Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help deciding on a Digital Cam?

Help deciding on a Digital Cam?

Jamie

Hi There

Ive asked allot of questions on this forum and ive learnt allot.
Thanks to everyone who has answered me questions and imparted great
knowledge.

So after getting all the info I needed im deciding on getting me a digicam.

I was thinking of the Olympus c-8080 8mp (28-140mm) (35mm equivalent) with a
teleconverter
or the Minolta Dimage A2 but ive read allot of reviews and its said that
this camera's images are very soft don't know if that is true.
and maybe Canon pro 1 but been hearing allot of bad things namely dust
getting into the lens.

But also since im probly only going to print maximum 8x10 wont 8mp be
unnecessary.
So should I be looking at ultra zoom digicams at 5mp.

Would go dslr but then id have to get two extra lens since id mostly need
(28-200mm) and a macro feature
at that does not come cheap.

a 28 or a 35 width lens will be sufficient.

So need help?

Thanks agian for all your comments.

Jamie.

Gary

I got the Pro1 and am very happy with it. It would be nice if it saved the
picture faster to go onto the next pick but I can live with is as I take all
my pics at the maximum resolution.

"Jamie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cl2rlt$10e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi There
>
> Ive asked allot of questions on this forum and ive learnt allot.
> Thanks to everyone who has answered me questions and imparted great
> knowledge.
>
> So after getting all the info I needed im deciding on getting me a

digicam.

> I was thinking of the Olympus c-8080 8mp (28-140mm) (35mm equivalent) with

> teleconverter
> or the Minolta Dimage A2 but ive read allot of reviews and its said that
> this camera's images are very soft don't know if that is true.
> and maybe Canon pro 1 but been hearing allot of bad things namely dust
> getting into the lens.
>
> But also since im probly only going to print maximum 8x10 wont 8mp be
> unnecessary.
> So should I be looking at ultra zoom digicams at 5mp.
>
> Would go dslr but then id have to get two extra lens since id mostly need
> (28-200mm) and a macro feature
> at that does not come cheap.
>
> a 28 or a 35 width lens will be sufficient.
>
> So need help?
>
> Thanks agian for all your comments.
>
> Jamie.

Chrlz

> I was thinking of the Olympus c-8080 8mp (28-140mm) (35mm equivalent) with a
> teleconverter
> or the Minolta Dimage A2 but ive read allot of reviews and its said that
> this camera's images are very soft don't know if that is true.
> and maybe Canon pro 1 but been hearing allot of bad things namely dust
> getting into the lens.

Visit www.dpreview.com, and there you will get a better idea of what
'soft' means, and you could check the forums for other opinions.. The
Oly lens is clearly better than the Minolta, but it doesn't have the
zoom range, and at 10x8, would you see it?? Debatable.

> But also since im probly only going to print maximum 8x10 wont 8mp be
> unnecessary.

'Headroom' is always nice, for cropping, and just a cleaner look
overall. But the jump from 5-8MP has been a big one for
manufacturers, and the chips are noisier, they are much more sensitive
to lens problems, eg the purple fringing problem and softness issues
with pretty well every 28-200 that has been stuck in front of an 8Mp
chip... That's why Oly went for the lesser lens range, methinks...

> So should I be looking at ultra zoom digicams at 5mp.

It's a line ball, IMO, if you are usually only going to 10x8. I like
the 8Mp cameras despite their problems, but that's mainly because I DO
like to print to 11x17 and even a little bigger occasionally, and the
5Mp just doesn't quite make it. I've compared results from the 8Mp
Sony 828, and the 5Mp 717 and the difference at 11x17 is very
noticable, as you would expect. The 8Mp 11x17's are quite stunning,
even on quite close inspection.

> Would go dslr but then id have to get two extra lens since id mostly need
> (28-200mm) and a macro feature
> at that does not come cheap.

Agreed.

FWIW, for my personal camera I've just ordered the Oly on the strength
of it's reviews, and having used many cameras at work - including the
Sony 828. My last personal camera was the Sony 717, and it will be
sorely missed!! The Oly had better be good!