they'll
>stick you with an overpriced extra warranty and inflated insurance and shipping.
>By the time you've paid for all the extras, you'll find you've paid way more
>than you originally thought you would.
>
>If you decline the outrageously priced accessories and warranties, the dealers
>often discover that they are "out of stock" on the item you want and you'll have
>to call back in six weeks.
>
>When buying online, it's always wise to check:
>
>http://www.resellerratings.com/
>
>Type the company name in the box at the top right and do a search. Most places
>are decent businesses, but you'll see some outfits are just scum.

Yep... this is what happens when retailers are more concerned about
what is "legal vs. illegal" rather than what is right or wrong.

Alan Meyer

"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Satoshi wrote:
> > I am wondering if I pay $279 for the camera its quality would be the same
> > those from RitzCamera, TigerDirect and Dell. Please advise me. Satoshi

> When buying online, it's always wise to check:
>
> http://www.resellerratings.com/

Excellent advice.

Another problem with some of the extreme low price companies is
that they won't honor their warranties. If you get the camera and it
works okay, you're safe. But if there is a problem with it you may not
be able to either get it repaired, exchange it, or get your money back.

Follow Jim's advice.

Alan