Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Should I switch?

Should I switch?

Phil Wheeler

Michael A. Covington wrote:

> I am facing a similar dilemma, but the application involves a lot of
> astrophotography.
>
> The Nikon D70, Digital Rebel, and EOS 10D perform well enough, in long
> exposures, to be usable for astronomy. Of these, the D70 is somewhat worse
> than the Canons.
>
> But I have invested very heavily in Nikon film cameras and lenses...
>
> But Digital Rebels are cheap, and this Christmas, they're going to be in all
> the department stores...
>
> I hear that the zoom lens that comes with the Digital Rebel isn't very good.

Actually the 18-55 lens is very adequate as a 3x zoom. I and others
have gotten good results considering it is a $100 lens.

Phil

GT40

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:33:34 -0400, "Michael A. Covington"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am facing a similar dilemma, but the application involves a lot of
>astrophotography.
>
>The Nikon D70, Digital Rebel, and EOS 10D perform well enough, in long
>exposures, to be usable for astronomy. Of these, the D70 is somewhat worse
>than the Canons.
>
>But I have invested very heavily in Nikon film cameras and lenses...
>
>But Digital Rebels are cheap, and this Christmas, they're going to be in all
>the department stores...
>
>I hear that the zoom lens that comes with the Digital Rebel isn't very good.
>(It's not used for astronomy, of course; I'd get a telescope adapter for
>that. But I also want to do general picture-taking.) Comments and advice
>on this, anyone?
>
>Also, Hutech (www.hutech.com I think) is selling Digital Rebels with the
>infrared filter modified to admit more deep-red light, for photographing
>nebulae. In essence they convert it from having the response of Fuji slide
>film (as it does out of the box) to having a response more like Elite Chrome
>200. They say this doesn't throw off the color balance noticeably.
>
>Thoughts, anyone?

Got an extra $80k with nothing to do? You can order a 1200mm lens
from Canon

Richard Ballard

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dervical) writes:

>I will not lose a lot of money, considering I
>can sell the film equipment that I will not use and easily make up the
>difference I am going to encounter to get the equivalent canon equipment.

My experience is that offered prices for used photographic
equipment [exceptions(?): Hasselblad and Leica] are disappointing.

We are in an interesting photographic market. Consumer grade
digital camera capabilities are improving rapidly. Months from
now, you might get the same capabilities in a lower grade camera
for much less money.

IMO keeping your current equipment combined with judicious
shopping/waiting is the best strategy.

An unbidden comment: I am not a fan of on-digital-camera zoom --
optical zoom or digital zoom. Inexpensive zoom lenses revolutionized
slide film photography -- you could crop when you took the picture.
But digital photography offers the option for computer postprocessing
-- cropping when you take the picture is not necessary.

IMO a good resolution point-and-shoot digital camera combined
with computer postprocessing offers cost and/or weight advantages
over digital zoom/optical zoom digital cameras.

"All Rights Reserved"?
If I 'right' must I reserve?

I gut know problems.
Other people gut problems.
00: 18+ _8 02 03/35 06 09

Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ
--
Consultant specializing in computer networks, imaging & security
Listed as rjballard in "Friends & Favorites" at www.amazon.com
Last book review: "Guerrilla Television" by Michael Shamberg

Skip M

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Second, the EOS lens mount was originally designed significantly
>> larger than most other lens mounts at the time, for the purpose of
>> making faster lenses possible (I believe there's an f/0.8 50mm
>> available). The availability of faster lenses should be important to
>> your work.

> For sports? I doubt it -- the f/2 and f/2.8 telephoto lenses
> available from the two manufacturers are fairly similar. I'll grant
> you that Nikon can't manage better than f/1.2, but lenses that fast
> are extremely rare anyway.
>
> Andrew.

That's ok, the Canon f1.0 50mm is out of production, now, any way, leaving
them with the 85mm f1.2 as their fastest lens.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Phil Stripling

(E-Mail Removed) (Dervical) writes:

> That background brings me to my question, do I make the switch to canon, now
> that I am completely digital? I will not lose a lot of money, considering I
> can sell the film equipment that I will not use and easily make up the
> difference I am going to encounter to get the equivalent canon equipment.

That's a question only you can answer. After years of using one brand, will
the switch make you less competent as you relearn another user interface
and control system? If so, how long to regain your competence. My
suggestion is, if you live somewhere near a rental outlet, rent a Canon for
a week or a weekend, depending on your budget, and see who you like the new
body and controls.

Matt Ion

GT40 wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:06:13 GMT, Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Dervical wrote:
>>

>>>I shoot 70-80% sports, on almost every level, and do a lot of high
>>>iso shooting, so this is a major concern for me.

>>I think this is the key, not just for the noise issue, but for that fact
>>that Canon's autofocus *system* has some notable advantages over Nikon's.
>>
>>For one, Canon's AF lenses all have the AF motors built into the lenses,
>>which makes for faster response time. Also, Canon's USM (Ultrasonic
>>Motor) AF lenses: while I've not tried one myself, I hear nothing but
>>raves about how fast (focus speed) and quiet they are.
>>
>>Second, the EOS lens mount was originally designed significantly larger
>>than most other lens mounts at the time, for the purpose of making
>>faster lenses possible (I believe there's an f/0.8 50mm available). The
>>availability of faster lenses should be important to your work.

> Canon used to make a 50mm 1.0 lens, but they don't anymore, they also
> made a 200 1.8 but not anymore.

The point remains, the EOS design uses a wider lens mount that allows
for the design and use of faster lenses.

Matt Ion

Michael A. Covington wrote:

> I hear that the zoom lens that comes with the Digital Rebel isn't very good.
> (It's not used for astronomy, of course; I'd get a telescope adapter for
> that. But I also want to do general picture-taking.) Comments and advice
> on this, anyone?

Actually, I've found the Digital Rebel's 18-55mm zoom to be a very good
lens, for what it is (a low-end bundled kit lens). It's worlds better
than the sloppy, clunky 28-90mm that came with my RebelG film body.

Matt Ion

Phil Stripling wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Dervical) writes:
>

>>That background brings me to my question, do I make the switch to canon, now
>>that I am completely digital? I will not lose a lot of money, considering I
>>can sell the film equipment that I will not use and easily make up the
>>difference I am going to encounter to get the equivalent canon equipment.

> That's a question only you can answer. After years of using one brand, will
> the switch make you less competent as you relearn another user interface
> and control system? If so, how long to regain your competence. My
> suggestion is, if you live somewhere near a rental outlet, rent a Canon for
> a week or a weekend, depending on your budget, and see who you like the new
> body and controls.

Going from film to digital, the only part of the interface that's going
to be familiar is the control dial and the shutter button anyway,
regardless of brand.

George Stewart

I have no doubt that when Nikon finally introduces a full-frame
digital that it will be better than the Canon - in many ways. However,
right now, I think that Nikon is getting stomped.

I'm an amateur photographer who shoots 35mm through 8x10" and own an
F4. I still shoot only film, so I can wait until Nikon introduces a
pro camera with a full-frame imager for about $3,000. I thought of
selling my nikon stuff, but what would I get? I priced my stuff out
and might get $1,500 for what I payed over $6,000 for. That wouldn't
even scratch at the 1DS. So, I'll sit tight.

If I were in your shoes, I'd ebay my film stuff quickly and order a
1DS Mark II, and a backup. Then I'd off the Nikon digital as you
pickup the new bodies and glass. As a pro, I don't think you can let
your competition get the upper hand with better equipment and
resulting images.

The sensor in the D2X is supposedly made by Sony, and has a very high
density factor. Considering that Sony has noise issues with its 8MP
sensor on consumer digicams, I'd think that the D2X will have similar
issues. You could wait to see what the reviews say, but if they aren't
flattering, you'll be that much further behind.

Phil Stripling

Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Going from film to digital, the only part of the interface that's going
> to be familiar is the control dial and the shutter button anyway,
> regardless of brand.

Not so. The consumer digital Nikon is built on the N80, which I use. Going
from an N80 to that digital camera won't mean re-learning the controls
which are common -- and there are many.