Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Vivitar 730AF flash for Canon 300D

Reply
Thread Tools

Vivitar 730AF flash for Canon 300D

 
 
Siddhartha Jain
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2004
Hi,

I want to purcahse a relatively cheap flash for Canon 300D because I
don't use flash that often. So I look at Vivitar ($43) 728AF reviews
and people seem to be pretty satisfied with it for its price. I also
see 730AF ($64) at B&H and want to order that since it seems better
than 728AF. But I would like some feedback from people who've used it
on 300D because some posts at dpreview forum mentioned that using
728AF/730AF could burn the camera's flash circuits.
So anyone?

Thanks,

Siddhartha

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brad H.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2004
Why not just get the low end Canon 220EX flash specifically made for EOS and
Digital Rebel cameras? They sell used for around $75 and new for around
$120. One heck of a nice flash for the price and will work perfectly with
the 300D.

"Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I want to purcahse a relatively cheap flash for Canon 300D because I
> don't use flash that often.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Siddhartha Jain
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
Brad H. wrote:
> Why not just get the low end Canon 220EX flash specifically made for

EOS and
> Digital Rebel cameras? They sell used for around $75 and new for

around
> $120. One heck of a nice flash for the price and will work perfectly

with
> the 300D.


Yes, I looked at that but I don't want to buy used and $120 is too much
for a flash that I won't be using very often. I was initially looking
at spending $42 for the Vivitar 728AF but then saw the 730AF that
offers more for $20.

The Canon 220EX has no bounce or swivel, no zoom and a lesser guide
number than the 730AF. Instead of spending $110 on the Canon 220EX, I
might spend a little more and get the Sigma EF-500.
Thanks,

Siddhartha

 
Reply With Quote
 
R Barr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004

For what it's worth, I've had a 730AF for a couple of years that I used
with my film Rebel G, and I never had any complaints. As long as the
trigger voltage (?) is safe for the camera, you should be OK. The zoom
is manual, of course, but you can also bounce the flash laterally, not
just inline with the flash. (So you can bounce off the ceiling even
with the camera held vertically).

The indicator lights & calculator on the rear are utterly useless, but
with digital, who cares? You get immediate review anyway.

I was going to sell it when I bought a 380EX, but when I saw how low the
prices were, I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

> Yes, I looked at that but I don't want to buy used and $120 is too much
> for a flash that I won't be using very often. I was initially looking
> at spending $42 for the Vivitar 728AF but then saw the 730AF that
> offers more for $20.
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Barr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004


R Barr wrote:
>
> For what it's worth, I've had a 730AF for a couple of years that I used
> with my film Rebel G,


Oops -- that doesn't answer your question. This might:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Not sure how accurate this is. Comments?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Siddhartha Jain
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2004
Robert Barr wrote:
> R Barr wrote:
> >
> > For what it's worth, I've had a 730AF for a couple of years that I

used
> > with my film Rebel G,

>
> Oops -- that doesn't answer your question. This might:
>
> http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
>
> Not sure how accurate this is. Comments?


Thanks Robert. I've decided to use and see how the on-board flash fits
my needs. Else, I will buy a Sigma ST DG 500 later.

Still it might useful to get reviews from people who've used the
Vivitar 730AF on the Canon 300D.

Cheers,

Siddhartha

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunpak 383 or 5000 Vs Vivitar 285HV for EOS 300D Larry R Harrison Jr Digital Photography 4 07-26-2005 08:17 PM
Bounce flash Canon A85 - Vivitar 2800 question Alain Caillet Digital Photography 0 12-19-2004 08:18 PM
Vivitar flash on Canon D60 advid Digital Photography 3 08-01-2004 10:14 AM
Hong Kong prices on 300D, Canon S40+S45 + equipment for the 300D Hans Joergensen Digital Photography 3 01-26-2004 06:45 PM
VIVITAR 2800 FALSH AND CANON 300D AT Digital Photography 3 12-30-2003 05:49 AM



Advertisments