Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > i9900 power problem

i9900 power problem

Robert Sefton

Just received my new i9900 via FedEx a few days ago. I set it up and printed
some beautiful 4x6 and 8x10 prints, no problems at all. Tried to turn it on
yesterday and it's dead. It's plugged in and I checked the voltage on the
printer end of the power cord just in case the cord was bad. No response
when I push the power button. I went through the Canon troubleshooting guide
and it doesn't address this problem.

Anyone else seen this? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

Mr Jessop

"Robert Sefton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just received my new i9900 via FedEx a few days ago. I set it up and
> printed some beautiful 4x6 and 8x10 prints, no problems at all. Tried to
> turn it on yesterday and it's dead. It's plugged in and I checked the
> voltage on the printer end of the power cord just in case the cord was
> bad. No response when I push the power button. I went through the Canon
> troubleshooting guide and it doesn't address this problem.
>
> Anyone else seen this? Any thoughts?

IF its that dead then try the fuse in the plug. Or don't you have them out
there? When its completely doornail dead its time to get a replacement
especially after such a short period of time.

Dennis D. Carter

Robert,
Not to sound like a smartass but you should check your power source. Make
sure you don't have a fuse blown.
If you still have a problem, contact Canon.

When you get it up and running, let me know what you think of the prints. I
have the i9900 and think the quality is outstanding.

Dennis D. Carter

"Robert Sefton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just received my new i9900 via FedEx a few days ago. I set it up and
> printed some beautiful 4x6 and 8x10 prints, no problems at all. Tried to
> turn it on yesterday and it's dead. It's plugged in and I checked the
> voltage on the printer end of the power cord just in case the cord was
> bad. No response when I push the power button. I went through the Canon
> troubleshooting guide and it doesn't address this problem.
>
> Anyone else seen this? Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

Gary Eickmeier

Mr Jessop wrote:
> "Robert Sefton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Just received my new i9900 via FedEx a few days ago. I set it up and
>>printed some beautiful 4x6 and 8x10 prints, no problems at all. Tried to
>>turn it on yesterday and it's dead. It's plugged in and I checked the
>>voltage on the printer end of the power cord just in case the cord was
>>bad. No response when I push the power button. I went through the Canon
>>troubleshooting guide and it doesn't address this problem.
>>
>>Anyone else seen this? Any thoughts?

> IF its that dead then try the fuse in the plug. Or don't you have them out
> there? When its completely doornail dead its time to get a replacement
> especially after such a short period of time.

No. You just disconnect the power cord for 5 minutes, then reconnect,
and whamo. For some strange reason. It's in the web site's
troubleshooting guide.

Gary Eickmeier

RobJ

Hi Dennis -

I checked the obvious stuff, but thanks. It's dead. I contacted Canon
support via email today (Sunday) and much to their credit and my surprise
they responded within a few hours. Since it failed within 30 days of
purchase I have the option to swap it for a new one, but I'm in San Diego
and there's an authorized service facility close by. I'll just have it
fixed. The 3-4 prints I made before it died were impressive. Looking forward
to more of the same.

Rob

"Dennis D. Carter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wcDcd.712775$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robert,
> Not to sound like a smartass but you should check your power source. Make
> sure you don't have a fuse blown.
> If you still have a problem, contact Canon.
>
> When you get it up and running, let me know what you think of the prints.
> I have the i9900 and think the quality is outstanding.
>
> Dennis D. Carter

RobJ

"Gary Eickmeier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:voEcd.18082$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> No. You just disconnect the power cord for 5 minutes, then reconnect, and
> whamo. For some strange reason. It's in the web site's troubleshooting
> guide.
>
> Gary Eickmeier

Gary -

I didn't see that one. Here's the reply from Canon product support:

"Thank you for contacting Canon product support. I am sorry to hear about
the power issues
you are experiencing with your i9900 printer. Unfortunately, the best
suggestion I can provide
is to try the i9900 on other known working outlets. If it does not power on,
there are not
troubleshooting steps we can provide. The i9900 will require service."

Rob

Gary Eickmeier

RobJ wrote:

> Gary -
>
> I didn't see that one. Here's the reply from Canon product support:
>
> "Thank you for contacting Canon product support. I am sorry to hear about
> the power issues
> you are experiencing with your i9900 printer. Unfortunately, the best
> suggestion I can provide
> is to try the i9900 on other known working outlets. If it does not power on,
> there are not
> troubleshooting steps we can provide. The i9900 will require service."

All I can tell you is it worked with my i950. After a recent hurricane,
when I disconnected all of my equipment to protect it from power surges
etc, when I powered back up again my 950 was dead as a doornail. I took
it to a different outlet, nothing. I was looking up my full replacement
warranty when I decided one last ditch effort would be worth saving the
trip to Tampa to exchange it. The troubleshooting guide said unplug it
and re-plug it after some time period. Sounded crazy, but it worked.

But I presume you have already tried it and failed, so maybe the 9900 is
different.

Gary Eickmeier