Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Date on Image - Canon IXUS 500

Date on Image - Canon IXUS 500

Dion Liddell

Hi,

Can someone please tell me if there is a way to stamp the date/time on
an image taken with a Canon IXUS 500? I know that the info is stored
in the exif information and can be printed when using a pictbridge
compatible printer.. but I need to be able to have the date displayed
on the image when viewed on screen. Can this be done using the camera
menu options or is there a way to use the software provided by canon
to do this? If not, is there any other software out there that can do
this?

Regards,
Dion.

Jer

Dion Liddell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can someone please tell me if there is a way to stamp the date/time on
> an image taken with a Canon IXUS 500? I know that the info is stored
> in the exif information and can be printed when using a pictbridge
> compatible printer.. but I need to be able to have the date displayed
> on the image when viewed on screen. Can this be done using the camera
> menu options or is there a way to use the software provided by canon
> to do this? If not, is there any other software out there that can do
> this?
>
> Regards,
> Dion.

I'm so new at this digital business, I wouldn't know what cameras would
do this. I suppose one could always hack it in with an image editor,
and it would be one's choice where in the image it would be, along with
colour, font, size, etc.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=

Jer wrote:

> Dion Liddell wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can someone please tell me if there is a way to stamp the date/time on
>> an image taken with a Canon IXUS 500? I know that the info is stored
>> in the exif information and can be printed when using a pictbridge
>> compatible printer.. but I need to be able to have the date displayed
>> on the image when viewed on screen. Can this be done using the camera
>> menu options or is there a way to use the software provided by canon
>> to do this? If not, is there any other software out there that can do
>> this?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dion.

> I'm so new at this digital business, I wouldn't know what cameras would
> do this. I suppose one could always hack it in with an image editor,
> and it would be one's choice where in the image it would be, along with
> colour, font, size, etc.

To the original poster, it should be possible. Just go through all the menu
options and look for something like "date stamp".

I date stamped my photos to begin with, then tried sharpening them on the PC and
the date stamp ends up looking horrible. So now I don't use the date stamp function.

--
Ben Thomas
given nor endorsed by it.

birch999@hotmail.com

>Can someone please tell me if there is a way to stamp the date/time on
>an image taken with a Canon IXUS 500?

It can be selected via menu options in Easy Photo Print or Layout Print.

Dave Martindale

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dion Liddell) writes:

>Can someone please tell me if there is a way to stamp the date/time on
>an image taken with a Canon IXUS 500? I know that the info is stored
>in the exif information and can be printed when using a pictbridge
>compatible printer.. but I need to be able to have the date displayed
>on the image when viewed on screen. Can this be done using the camera
>menu options or is there a way to use the software provided by canon
>to do this? If not, is there any other software out there that can do
>this?

What does "on screen" mean? If you're reviewing the images in camera,
you can get all kinds of data overlaid on the image by pressing the DISP
button.

If you want the date embedded in the image when it's viewed on a
computer, you'll need to use other software to do that. The camera will
not embed dates into the image data itself. But are you sure you want
this? Generally, it's better to display the date under or over the
image on the same page, rather than damaging the image with an embedded
date. If you're placing the images on web pages, adding a bit of text
near the image should be pretty straightforward.

I can't think of any situation where I'd want to embed the date into a
digital image, unless I was trying to simulate a film camera with a date
imprinting mode. 35 mm film cameras have no other way to include the
date than putting it into the image, but digital cameras don't have to,
and generally don't do this.

Dave