Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > HARD DRIVES LOVE THE 20D !!!

HARD DRIVES LOVE THE 20D !!!

David J. Littleboy

"You know who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > "Annika1980" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > You'll need plenty of hard drive space when you start uploading all

> these
> > > glorious huge images like this one from your new 20D.
> > >
> > > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/35241384/original

> > http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/14770826/original
> >
> > My 12MP flower still eats your measly 8MP flower. Nyaa nyaa<g>.

> Yours does seem to have more detail. But maybe the 8MP just needs a little
> sharpening?

Or the film a bit less<g>?

At 4000 dpi, 645 (cropped to 1:1.414, 56x39mm) is 8800 x 6000 pixels (52MP).
Those pixels are a tad soft, but if you upsample a 16.7MP image to that size
(1.8x linearly), it gets a tad soft as well*. If you downsample a 52MP image
to 19MP or 13MP, you get images that are sharper per pixel. Either way, they
seem pretty close to me.

If you read Norman Koren, you'll see that he calls 35mm (Provia 100F, 4000
dpi) as being about 8MP. 645 is 2.5 times the are of 35mm. Big difference.

http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/MTF7.html

As I've said before, 13 to 19MP seems a good estimate for the dSLR
equivalent of 645. 8MP isn't even close.

*: The upsampled digital image is crudely sharpened, but here's roughly what
you'd see if you upsample 16.7 MP to 52MP.
http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/34473562/original
Here's a simulated 35mm film vs. 16.7MP comparison with less crude
sharpening. IMHO, Normal Koren called it right: 35mm film is nowhere near
16.7MP.
http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/34473670/original

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Crownfield

David J. Littleboy wrote:

> As I've said before, 13 to 19MP seems a good estimate for the dSLR
> equivalent of 645. 8MP isn't even close.

you must be wrong. The preddiot told us so.
the sigma sd10 is sharp and detailed as medium format film,
and blows up to 40 x 60 without effort.

> David J. Littleboy
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Tokyo, Japan

Annika1980

>From: Crownfield (E-Mail Removed)

>you must be wrong. The preddiot told us so.
>the sigma sd10 is sharp and detailed as medium format film,
>and blows up to 40 x 60 without effort.

Yeah, and that's meters!

Crownfield

Annika1980 wrote:

> >From: Crownfield (E-Mail Removed)

> >you must be wrong. The preddiot told us so.
> >the sigma sd10 is sharp and detailed as medium format film,
> >and blows up to 40 x 60 without effort.

> Yeah, and that's meters!

and thus you win "The Laugh of the Day Award"

DM

Crownfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> you must be wrong. The preddiot told us so.
> the sigma sd10 is sharp and detailed as medium format film,
> and blows up to 40 x 60 without effort.

That's 40 x 60 feet, fyi.

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Crownfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>you must be wrong. The preddiot told us so.
>the sigma sd10 is sharp and detailed as medium format film,
>and blows up to 40 x 60 without effort.

And you can play hop-scotch on the pixels!
--

John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>