Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Select a 5 megapixel camera between 6 models ????

Select a 5 megapixel camera between 6 models ????

Mark Johnson

"Steven M. Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Chris D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 18 Oct 2004 18:26:26 -0700
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Steven Scharf) wrote:
>>
>> > You might also look at the Canon A95, but the AA batteries are
>> > a pain.

>> Are they? They do mean that if you forget to pack your spare
>> battery, you can pick up some AAs for a couple o bucks at
>> pretty much any store you walk into, to get you through whilst
>> the others charge.

>This argument has been posted ad-naueseum, but IMVAIO, it's a very weak
>argument, and the disadvantages of AA batteries far outweigh this minor
>advantage. If this is really a concern, you can buy a charger that charges
>Li-Ion batteries from a pack of AA cells.

I did have a case where it did matter. I thought I had a charge in the
AA batteries. It was a one shot deal, I was a guest. There was a store
just up the way. I ran up, got some alkaline batteries which is all
they had. And while hot, they lasted for a sufficient number of shots.
Still, you might, it's just as easy to have a second power cell ready
to go. And the rechargable AA don't necessarily hold a charge very
long, if you have the LCD on all the time (as I tend to).

With backup it might not be such as issue. But that was back then,
when digital was pretty new, and it didn't occur to me to have backups
pre-charged.

Steven M. Scharf

"Mark Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) rdnews.com...
> "Steven M. Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Chris D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>news:(E-Mail Removed)..

..

> >> Are they? They do mean that if you forget to pack your spare
> >> battery, you can pick up some AAs for a couple o bucks at
> >> pretty much any store you walk into, to get you through whilst
> >> the others charge.

> >This argument has been posted ad-naueseum, but IMVAIO, it's a very weak
> >argument, and the disadvantages of AA batteries far outweigh this minor
> >advantage. If this is really a concern, you can buy a charger that

charges
> >Li-Ion batteries from a pack of AA cells.

> I did have a case where it did matter. I thought I had a charge in the
> AA batteries. It was a one shot deal, I was a guest. There was a store
> just up the way. I ran up, got some alkaline batteries which is all
> they had. And while hot, they lasted for a sufficient number of shots.
> Still, you might, it's just as easy to have a second power cell ready
> to go..

No, I would say that with a Li-Ion battery you would be much less likely to
find yourself without a charge, because they last so much longer per charge.
On a vacation, you'd typically charge the battery every night. In the
boonies in a car, you'd have a way to charge the Li-Ion cell, in the boonies
with no stores or electricty, you'd want the Li-Ion batteries.

Carrying a spare Li-Ion pack for the S500 is much less hassle than carrying
another four AA cells and ensuring that they are charged. It's faster to
swap the battery, and much smaller. And the charger that comes with it is
very small as well.

> With backup it might not be such as issue. But that was back then,
> when digital was pretty new, and it didn't occur to me to have backups
> pre-charged.

Bob

"gavJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What about the Sony Cyber-Shot DSCP100????

I was wondering the same thing....

Good shooting,
Bob Scott

Frank ess

Bob wrote:
> "gavJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What about the Sony Cyber-Shot DSCP100????

> I was wondering the same thing....

I handled one of those in the store today. Very tempting. It better be
"jewel-like"; dollar per volume ratio is very high.

--
Frank ess

Mike Jacoubowsky

>> Are they? They do mean that if you forget to pack your spare
>> battery, you can pick up some AAs for a couple o bucks at
>> pretty much any store you walk into, to get you through whilst
>> the others charge.

> This argument has been posted ad-naueseum, but IMVAIO, it's a very weak
> argument, and the disadvantages of AA batteries far outweigh this minor
> advantage. If this is really a concern, you can buy a charger that charges
> Li-Ion batteries from a pack of AA cells.

If your camera will take CR-V3s (equivalent to two AA batteries), I've found
those just about everywhere. They came in handy for me more than once with
my Olympus D40. And even if it won't take the CR-V3s, you can now buy
non-rechargeable Li-Ions at many larger grocery & drug stores. I think
that's far more relevant than being able to toss in a couple of
8-shots-and-dead Alkalines (yet that's all anybody talks about).

Still, I wouldn't let the battery type be a deal-breaker, unless the camera
goes through them very quickly (in which case I'd choose a different
camera).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Black Shuck

On 20/10/2004 02:53 Frank ess got up from the bar and shouted..:
> Bob wrote:
>
>>"gavJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>What about the Sony Cyber-Shot DSCP100????

>>I was wondering the same thing....
>>

> I handled one of those in the store today. Very tempting. It better be
> "jewel-like"; dollar per volume ratio is very high.

I bought the P-120 (only a few more than P-100, comes with extra
battery and leather case, but basically the same camera).

It's a great camera. Highly recommended from me....

--
"This dog don't give a feck..."