Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > iView MediaPro (was:RAW conversion/viewing software question)

iView MediaPro (was:RAW conversion/viewing software question)

Mark Roberts

Thanks to "Jaxak" for recommending iView MediaPro software. Looks like
everything I wanted and more.

One question: All the batch conversions I've done from RAW to TIFF have
come out at 640 x 480 no matter how I have the conversion settings
configured. I'm assuming this is a deliberate limitation of the trial
version of the software - but some confirmation of this (or an
explanation of what I'm doing wrong) would be most welcome before I put
down my money for the full version.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing

Jeremy Nixon

Mark Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> One question: All the batch conversions I've done from RAW to TIFF have
> come out at 640 x 480 no matter how I have the conversion settings
> configured. I'm assuming this is a deliberate limitation of the trial
> version of the software - but some confirmation of this (or an
> explanation of what I'm doing wrong) would be most welcome before I put
> down my money for the full version.

iView doesn't do RAW conversion; for that you'll need Photoshop CS,
Capture One, or whatever crappy thing your camera's manufacturer provides.
iView can *view* the RAW files, but converting them is an entirely
different thing -- it's not just another image format.

--
Jeremy | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Mark Roberts

Jeremy Nixon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mark Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> One question: All the batch conversions I've done from RAW to TIFF have
>> come out at 640 x 480 no matter how I have the conversion settings
>> configured. I'm assuming this is a deliberate limitation of the trial
>> version of the software - but some confirmation of this (or an
>> explanation of what I'm doing wrong) would be most welcome before I put
>> down my money for the full version.

>iView doesn't do RAW conversion

Actually, MediaPro 2.0 does... for Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Kodak and
Fuji. No joy for Pentax, though so it looks like I'll be going with
ThumbsPlus.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing
www.robertstech.com

Jeremy Nixon

Mark Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> iView doesn't do RAW conversion

> Actually, MediaPro 2.0 does... for Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Kodak and
> Fuji. No joy for Pentax, though so it looks like I'll be going with
> ThumbsPlus.

But no, it doesn't. Are you talking about just viewing the RAW files?
It'll do that. It'll try to "convert" them, too, if you tell it to,
but it's not doing anything resembling what "RAW conversion" is.
That's just not what the program is for. There aren't all that many
RAW conversion programs out there at all.

--
Jeremy | (E-Mail Removed)