Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Professional Quality (Digital) Photo Prints?

Professional Quality (Digital) Photo Prints?

Jim A

Michael Brown is spot-on. The Epson 2100 or 2200 in the USA is the BEST on
the market for up to A3 size images. I have had one for 18 months and use it
extensively with Epson inks and it gives excellent results.

Your images should be .tiff (preferably 48 bit) files to start with and edit
them in Photoshop CS before sending them to your printer.

"Mick Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kGMcd.30404$(E-Mail Removed)...
> $1500 US dollars is a fair bit of money for a printer, do you need
> something
> that expensive, probably not, unless you want to print larger than A4 (or
> whatever the equiv is there). If you need to go bigger look at the Epson
> 2100 it prints up to A3 and has exceptional quality. If A4 is good enough
> then the R800 is the go.
>
> No offence to any users of other brands, but from my experience when it
> comes to professional inkjets, you can't go past Epson (at the moment).
> And
> before I get flamed, yes I have owned and heavily used other brands.
>

> --
> Michael Brown
> Melbourne Australia
> www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown
>

> "Ritchie Sobell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> I'm somewhat new to digital photography and I shoot with a SONY
>> DSC-F828 in JPEG mode (using external flash) and the photos look
>> unbelievably perfect on a Windows PC (Dell Latitude Laptop). When I
>> print the same photos at SAMS CLUB photo lab, picture quality does not
>> look impressive at all - both sharpness and brightness. Printed
>> pictures look dull. If I want professional quality prints with my
>> digital photos what are my options? I know TIFF could improve
>> sharpness and picture quality but I don't know of any printer that
>> supports TIFF formats. If I were to buy a printer to print
>> professional quality photos what would you guys recommend based on
>> your experience? I'm willing to spend about $1500 for a high-end
>> professional quality printer. Any feedback will be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

When you say the printer does or doesn't support a TIFF file, I assume
you mean if you are printing directly to the printer, rather than
through your computer. If you are printing through the computer, it
doesn't matter what format the file is, as long as your photo editing
application can read the file.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ritchie Sobell) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> I'm somewhat new to digital photography and I shoot with a SONY
> DSC-F828 in JPEG mode (using external flash) and the photos look
> unbelievably perfect on a Windows PC (Dell Latitude Laptop). When I
> print the same photos at SAMS CLUB photo lab, picture quality does not
> look impressive at all ? both sharpness and brightness. Printed
> pictures look dull. If I want professional quality prints with my
> digital photos what are my options? I know TIFF could improve
> sharpness and picture quality but I don't know of any printer that
> supports TIFF formats. If I were to buy a printer to print
> professional quality photos what would you guys recommend based on
> your experience? I'm willing to spend about $1500 for a high-end
> professional quality printer. Any feedback will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Ritchie Sobell

Thanks a bunch for all your feedback...

I shoot in 8MP, high qulaity jpeg, and use Adobe PhotoShop Element to
edit the photos and resize them to both 5x7 and 8x10 sizes then save
them as high quality jpeg (all using Adobe PhotoShop Element) and take
them for prining. Will directly taking the original 8MP jpeg have any
impact on the outcome (compared to the edited and resized ones)?

Again, Thanks for all your feedback.

Bob Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Ritchie Sobell wrote:
> > I'm somewhat new to digital photography and I shoot with a SONY
> > DSC-F828 in JPEG mode (using external flash) and the photos look
> > unbelievably perfect on a Windows PC (Dell Latitude Laptop). When I
> > print the same photos at SAMS CLUB photo lab, picture quality does not
> > look impressive at all both sharpness and brightness. Printed
> > pictures look dull. If I want professional quality prints with my
> > digital photos what are my options? I know TIFF could improve
> > sharpness and picture quality but I don't know of any printer that
> > supports TIFF formats. If I were to buy a printer to print
> > professional quality photos what would you guys recommend based on
> > your experience? I'm willing to spend about $1500 for a high-end
> > professional quality printer. Any feedback will be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

> A monitor is a low resolution device compared to a printer.
> Things that look sharp on a monitor may not look so hot on a printer.
> Did you send Sams a full 8 MP image in high quality .jpeg?
> What size print did you order?
> An 8 MP image should produce a tack sharp 8 x 10 print
> Forget about saving it in Tiff. You will never see the difference
> between a tiff and a highest quality .jpeg.
> Also you don't need to spend anywhere near $1500 for a good inkjet
> printer. Unless you want humongous prints, you can't do better than an
> Epson R800 or a Canon i960 or the larger format i9900.
> Bob Williams

Bob Williams

You seem to be doing everything right
When (if) you resample your images, be sure you use bicubic
interpolation and keep at least 300 ppi resolution.
Unless you are doing something wrong in Elements, it really shouldn't
make much difference whether you resize the image or the printer does it
for you.
Suggestions:
Put your camera on a sturdy tripod and use the self timer to trip the
shutter.
Shoot a very colorful and detailed subject (e.g. a vase of flowers).
Shoot at 3264 x 2448 pixels and Fine .jpeg compression.
Look at the image in Elements at 100% size. Maybe even 200%.
It will be huge on your monitor. Examine detail critically.
If it is very sharp, crop to 8x10 @ 300 dpi resolution.
Send the file to Sams and to several online processors.
Some sites popular with members of this NG are: EZprints.com,
xpPhoto.com and WalMart.com
The experiment will cost a few $$ but you will learn a lot.
If none of the prints are tack sharp, you may have a faulty camera.
If one online printer is superior to the others, then yo know who to go
to next time. You may find that for big enlargements (8x10 or larger)
you COULD come out ahead, money wise, by letting an online printer do
the work for you. You will still want a nice inkjet printer at home for
those pictures you want right away. Besides it's a lot of fun making
your own prints. Good Luck on this project.
Bob Williams