Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Select a 5 megapixel camera between 6 models ????

Reply
Thread Tools

Select a 5 megapixel camera between 6 models ????

 
 
Chris D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
On 18 Oct 2004 18:26:26 -0700
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Steven Scharf) wrote:

> You might also look at the Canon A95, but the AA batteries are
> a pain.


Are they? They do mean that if you forget to pack your spare
battery, you can pick up some AAs for a couple o bucks at
pretty much any store you walk into, to get you through whilst
the others charge. I Picked the A95 because of the AAs, and
the fact that you can pick 'em up anywhere.

I've only just got an A95, but one thing I can tell you so far
is that it gives VERY little warning before going flat!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Pete
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:03:30 GMT, mcs wrote:

> try and find a fz20 .


I'll second that. I reviewed the earlier FZ10 in depth, and the FZ20 is
better in several respects. You can find details of both cameras at...

http://www.seanet.com/~pgm/panasonic/?s=ng

HTH

Pete
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jürgen Eidt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
"Steven Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Eliminate the Nikon Coolpix 5200 since it uses SD, not CF.


It can be a point to consider if you have CFs already.
I have both CF and SD in use and I don't see any disadvantages in using SD.
For these tiny cameras a small storage media is often the only solution.
Not sure if its really true (read this story some time ago), but in a design
meeting a Nikon architect throws the first built model into the aquarium and
asked the engineers to watch out for the bubbles. He commented: "There is
still some space left".


--
Regards
Jürgen

http://cpicture.de/en


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jason Peterson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
I'll third that, The fz20 has a great 12X Leica lens and image stabilization
which can get great shots at full zoom. The best part is that it has f2.8
brightness throughout the entire zoom range. For its price, I don't think
you can come close to these features anywhere near its price range.


Jason



"Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1fgh3vixsemzg$.o1m0dir0upsu$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:03:30 GMT, mcs wrote:
>
>> try and find a fz20 .

>
> I'll second that. I reviewed the earlier FZ10 in depth, and the FZ20 is
> better in several respects. You can find details of both cameras at...
>
> http://www.seanet.com/~pgm/panasonic/?s=ng
>
> HTH
>
> Pete



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
"Manolo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello I am looking forward to buying a Digital camera of about 5
>megapixeles,
>
>At the moment I have selected this machines.
>Could you give me some advice,
>
>Nikon CoolPix 5200
>Canon Ixus 500
>Konica-Minolita G500
>Olympus C50
>Olympus C60Z
>Pentax S51
>
>Thank you. Very much


I don't know if you'll still feel that way, 'Manolo'. But C5050, the
discontinued Oly. Usually, from what I've seen, the next step up from
this is dSLR.

The C5050 needs to be pampered. Drop it, and it could get a little
noisy, a little red, loose alignment. Treat it well, you get some very
nice photos, particularly for the money for a used and discontinued
camera. Comes with a nice waterproof shell, extra cost, so you can go
out in the rain, or to the horse show with all the dust flying. You
can go to the sprint races, with the clay flying everywhere.

Again, it's a great camera. If you do consider it, again, the first
accessory is an ebay 'tube', a lens tube on which you buy a ND or
clear filter and just leave the tube and glass protecting the zoom.
Or, keep it in a diving shell, which is made for the camera. Treat is
gently. Use RAW when you can for best results. Get a BIG CF card -
512-1Meg. You'll love it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Manolo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
Hello I am looking forward to buying a Digital camera of about 5
megapixeles,

At the moment I have selected this machines.
Could you give me some advice,

Nikon CoolPix 5200
Canon Ixus 500
Konica-Minolita G500
Olympus C50
Olympus C60Z
Pentax S51

Thank you. Very much



 
Reply With Quote
 
gavJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
What about the Sony Cyber-Shot DSCP100????

Gav

"Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4174356c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Manolo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ckvsj5$aq5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello I am looking forward to buying a Digital camera of about 5
>> megapixeles,
>>
>> At the moment I have selected this machines.
>> Could you give me some advice,
>>
>> Nikon CoolPix 5200
>> Canon Ixus 500
>> Konica-Minolita G500
>> Olympus C50
>> Olympus C60Z
>> Pentax S51
>>
>> Thank you. Very much
>>

> If you need advice, you're like me a bumbling amatuer (I'm not even sure
> how
> to spell "amatuer" - it always looks wrong to me). Please go to
> www.dpreview.com
> Go for the cheapest and smallest to start with. Lots of pricey cameras out
> there with loads of facilities which you may never use. Basic point &
> shoot.
> Most photos are impulse. No one wants to hang around while you waste time
> adjusting your settings. The resultant shot usually shows a bored face.
> Get a small camera so that it will fit inside your pocket. They are very
> attractive to thieves as I found out. If its too big for your pocket you
> may
> leave it down for a second - goodbye camera.
> The latest digital cameras are always the dearest. Search the web for last
> year's models. Good luck,
> Joe
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris D <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On 18 Oct 2004 18:26:26 -0700
>(E-Mail Removed) (Steven Scharf) wrote:
>
>> You might also look at the Canon A95, but the AA batteries are
>> a pain.

>
>Are they? They do mean that if you forget to pack your spare
>battery, you can pick up some AAs for a couple o bucks at
>pretty much any store you walk into, to get you through whilst
>the others charge. I Picked the A95 because of the AAs, and
>the fact that you can pick 'em up anywhere.


The advantage of the dedicated batteries is that they fit into smaller
spaces and most seem to have better discharge characteristics than
generic AA cells. I have had both sorts. There is an advantage in being
able to buy a new set of batteries out in the sticks - especially in the
bad old days when cameras drew a couple of amps and rechargeable
batteries lasted next to no time. But these days I can fill a 256MB card
on each battery.
>
>I've only just got an A95, but one thing I can tell you so far
>is that it gives VERY little warning before going flat!


NiCads can be pretty bordline for digicams even when fully charged. NiMH
are marginally better.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven M. Scharf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004

"Chris D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 18 Oct 2004 18:26:26 -0700
> (E-Mail Removed) (Steven Scharf) wrote:
>
> > You might also look at the Canon A95, but the AA batteries are
> > a pain.

>
> Are they? They do mean that if you forget to pack your spare
> battery, you can pick up some AAs for a couple o bucks at
> pretty much any store you walk into, to get you through whilst
> the others charge.


This argument has been posted ad-naueseum, but IMVAIO, it's a very weak
argument, and the disadvantages of AA batteries far outweigh this minor
advantage. If this is really a concern, you can buy a charger that charges
Li-Ion batteries from a pack of AA cells.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven M. Scharf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004

"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The advantage of the dedicated batteries is that they fit into smaller
> spaces and most seem to have better discharge characteristics than
> generic AA cells. I have had both sorts. There is an advantage in being
> able to buy a new set of batteries out in the sticks - especially in the
> bad old days when cameras drew a couple of amps and rechargeable
> batteries lasted next to no time. But these days I can fill a 256MB card
> on each battery.
> >
> >I've only just got an A95, but one thing I can tell you so far
> >is that it gives VERY little warning before going flat!

>
> NiCads can be pretty bordline for digicams even when fully charged. NiMH
> are marginally better.


This is true. Also, for an infrequently used camera, the NiMH AA cells
self-discharge much faster than the Li-Ion batteries.

I got my kids an A60 and I have an S500. The AA batteries are a pain in the
butt, since every time they want to use the camera it seems that the
batteries are dead. OTOH, I can not use the S500 for a month and it doesn't
lose much of the charge.

The other issue of course is the number of shots per battery (or set of
batteries). The battery in the S500 probably takes at least twice the number
of shots per battery than the A60, even though the battery weight and size
is smaller, and the S500 is 5 megapixels versus 2 megapixels.

The one possibility is an AA camera that takes the R-CRV3 Li-Ion packs as
well, but you'd typically need four batteries and two chargers to be able to
have one set charging while one is being used.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
URL for 4 megapixel vs. 7 megapixel Comparison Shots? Vik Rubenfeld Digital Photography 2 09-26-2005 08:51 AM
Sigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLRSigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLR sigmaphotojapan@yahoo.com Digital Photography 6 04-01-2005 05:26 PM
Sigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLRSigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLR sigmaphotojapan@yahoo.com Digital Photography 5 04-01-2005 02:08 PM
5 Megapixel VS. 4 Megapixel camera Mark Digital Photography 13 03-09-2005 04:06 PM
The Human Eye: 120 Megapixel Monochrome, 6 Megapixel Color Brian C. Baird Digital Photography 44 06-17-2004 06:12 PM



Advertisments