Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 30 SECONDS WITH THE 20D !!!

30 SECONDS WITH THE 20D !!!

Annika1980

Phil Wheeler

Sure a lot of hot pixels

Annika1980 wrote:
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/35233613

Michael A. Covington

"Phil Wheeler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Kx%cd.17829$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sure a lot of hot pixels
>
> Annika1980 wrote:
>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/35233613

Those are of course stars, far more than could probably be seen with the
naked eye. The picture may have hit 8th magnitude. I would like to
identify the star field or have the same photographer take a picture, under
similar conditions, of a constellation I can identify, such as the Pleiades
star cluster rising in the east after the moon sets.

The long exposure causes the stars to lengthen slightly due to the earth's
rotation. That is very handy for distinguishing them from hot pixels.

Clear skies,

Michael A. Covington
www.covingtoninnovations.com/astromenu.html

Matt Ion

Annika1980 wrote:

> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/35233613

That is a really cool shot

Phil Wheeler

Michael A. Covington wrote:
> "Phil Wheeler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Kx%cd.17829$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Sure a lot of hot pixels
>>
>>Annika1980 wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/35233613

> Those are of course stars, far more than could probably be seen with the
> naked eye. The picture may have hit 8th magnitude. I would like to
> identify the star field or have the same photographer take a picture, under
> similar conditions, of a constellation I can identify, such as the Pleiades
> star cluster rising in the east after the moon sets.
>
> The long exposure causes the stars to lengthen slightly due to the earth's
> rotation. That is very handy for distinguishing them from hot pixels.

Only because it was not tracking Otherwise, I often wonder if one
could pick out a hot pixel from a star. BTW -- I have your excellent book.

I saw a great shot posted recently (where I wonder, now?) with ten
Messier objects identified in the FOV; taken with a 1Ds and a Canon 100
mm f/2.8 macro.

Phil

Hugh Jorgan

Your exclamation mark key seems to be stuck on repeat as well.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/35233613

Annika1980

>From: "Michael A. Covington" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ess

>http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/35233613
>
>Those are of course stars, far more than could probably be seen with the
>naked eye. The picture may have hit 8th magnitude.

Here is a better one of Cassiopeia, showing slight star blur due to the long
exposure. I think you'll recognize a few things in there.

I went up to Mt. Haleakala with a clear dark sky. It was amazing. It was like
driving right into the Big Dipper. I kept seeing this light atop the mountain,
but when I finally got out of my car at about 9000 feet I noticed it was Venus.

Btw, what is a good low-cost tracking device that I can use to track the stars
with my DSLR?

Phil Wheeler

Annika1980 wrote:

> Btw, what is a good low-cost tracking device that I can use to track the stars
> with my DSLR?

Barndoor tracker:

http://www.astronomyboy.com/barndoor/

Phil

Bart van der Wolf

"Phil Wheeler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RB9dd.18263$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Annika1980 wrote:
> >
> > Btw, what is a good low-cost tracking device that I can use to

track the stars
> > with my DSLR?
> >

> Barndoor tracker:
>
> http://www.astronomyboy.com/barndoor/

An even cheaper version: http://www.philharrington.net/scotch.htm

Bart

Michael A. Covington

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Here is a better one of Cassiopeia, showing slight star blur due to the
> long
> exposure. I think you'll recognize a few things in there.

Excellent -- I'll have a look and get back to you!

> I went up to Mt. Haleakala with a clear dark sky. It was amazing. It was
> like
> driving right into the Big Dipper. I kept seeing this light atop the
> mountain,
> but when I finally got out of my car at about 9000 feet I noticed it was
> Venus.
>
> Btw, what is a good low-cost tracking device that I can use to track the
> stars
> with my DSLR?

I suggest a barn-door tracker. Google for the term "barn-door tracker" or
see my book. But you should be able to find lots of instructions by
Googling.

In Hawaii you'll have to have an unobstructed north horizon in order to see
Polaris and line the tracker up.

By the way, I liked your picture of the green anole (American chameleon,
mistakenly called a gecko by many people on Maui; it's actually an iguanid,
imported recently from Florida or the Caribbean).

Keep up the good work!
Michael