Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Gimp for windows?

Gimp for windows?

Tripmonkey (UK)

Any one from the group use this software instead/aswell as photoshop?
Just curious as to how well it compares.
Had a quick go on it myself but as I've only just started to get into
editing photo's fully, I'm not really the best person to comment on it.
I build a lot of computers for people and they are always asking my
opinion on what software to use. I try and steer them away from pirate
progs and to the freeware ones as much as possible but it's not that
easy with programs like photoshop as not many freeware progs can compete
with it's features.
For basic editing I get them to use photofilter but they normally
complain that they want the best (even though they will never use it).
I really want to get them something that uses layers if possible as this
is one of the only advanced options that I can see them using.

Cheers in advance..
Trip

chidalgo

Tripmonkey (UK) escribio:

> Any one from the group use this software instead/aswell as photoshop?
> Just curious as to how well it compares.
> Had a quick go on it myself but as I've only just started to get into
> editing photo's fully, I'm not really the best person to comment on it.
> I build a lot of computers for people and they are always asking my
> opinion on what software to use. I try and steer them away from pirate
> progs and to the freeware ones as much as possible but it's not that
> easy with programs like photoshop as not many freeware progs can compete
> with it's features.
> For basic editing I get them to use photofilter but they normally
> complain that they want the best (even though they will never use it).
> I really want to get them something that uses layers if possible as this
> is one of the only advanced options that I can see them using.
>
> Cheers in advance..
> Trip

I love open source, and like GIMP, but it can't be compared to Photoshop.

For basic editing plus something else, it's good. But Photoshop is by
far the best.

Of course, in Photoshop you need to pay (a lot!) for its perfection

GIMP is good, but maybe is not good enough. If money is an issue, go
with GIMP.

--
chidalgo

GT40

The GIMP is the best for the price!! Can do most basic PS functions

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:43:46 GMT, "Tripmonkey (UK)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Any one from the group use this software instead/aswell as photoshop?
>Just curious as to how well it compares.
>Had a quick go on it myself but as I've only just started to get into
>editing photo's fully, I'm not really the best person to comment on it.
>I build a lot of computers for people and they are always asking my
>opinion on what software to use. I try and steer them away from pirate
>progs and to the freeware ones as much as possible but it's not that
>easy with programs like photoshop as not many freeware progs can compete
>with it's features.
>For basic editing I get them to use photofilter but they normally
>complain that they want the best (even though they will never use it).
>I really want to get them something that uses layers if possible as this
>is one of the only advanced options that I can see them using.
>
>Cheers in advance..
>Trip

Tripmonkey (UK)

Do the layers handle the same way in Gimp as they do in Photoshop?

Trip

GT40 wrote:

> The GIMP is the best for the price!! Can do most basic PS functions
>
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:43:46 GMT, "Tripmonkey (UK)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Any one from the group use this software instead/aswell as photoshop?
>>Just curious as to how well it compares.
>>Had a quick go on it myself but as I've only just started to get into
>>editing photo's fully, I'm not really the best person to comment on it.
>>I build a lot of computers for people and they are always asking my
>>opinion on what software to use. I try and steer them away from pirate
>>progs and to the freeware ones as much as possible but it's not that
>>easy with programs like photoshop as not many freeware progs can compete
>>with it's features.
>>For basic editing I get them to use photofilter but they normally
>>complain that they want the best (even though they will never use it).
>>I really want to get them something that uses layers if possible as this
>>is one of the only advanced options that I can see them using.
>>
>>Cheers in advance..
>>Trip

Alan Meyer

"Tripmonkey (UK)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CMgdd.85888$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Any one from the group use this software instead/aswell as photoshop?
> Just curious as to how well it compares.
> Had a quick go on it myself but as I've only just started to get into
> editing photo's fully, I'm not really the best person to comment on it.
> I build a lot of computers for people and they are always asking my
> opinion on what software to use. I try and steer them away from pirate
> progs and to the freeware ones as much as possible but it's not that
> easy with programs like photoshop as not many freeware progs can compete
> with it's features.
> For basic editing I get them to use photofilter but they normally
> complain that they want the best (even though they will never use it).
> I really want to get them something that uses layers if possible as this
> is one of the only advanced options that I can see them using.
>
> Cheers in advance..
> Trip

I never used Photoshop. Couldn't justify the cost. But I have
used the Gimp on Windows. It works well.

I've also consumer oriented photo editors - Photosuite,
Picture It, and the precursor to Photoshop Elements.

My impression is that the Gimp is much better than the consumer
oriented photo editors, but is much harder to use. Photoshop
may also be harder to use. For casual users who want to
crop a photo, sharpen it, and maybe brighten the color, the
Gimp will be very intimidating. However if they really want
to put some learning time in and want to get excellent results,
the Gimp will do really well.

Alan

Derek Fountain

Tripmonkey (UK) wrote:

> Do the layers handle the same way in Gimp as they do in Photoshop?

Yes, but only in so far as they go. GIMP doesn't have adjustment layers, or
layer clipping, or layer sets, etc. It has the basics of Photoshop and no
more. Blend modes work in the same way and have the same names for the most
part, so at least that should be familiar.

Chris D

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:43:46 GMT
"Tripmonkey (UK)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I build a lot of computers for people and
> they are always asking my opinion on what software to use. I
> try and steer them away from pirate progs and to the freeware
> ones as much as possible but it's not that easy with programs
> like photoshop as not many freeware progs can compete with
> it's features.

Being in a similar position to you (Not so much with
Photoediting, but mainly office stuff) - My advice to people is
to Go with the freeware program, try it for a week or two. If
you don't like it, or it doesn't have all the features you need,
well then you think about shelling out the cash for something
"better", for want of a better word. If you fork out (x)
dollars, then realise that you could have used freeware, you've
lost (x) dollars, which is normally a pretty big number. If you
use freeware, realise it's not enough, then buy something,
you've lost nothing but the time you spent trying the freeware.

-Chris D

Eric Gill

"Tripmonkey (UK)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:CMgdd.85888
$(E-Mail Removed):

> Any one from the group use this software instead/aswell as photoshop?
> Just curious as to how well it compares.

Not very. Pretty spiffy for web graphics, not so hot for color correction
and getting good hardcopy. And the Windows version usually is a low
priority for updates.

JASC's Paint Shop Pro is a great low-cost alternative. The price obviously
isn't as good as GIMP, but it's worlds better than Photoshop in that
regard. Less geek oriented and has a strong user support base, too.

<snip>

Ed

I was just trying it out today and one thing I noticed is the slowness of
it. As you move an adjustment slider, you don't see the change until you
let go of it and then you have to wait several seconds to see the change in
your picture. They don't have a preview button that you can check and
uncheck to see the before and after. There also is an inconsistency in how
different functions work. Some preview the change, some don't.

In the end, I uninstalled the whole package. I'll stick with Photoshop and
Picture Window.

Ed

"Tripmonkey (UK)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CMgdd.85888$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Any one from the group use this software instead/aswell as photoshop?
> Just curious as to how well it compares.
> Had a quick go on it myself but as I've only just started to get into
> editing photo's fully, I'm not really the best person to comment on it.
> I build a lot of computers for people and they are always asking my
> opinion on what software to use. I try and steer them away from pirate
> progs and to the freeware ones as much as possible but it's not that
> easy with programs like photoshop as not many freeware progs can compete
> with it's features.
> For basic editing I get them to use photofilter but they normally
> complain that they want the best (even though they will never use it).
> I really want to get them something that uses layers if possible as this
> is one of the only advanced options that I can see them using.
>
> Cheers in advance..
> Trip

Tripmonkey (UK)

I agree with u completely Chris.

The trouble is that most of the people who buy computers from me are
lazy newbies that don't want to spend the time trying out different
software. All they really want is the work done with the smallest amount
of effort. I had someone ask me to get a copy of MSoffice for them the
other week, I told them that OpenOffice that I had installed could save
the files in the same format and do exactly what they wanted it to do
but they still wanted me to waste my time getting it?
They have a tendency to believe hyped up programs and they expect me to
provide them, at no extra cost of course (legal or not).
If they hear that Photoshop is the best photo editing software then they
want it. It doesn't matter that they will never use it for anything more
basic than rotating a photo.

From what I've seen of the Gimp so far, it will be a perfect
replacement for it. I only had a quick 30mins go after installation but
once I got my head around the separate tool bars and such, I found it
much easier to do most of the things that I did with Photoshop, and it
seems to me to be just as powerful.

One thing that I would miss in Photoshop though would be the shadowlab
that comes with the eyecandy plugin. I tend to use it quite a bit. If
any one's got an idea how I can do that stuff with Gimp will u plz let
me know.
Got to be said though, so far I'm converted.

Trip