Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak 7590 purchase...good camera?

Kodak 7590 purchase...good camera?

GolfNut

fixing to buy a new digital camera. i have had my eye on buying the
6490...but now they came out with the 7590.

other than 5 MP...i don't see much difference except any
system/hardware improvements since the 6490.

any suggestions or thoughts??

thanks!
tw

Ron Hunter

GolfNut wrote:
> fixing to buy a new digital camera. i have had my eye on buying the
> 6490...but now they came out with the 7590.
>
> other than 5 MP...i don't see much difference except any
> system/hardware improvements since the 6490.
>
> any suggestions or thoughts??
>
> thanks!
> tw

I think I would go with the later model. While 4/5mp isn't a great
leap, it will add a bit more flexibility to the post processing process.

GolfNut

true...but worth the extra $100??

tw

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 07:45:58 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>GolfNut wrote:
>> fixing to buy a new digital camera. i have had my eye on buying the
>> 6490...but now they came out with the 7590.
>>
>> other than 5 MP...i don't see much difference except any
>> system/hardware improvements since the 6490.
>>
>> any suggestions or thoughts??
>>
>> thanks!
>> tw

>I think I would go with the later model. While 4/5mp isn't a great
>leap, it will add a bit more flexibility to the post processing process.

Mr. Cellophane

My first digital camera was a Kodak DC4800 3.2 mp which I loved.
Great size, great pictures, no drawbacks that I could see. When I
moved up, 3 yrs later, I bought the Kodak 6490. It had a real fault
that I never experienced with the 4800 - shutter lag! The camera
took too long to capture the frame after pressing the shutter release,
and much, much too long to set up for the next shot. Unless the
7590's release & setup speeds have changed, I wouldn't recommend
getting either of them. I sent the camera back & purchased a Minolta
A2 which I am extremely happy with. The 7590 is now selling for
around $499 on the internet, I paid $650 for the A2, so, while price
is not really a problem for me, the difference is really minimal. I
had paid $309 for the 6490, so the A2 was around 2x the cost, but
it turns on instantly, has less than 1/2sec release lag, & instant
recovery. Coupled with an anti shake mechanism and other features
which are really super, I know that I will be satisfied for at least
the next 2-3 years or so (until the next generation).
Regards,
APS

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:36:51 -0500, GolfNut <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>fixing to buy a new digital camera. i have had my eye on buying the
>6490...but now they came out with the 7590.
>
>other than 5 MP...i don't see much difference except any
>system/hardware improvements since the 6490.
>
>any suggestions or thoughts??
>
>thanks!
>tw

SteveB

I've read 2 UK magazine reviews of the 7590 and they both heavily criticise
it for very slow operation., otherwise it's good.

"Mr. Cellophane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My first digital camera was a Kodak DC4800 3.2 mp which I loved.
> Great size, great pictures, no drawbacks that I could see. When I
> moved up, 3 yrs later, I bought the Kodak 6490. It had a real fault
> that I never experienced with the 4800 - shutter lag! The camera
> took too long to capture the frame after pressing the shutter release,
> and much, much too long to set up for the next shot. Unless the
> 7590's release & setup speeds have changed, I wouldn't recommend
> getting either of them. I sent the camera back & purchased a Minolta
> A2 which I am extremely happy with. The 7590 is now selling for
> around $499 on the internet, I paid $650 for the A2, so, while price
> is not really a problem for me, the difference is really minimal. I
> had paid $309 for the 6490, so the A2 was around 2x the cost, but
> it turns on instantly, has less than 1/2sec release lag, & instant
> recovery. Coupled with an anti shake mechanism and other features
> which are really super, I know that I will be satisfied for at least
> the next 2-3 years or so (until the next generation).
> Regards,
> APS
>

> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:36:51 -0500, GolfNut <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>fixing to buy a new digital camera. i have had my eye on buying the
>>6490...but now they came out with the 7590.
>>
>>other than 5 MP...i don't see much difference except any
>>system/hardware improvements since the 6490.
>>
>>any suggestions or thoughts??
>>
>>thanks!
>>tw

hfs2

I'd wager if you're a 6x4 guy - you won't even see the difference.

GolfNut <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> true...but worth the extra $100??
>
> tw
>
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 07:45:58 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >GolfNut wrote:
> >> fixing to buy a new digital camera. i have had my eye on buying the
> >> 6490...but now they came out with the 7590.
> >>
> >> other than 5 MP...i don't see much difference except any
> >> system/hardware improvements since the 6490.
> >>
> >> any suggestions or thoughts??
> >>
> >> thanks!
> >> tw

> >I think I would go with the later model. While 4/5mp isn't a great
> >leap, it will add a bit more flexibility to the post processing process.

hfs2

I was just looking at the specs....

I noticed that they have a 640x movie mode. I always had fun with
that with my 4330.

Another thing I noticed is tha it has a 'keep last' burst mode.
I can't imagine trying to catch something without last keep IF
you are restrictted to total shots taken. Letting up when
you "have it" has got to be 100 times better than shot when
you "think" you'll get it.

How can Kodak come up with neat stuff like this and ignore my
other brilliant suggestions!