Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 20d with EF 28-135 IS lens

Canon 20d with EF 28-135 IS lens

Chetan Mistry

I thinking of upgrading my 35mm EOS 30e (Elan 7e) SLR to a 20d.
However I'm not sure if I should hang on to my EF 28-135 IS lens and
use it with the 20d. What are the pros and cons of keeping this lens?
Ideally I'd like to get the 20d with the EFS 17-85 IS lens but it all
depends on budget. I belive my options are:

Option 1: 20d + 18-55 + 28-135IS
Option 2: 20d + 17-85IS
Option 3: 20d + 17-85IS + 28-135IS (pointless?)

What would be the best upgrade option?

Jim Townsend

Chetan Mistry wrote:

> I thinking of upgrading my 35mm EOS 30e (Elan 7e) SLR to a 20d.
> However I'm not sure if I should hang on to my EF 28-135 IS lens and
> use it with the 20d. What are the pros and cons of keeping this lens?
> Ideally I'd like to get the 20d with the EFS 17-85 IS lens but it all
> depends on budget. I belive my options are:
>
> Option 1: 20d + 18-55 + 28-135IS

This is what I'd do.. I don't know your shooting style, but
personally, I'd like to have the option of having the 135mm focal
length for the odd instance where you couldn't get close enough.

Matt Ion

Chetan Mistry wrote:

> I thinking of upgrading my 35mm EOS 30e (Elan 7e) SLR to a 20d.
> However I'm not sure if I should hang on to my EF 28-135 IS lens and
> use it with the 20d. What are the pros and cons of keeping this lens?
> Ideally I'd like to get the 20d with the EFS 17-85 IS lens but it all
> depends on budget. I belive my options are:
>
> Option 1: 20d + 18-55 + 28-135IS
> Option 2: 20d + 17-85IS
> Option 3: 20d + 17-85IS + 28-135IS (pointless?)
>
> What would be the best upgrade option?

DO you shoot a lot more close-up, wide-angle stuff that would require
something in the 17mm-28mm range, or do you lean more toward long-range
telephoto shots that would benefit from the 85mm-135mm range?

Chuck

some reviews:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...rt=7&thecat=27

"Chetan Mistry" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I thinking of upgrading my 35mm EOS 30e (Elan 7e) SLR to a 20d.
> However I'm not sure if I should hang on to my EF 28-135 IS lens and
> use it with the 20d. What are the pros and cons of keeping this lens?
> Ideally I'd like to get the 20d with the EFS 17-85 IS lens but it all
> depends on budget. I belive my options are:
>
> Option 1: 20d + 18-55 + 28-135IS
> Option 2: 20d + 17-85IS
> Option 3: 20d + 17-85IS + 28-135IS (pointless?)
>
> What would be the best upgrade option?

Chuck

some reviews:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...rt=7&thecat=27

"Chetan Mistry" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I thinking of upgrading my 35mm EOS 30e (Elan 7e) SLR to a 20d.
> However I'm not sure if I should hang on to my EF 28-135 IS lens and
> use it with the 20d. What are the pros and cons of keeping this lens?
> Ideally I'd like to get the 20d with the EFS 17-85 IS lens but it all
> depends on budget. I belive my options are:
>
> Option 1: 20d + 18-55 + 28-135IS
> Option 2: 20d + 17-85IS
> Option 3: 20d + 17-85IS + 28-135IS (pointless?)
>
> What would be the best upgrade option?

Phil Wheeler

I've gone with option 2. But also have 300D + 18-55 + 28-135IS (now
wife's system). That works fine, too -- just more lens switching in cities.

Phil

Matt Ion wrote:
> Chetan Mistry wrote:
>
>> I thinking of upgrading my 35mm EOS 30e (Elan 7e) SLR to a 20d.
>> However I'm not sure if I should hang on to my EF 28-135 IS lens and
>> use it with the 20d. What are the pros and cons of keeping this lens?
>> Ideally I'd like to get the 20d with the EFS 17-85 IS lens but it all
>> depends on budget. I belive my options are:
>>
>> Option 1: 20d + 18-55 + 28-135IS
>> Option 2: 20d + 17-85IS
>> Option 3: 20d + 17-85IS + 28-135IS (pointless?)
>>
>> What would be the best upgrade option?

> DO you shoot a lot more close-up, wide-angle stuff that would require
> something in the 17mm-28mm range, or do you lean more toward long-range
> telephoto shots that would benefit from the 85mm-135mm range?

Skip M

"Chetan Mistry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I thinking of upgrading my 35mm EOS 30e (Elan 7e) SLR to a 20d.
> However I'm not sure if I should hang on to my EF 28-135 IS lens and
> use it with the 20d. What are the pros and cons of keeping this lens?
> Ideally I'd like to get the 20d with the EFS 17-85 IS lens but it all
> depends on budget. I belive my options are:
>
> Option 1: 20d + 18-55 + 28-135IS
> Option 2: 20d + 17-85IS
> Option 3: 20d + 17-85IS + 28-135IS (pointless?)
>
> What would be the best upgrade option?

I inadvertently went with option #1, I bought a 20D with 18-55 to get my
hands on a second 20D after Canon slowed down their shipments of "body
only." I'm amazed at the quality of image, but the lens is cheap, cheap,
cheap. But only $100 more than the body only price, it's sort of hard to
argue with unless you really need IS.
Here's an image with the 18-55:
http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...ces&picture=26

And the 28-135:
http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...ces&picture=20

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

philipp

Skip - These are some great action shots - Question - Did you have the
IS turned ON or OFF in the action photos?

Skip M wrote:

> "Chetan Mistry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>
>>I thinking of upgrading my 35mm EOS 30e (Elan 7e) SLR to a 20d.
>>However I'm not sure if I should hang on to my EF 28-135 IS lens and
>>use it with the 20d. What are the pros and cons of keeping this lens?
>>Ideally I'd like to get the 20d with the EFS 17-85 IS lens but it all
>>depends on budget. I belive my options are:
>>
>>Option 1: 20d + 18-55 + 28-135IS
>>Option 2: 20d + 17-85IS
>>Option 3: 20d + 17-85IS + 28-135IS (pointless?)
>>
>>What would be the best upgrade option?

> I inadvertently went with option #1, I bought a 20D with 18-55 to get my
> hands on a second 20D after Canon slowed down their shipments of "body
> only." I'm amazed at the quality of image, but the lens is cheap, cheap,
> cheap. But only $100 more than the body only price, it's sort of hard to
> argue with unless you really need IS.
> Here's an image with the 18-55:
> http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...ces&picture=26
>
> And the 28-135:
> http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...ces&picture=20

Skip M

I forgot to turn the IS off, as it should be with the 28-135 IS when
panning.

--
"philipp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Skip - These are some great action shots - Question - Did you have the IS
> turned ON or OFF in the action photos?
>
> Skip M wrote:
>
>> "Chetan Mistry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>
>>>I thinking of upgrading my 35mm EOS 30e (Elan 7e) SLR to a 20d.
>>>However I'm not sure if I should hang on to my EF 28-135 IS lens and
>>>use it with the 20d. What are the pros and cons of keeping this lens?
>>>Ideally I'd like to get the 20d with the EFS 17-85 IS lens but it all
>>>depends on budget. I belive my options are:
>>>
>>>Option 1: 20d + 18-55 + 28-135IS
>>>Option 2: 20d + 17-85IS
>>>Option 3: 20d + 17-85IS + 28-135IS (pointless?)
>>>
>>>What would be the best upgrade option?

>> I inadvertently went with option #1, I bought a 20D with 18-55 to get my
>> hands on a second 20D after Canon slowed down their shipments of "body
>> only." I'm amazed at the quality of image, but the lens is cheap, cheap,
>> cheap. But only $100 more than the body only price, it's sort of hard to
>> argue with unless you really need IS.
>> Here's an image with the 18-55:
>> http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...ces&picture=26
>>
>> And the 28-135:
>> http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...ces&picture=20

philipp

It didn't seem to hurt anything though.

I would like to see a comparison of similar shots with the IS both ON & OFF.