Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Advice please: DSLR or DSLR-style?

Advice please: DSLR or DSLR-style?

JB

I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus C765-Z or
maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or similar. Are
there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to bargains
on either of these cameras?
Any advice or links much appreciated.
cheers,
JB

Siddhartha Jain

JB wrote:
> I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
> combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus

C765-Z or
> maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or

similar. Are
> there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to

bargains
> on either of these cameras?
> Any advice or links much appreciated.

I have an Olympus C-750. The 10x zoom is mostly useless without
stabilization or tripod. If your budget and inclinations permit it then
buy the Canon 300D or go for the Panasonic FZ-20 that has image
stabilization lenses.

If you are just looking for a good P&S and don't need the extra zoom
then look at Canon A80/A95. Very good value for money.
Cheers,

Siddhartha

dj_nme

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> JB wrote:
>
>>I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
>>combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus

> C765-Z or
>
>>maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or

> similar. Are
>
>>there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to

> bargains
>
>>on either of these cameras?
>>Any advice or links much appreciated.

> I have an Olympus C-750. The 10x zoom is mostly useless without
> stabilization or tripod. If your budget and inclinations permit it then
> buy the Canon 300D or go for the Panasonic FZ-20 that has image
> stabilization lenses.
>
> If you are just looking for a good P&S and don't need the extra zoom
> then look at Canon A80/A95. Very good value for money.
> Cheers,
>
> Siddhartha

I use a Minolta Dimage 7i and am quite satisfied with it.
The Dimage A1 (5mp) or A2 (8mp) would seem like an even better deal,
with a 7x zoom and image stabilization.
Neither are DSLRs, but have fairly good EVF and a 4x magnified mode for
manual focusing (if you want to).

JB

"dj_nme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41765866$0$23019$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> > JB wrote:
> >
> >>I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
> >>combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus

> > C765-Z or
> >
> >>maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or

> > similar. Are
> >
> >>there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to

> > bargains
> >
> >>on either of these cameras?
> >>Any advice or links much appreciated.

> > I have an Olympus C-750. The 10x zoom is mostly useless without
> > stabilization or tripod. If your budget and inclinations permit it then
> > buy the Canon 300D or go for the Panasonic FZ-20 that has image
> > stabilization lenses.
> >
> > If you are just looking for a good P&S and don't need the extra zoom
> > then look at Canon A80/A95. Very good value for money.
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Siddhartha
> >

> I use a Minolta Dimage 7i and am quite satisfied with it.
> The Dimage A1 (5mp) or A2 (8mp) would seem like an even better deal,
> with a 7x zoom and image stabilization.
> Neither are DSLRs, but have fairly good EVF and a 4x magnified mode for
> manual focusing (if you want to).

Many thanks for the advice

JB

cc0112453

You are looking at two completely different cameras. It would depend on how
much your wife is into photography. If she were planning on doing "serious"
photographic work and is going to be taking classes or already has
experience as a photographer then a more professional camera such as the
EOS300D might be appropriate. She may not need that much camera. Consider
also that it is a large piece of equipment and that if you aren't a
dedicated photographer, the size of it is going to get old real soon. If on
the other hand she just likes to take decent pictures, not sweat the details
so much and wants a decent zoom the Olympus 765-Z is a great choice. One
other thing to consider if a huge zoom isn't a factor is one of the smaller
cameras that are out there such as the Canon S70 (4x optical)or one of the
smaller Olympus models. If you aren't doing studio work (and even if you
are) they take excellent pictures. Nice thing about the smaller cameras is
that you actually remember to take them with you.
"JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
> combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus C765-Z or
> maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or similar.

Are
> there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to

bargains
> on either of these cameras?
> Any advice or links much appreciated.
> cheers,
> JB

GT40

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:01:38 +0100, "JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
>combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus C765-Z or
>maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or similar. Are
>there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to bargains
>on either of these cameras?

Nothing has been annouced on the low end of the Canon lineup, as they
are just about to release the 1DsMark2

Ron Recer

>From: "cc0112453" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 10/20/2004 9:01 AM Central Standard Time

I agree with Doug and in addition, keep in mind that the DSLRs require more
maintenance (sensor cleaning) and are heavier than point & shoot cameras.
Also, if you take advantage of the DSLRs features, such as RAW, it will take
more post processing than using jpeg.

Ron

>You are looking at two completely different cameras. It would depend on how
>much your wife is into photography. If she were planning on doing "serious"
>photographic work and is going to be taking classes or already has
>experience as a photographer then a more professional camera such as the
>EOS300D might be appropriate. She may not need that much camera. Consider
>also that it is a large piece of equipment and that if you aren't a
>dedicated photographer, the size of it is going to get old real soon. If on
>the other hand she just likes to take decent pictures, not sweat the details
>so much and wants a decent zoom the Olympus 765-Z is a great choice. One
>other thing to consider if a huge zoom isn't a factor is one of the smaller
>cameras that are out there such as the Canon S70 (4x optical)or one of the
>smaller Olympus models. If you aren't doing studio work (and even if you
>are) they take excellent pictures. Nice thing about the smaller cameras is
>that you actually remember to take them with you.
>"JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
>> combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus C765-Z or
>> maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or similar.

>Are
>> there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to

>bargains
>> on either of these cameras?
>> Any advice or links much appreciated.
>> cheers,
>> JB

Alex Butcher

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 04:52:46 -0700, Siddhartha Jain wrote:

> JB wrote:
>> I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
>> combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus

> C765-Z or
>> maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or

> similar. Are
>> there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to

> bargains
>> on either of these cameras?
>> Any advice or links much appreciated.

> I have an Olympus C-750. The 10x zoom is mostly useless without
> stabilization or tripod.

With practise, good lighting, and a bit of care, it's possible to use the
full zoom range. Things that help include setting a fast exposure, using
your surroundings - walls, trees and suchlike - for support, lowering
your centre of gravity by squatting, and paying attention to your
breathing.

That said, even a cheap, light tripod (e.g. 20 quid from Jessops) helps.

> Siddhartha

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK Need reliable and secure network systems?

Alan Browne

JB wrote:

> I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
> combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus C765-Z or
> maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or similar. Are
> there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to bargains
> on either of these cameras?
> Any advice or links much appreciated.

It really depends on your wife's interest and needs. If she is a happy
snapshooter, then something along the lines of a Canon SD300 might really be the
ticket.

This a gift to her ... not you!

Cheers,
Alan.

Alan Meyer

"cc0112453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> ...Nice thing about the smaller cameras is
> that you actually remember to take them with you. ...

Absolutely. Before digital, my film cameras included a
Mamiya 6x6 twin lens reflex, a Minolta 35mm with big 28-200
zoom, and a small, lightweight, Olympus point and shoot.

Guess which one I carried with me?

I wound up with many more photos taken by the Olympus
than by either of the other cameras.

Alan