Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Professional Quality (Digital) Photo Prints?

Professional Quality (Digital) Photo Prints?

Ritchie Sobell

I'm somewhat new to digital photography and I shoot with a SONY
DSC-F828 in JPEG mode (using external flash) and the photos look
unbelievably perfect on a Windows PC (Dell Latitude Laptop). When I
print the same photos at SAMS CLUB photo lab, picture quality does not
look impressive at all both sharpness and brightness. Printed
pictures look dull. If I want professional quality prints with my
digital photos what are my options? I know TIFF could improve
sharpness and picture quality but I don't know of any printer that
supports TIFF formats. If I were to buy a printer to print
professional quality photos what would you guys recommend based on
your experience? I'm willing to spend about $1500 for a high-end
professional quality printer. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Clyde Torres

"Ritchie Sobell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm somewhat new to digital photography and I shoot with a SONY
> DSC-F828 in JPEG mode (using external flash) and the photos look
> unbelievably perfect on a Windows PC (Dell Latitude Laptop). When I
> print the same photos at SAMS CLUB photo lab, picture quality does not
> look impressive at all - both sharpness and brightness. Printed
> pictures look dull. If I want professional quality prints with my
> digital photos what are my options? I know TIFF could improve
> sharpness and picture quality but I don't know of any printer that
> supports TIFF formats. If I were to buy a printer to print
> professional quality photos what would you guys recommend based on
> your experience? I'm willing to spend about $1500 for a high-end
> professional quality printer. Any feedback will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Ritchie,

Why spend $1500 for a high end printer when you can get extremely good
professional results from the right color lab. Of course you will have to
conform to their way of doing business, which isn't that big of a deal.
Turn around time is two days. Check out the following link:

www.whcc.com

It was recommended to me about three months ago, and they are excellent.

Clyde Torres

Ross

When talking about printing you're not only talking printer but inks as
well.

For mine, I'd go for the Canon printers every time with Canon inks.

Ross

"Ritchie Sobell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm somewhat new to digital photography and I shoot with a SONY
> DSC-F828 in JPEG mode (using external flash) and the photos look
> unbelievably perfect on a Windows PC (Dell Latitude Laptop). When I
> print the same photos at SAMS CLUB photo lab, picture quality does not
> look impressive at all - both sharpness and brightness. Printed
> pictures look dull. If I want professional quality prints with my
> digital photos what are my options? I know TIFF could improve
> sharpness and picture quality but I don't know of any printer that
> supports TIFF formats. If I were to buy a printer to print
> professional quality photos what would you guys recommend based on
> your experience? I'm willing to spend about $1500 for a high-end
> professional quality printer. Any feedback will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

George E. Cawthon

HUH? My scanner can store images as TIFFs and my printer has no
problem with those. You can't compare what you see on a screen with
what you see printed. Try taking your images elsewhere to have them
printed and compare them with what you got at SAMS; maybe SAMS printer
is just not adjusted correctly.

Ritchie Sobell wrote:

> I'm somewhat new to digital photography and I shoot with a SONY
> DSC-F828 in JPEG mode (using external flash) and the photos look
> unbelievably perfect on a Windows PC (Dell Latitude Laptop). When I
> print the same photos at SAMS CLUB photo lab, picture quality does not
> look impressive at all both sharpness and brightness. Printed
> pictures look dull. If I want professional quality prints with my
> digital photos what are my options? I know TIFF could improve
> sharpness and picture quality but I don't know of any printer that
> supports TIFF formats. If I were to buy a printer to print
> professional quality photos what would you guys recommend based on
> your experience? I'm willing to spend about $1500 for a high-end
> professional quality printer. Any feedback will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Drifter

On 17 Oct 2004 14:39:19 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ritchie Sobell)
wrote:

>I'm somewhat new to digital photography and I shoot with a SONY
>DSC-F828 in JPEG mode (using external flash) and the photos look
>unbelievably perfect on a Windows PC (Dell Latitude Laptop). When I
>print the same photos at SAMS CLUB photo lab, picture quality does not
>look impressive at all both sharpness and brightness. Printed
>pictures look dull. If I want professional quality prints with my
>digital photos what are my options? I know TIFF could improve
>sharpness and picture quality but I don't know of any printer that
>supports TIFF formats. If I were to buy a printer to print
>professional quality photos what would you guys recommend based on
>your experience? I'm willing to spend about $1500 for a high-end
>professional quality printer. Any feedback will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the SAMS printer isn't calibrated correctly. The first
thing I would do is try running off a set of prints somewhere else.
If they come out acceptably then go back to SAMS and let them know
(bring the "nicer" prints to show them). I have a local drugstore
with a Kodak booth that does great prints most of the time, but gets a
bit off kilter once in a while until a customer mentions it to the
manager.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

REED BOXIN

i use sams club and i get excellent results .
i edit the pics with C.S. then burn them to disk sized the print size i want,
4x6,5x7, 8x10 etc .

ive been shooting(canon 10d 70-200 2.8l is ) night time high school football @
1600 iso and the prints look great .

ive also printed out some shots taken with strobes and there were exactly as
they looked on my screen after editing .

a few the faces looked washed as i had bumbed my aperature dial not knowingly
and wanted to see how they printed , the right exposures were excellent the
washed out ones looked just that.
i guess for now were both on the same calibration ,hope it stays that way .

are you using a editing program to edit the prints before having them done
there ?.
gene

>I'm somewhat new to digital photography and I shoot with a SONY
>DSC-F828 in JPEG mode (using external flash) and the photos look
>unbelievably perfect on a Windows PC (Dell Latitude Laptop). When I
>print the same photos at SAMS CLUB photo lab, picture quality does not
>look impressive at all – both sharpness and brightness. Printed
>pictures look dull. If I want professional quality prints with my
>digital photos what are my options? I know TIFF could improve
>sharpness and picture quality but I don't know of any printer that
>supports TIFF formats. If I were to buy a printer to print
>professional quality photos what would you guys recommend based on
>your experience? I'm willing to spend about $1500 for a high-end
>professional quality printer. Any feedback will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance.

gsum

Because it is far cheaper, much more satisfying and you'll get much
better results if you do it yourself.

Get an Epson 7600 - bargain of the century. The 7600 produces
huge prints (assuming you have the camera to match) that are
light fast for many years.

Graham

"Clyde Torres" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Z2Ccd.17991$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "Ritchie Sobell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I'm somewhat new to digital photography and I shoot with a SONY
> > DSC-F828 in JPEG mode (using external flash) and the photos look
> > unbelievably perfect on a Windows PC (Dell Latitude Laptop). When I
> > print the same photos at SAMS CLUB photo lab, picture quality does not
> > look impressive at all - both sharpness and brightness. Printed
> > pictures look dull. If I want professional quality prints with my
> > digital photos what are my options? I know TIFF could improve
> > sharpness and picture quality but I don't know of any printer that
> > supports TIFF formats. If I were to buy a printer to print
> > professional quality photos what would you guys recommend based on
> > your experience? I'm willing to spend about $1500 for a high-end
> > professional quality printer. Any feedback will be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

> Ritchie,
>
> Why spend $1500 for a high end printer when you can get extremely good
> professional results from the right color lab. Of course you will have to
> conform to their way of doing business, which isn't that big of a deal.
> Turn around time is two days. Check out the following link:
>
> www.whcc.com
>
> It was recommended to me about three months ago, and they are excellent.
>
> Clyde Torres

David Azose

Hi Ritchie,

I not familiar with the Sony camera you have so my comments will be
general. For the best quality prints, you should set your camera so that
it takes the highest (finest) resolution pictures with the least amount
of compression. You wont get as many pictures on you memory card, but
each picture should be better.

You didn't say what size photos Sams Club was printing for you. Most
point and shoot cameras can make decent 4x5 inch photos. If you really
want to print your own on an inkjet printer, you certainly don't have to
spend anywhere near $1500. The Epson R800 is one of the best photo
quality printers around, used by many professional photographers for
making 8.5x11 and smaller prints. It cost $400. The ink and paper will
end up costing more than that, though, once you get started.

David A.

Ritchie Sobell wrote:

>I'm somewhat new to digital photography and I shoot with a SONY
>DSC-F828 in JPEG mode (using external flash) and the photos look
>unbelievably perfect on a Windows PC (Dell Latitude Laptop). When I
>print the same photos at SAMS CLUB photo lab, picture quality does not
>look impressive at all both sharpness and brightness. Printed
>pictures look dull. If I want professional quality prints with my
>digital photos what are my options? I know TIFF could improve
>sharpness and picture quality but I don't know of any printer that
>supports TIFF formats. If I were to buy a printer to print
>professional quality photos what would you guys recommend based on
>your experience? I'm willing to spend about $1500 for a high-end
>professional quality printer. Any feedback will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance.

Bob Williams

Ritchie Sobell wrote:
> I'm somewhat new to digital photography and I shoot with a SONY
> DSC-F828 in JPEG mode (using external flash) and the photos look
> unbelievably perfect on a Windows PC (Dell Latitude Laptop). When I
> print the same photos at SAMS CLUB photo lab, picture quality does not
> look impressive at all both sharpness and brightness. Printed
> pictures look dull. If I want professional quality prints with my
> digital photos what are my options? I know TIFF could improve
> sharpness and picture quality but I don't know of any printer that
> supports TIFF formats. If I were to buy a printer to print
> professional quality photos what would you guys recommend based on
> your experience? I'm willing to spend about $1500 for a high-end
> professional quality printer. Any feedback will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

A monitor is a low resolution device compared to a printer.
Things that look sharp on a monitor may not look so hot on a printer.
Did you send Sams a full 8 MP image in high quality .jpeg?
What size print did you order?
An 8 MP image should produce a tack sharp 8 x 10 print
Forget about saving it in Tiff. You will never see the difference
between a tiff and a highest quality .jpeg.
Also you don't need to spend anywhere near $1500 for a good inkjet
printer. Unless you want humongous prints, you can't do better than an
Epson R800 or a Canon i960 or the larger format i9900.
Bob Williams

Mick Brown

$1500 US dollars is a fair bit of money for a printer, do you need something
that expensive, probably not, unless you want to print larger than A4 (or
whatever the equiv is there). If you need to go bigger look at the Epson
2100 it prints up to A3 and has exceptional quality. If A4 is good enough
then the R800 is the go.

No offence to any users of other brands, but from my experience when it
comes to professional inkjets, you can't go past Epson (at the moment). And
before I get flamed, yes I have owned and heavily used other brands.

--
Michael Brown
Melbourne Australia