Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Have a new laptop, want to add it to my home network!?!?

Have a new laptop, want to add it to my home network!?!?

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=

Hi,

I have home network setup with two computers, connected to a SMC router which is connected to the internet through my DSL connection. This is working wonderfully.

I am running Windows XP, and just recieved a new modem, also running Windows XP. I am trying to get the laptop to be in the same network with my other two computers, and can not seem to do it. What should I do?

Thanks,
Stuart

Jack

Hi.
What New Modem means?
What method you are using to connect the Laptop to the Network.
To be on the same network the Laptop needs to be connected to the Network.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Stu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have home network setup with two computers, connected to a SMC router

which is connected to the internet through my DSL connection. This is
working wonderfully.

> I am running Windows XP, and just recieved a new modem, also running

Windows XP. I am trying to get the laptop to be in the same network with my
other two computers, and can not seem to do it. What should I do?

> Thanks,
> Stuart

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=

HI Jack,

Thank you for responding. Sorry, I have a new laptop, and am trying to connect it to my home network without success. I have not destroyed my existing network in the process, so I need to start from the beginning. Can you help and guide me to do that, create a network with two PCS, one laptop, all running XP, through a SMC router?

Thanks,
Stuart

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi.
> What New Modem means?
> What method you are using to connect the Laptop to the Network.
> To be on the same network the Laptop needs to be connected to the Network.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Stu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have home network setup with two computers, connected to a SMC router

> which is connected to the internet through my DSL connection. This is
> working wonderfully.
> >
> > I am running Windows XP, and just recieved a new modem, also running

> Windows XP. I am trying to get the laptop to be in the same network with my
> other two computers, and can not seem to do it. What should I do?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Stuart

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=

Sorry, and the laptop is connected wirelessly.

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi.
> What New Modem means?
> What method you are using to connect the Laptop to the Network.
> To be on the same network the Laptop needs to be connected to the Network.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Stu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have home network setup with two computers, connected to a SMC router

> which is connected to the internet through my DSL connection. This is
> working wonderfully.
> >
> > I am running Windows XP, and just recieved a new modem, also running

> Windows XP. I am trying to get the laptop to be in the same network with my
> other two computers, and can not seem to do it. What should I do?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Stuart

Jack

Hi.

Assuming that your Router is a Wireless Cable/DSL Router.

Try to follow the instructions in the following pages.

Connection Diagram: http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg

Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

Basic Wireless Security: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

File Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html