Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Please help me choose a camera based on my 5 criteria...

Please help me choose a camera based on my 5 criteria...

Jeffrey Stetz

First, can you people PLEASE not get into fights? Every single thread
that I happened to have read had people bickering... ugh.

OK, now... I am totally lost in the world of digital cameras. Here's
what I want, and maybe you can recommend something to me...

1) Price range: $200-$400 if I go with a P&S, but anything more
expensive than that and I'll probably go for a Canon Digital Rebel
with their latest $100 rebate promotion. I will probably also sell my
old film Rebel on eBay.

2) Use: Casual photography, probably 50% indoors, 30% outdoors, 10%
nature, 10% low-light, (I would like to be able to have OK (if not
great) shots in low-light too)

3) Mode of use: I would *really* like to have it with me at all times,
so in that sense having a DRebel kinda destroys that option. However,
if I do buy a DRebel, I would probably also eventually buy a sub-$100
2 or 3 MP camera to have with me at all times for those "oh my God,
did you see that?" shots.

4) Picture use: 80% view/store on the computer, e-mail, playing with
Photoshop, etc, 20% print out (maybe).

5) Previous photography experience: 35mm film Canon Rebel with kit
lens. I used it for about 3 years with no photography experience and
thought its Auto mode was no better than any other P&S cameras, so for
a while I was disappointed. Then, about a year ago I started reading
usenet groups and found out that the problem is with the photographer
95% of the time So, I started learning all I could about its
different modes and their use, bought a tripod and a remote shutter
release and made some very nice photos (IMO), however I stopped
because I figured I'd rather "teach myself" with a digital camera
since it'll be *free* and I wouldn't have to pay $7 for every film I
botched... So that brings me here.

My concern about a D-Rebel is that it's too much for what I need. I
have always wanted the best equipment regardless of whether I could
make the best of it, but this time the price difference just may be
worth changing my mind on that...

Thanks.

GT40

On 16 Oct 2004 12:44:14 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jeffrey Stetz)
wrote:

>First, can you people PLEASE not get into fights? Every single thread
>that I happened to have read had people bickering... ugh.
>
>OK, now... I am totally lost in the world of digital cameras. Here's
>what I want, and maybe you can recommend something to me...
>
>1) Price range: $200-$400 if I go with a P&S, but anything more
>expensive than that and I'll probably go for a Canon Digital Rebel
>with their latest $100 rebate promotion. I will probably also sell my
>old film Rebel on eBay.

Canon Powershot S1 IS, Canon Powershot A95. Those aren't the only
cameras just a couple. Goto B&H Photos website, then you can do a
search.

>2) Use: Casual photography, probably 50% indoors, 30% outdoors, 10%
>nature, 10% low-light, (I would like to be able to have OK (if not
>great) shots in low-light too)

You have to define what low light means before you figure out what you
want.

>3) Mode of use: I would *really* like to have it with me at all times,
>so in that sense having a DRebel kinda destroys that option. However,
>if I do buy a DRebel, I would probably also eventually buy a sub-$100
>2 or 3 MP camera to have with me at all times for those "oh my God,
>did you see that?" shots.

For a real small camera look at the Digital Elph line (Canon)

>4) Picture use: 80% view/store on the computer, e-mail, playing with
>Photoshop, etc, 20% print out (maybe).

Print out at what size? For computer use 2MP is more than enough,
printing depends on size.

>5) Previous photography experience: 35mm film Canon Rebel with kit
>lens. I used it for about 3 years with no photography experience and
>thought its Auto mode was no better than any other P&S cameras, so for
>a while I was disappointed. Then, about a year ago I started reading
>usenet groups and found out that the problem is with the photographer
>95% of the time So, I started learning all I could about its
>different modes and their use, bought a tripod and a remote shutter
>release and made some very nice photos (IMO), however I stopped
>because I figured I'd rather "teach myself" with a digital camera
>since it'll be *free* and I wouldn't have to pay $7 for every film I
>botched... So that brings me here.

In this senerio, get the digital rebel, I think you can re-use all
your accesories with it (but check first). And get some books an
other instruction on photography.

>My concern about a D-Rebel is that it's too much for what I need. I
>have always wanted the best equipment regardless of whether I could
>make the best of it, but this time the price difference just may be
>worth changing my mind on that...

It depends on what you want to do with it, the digital rebel lets you
control the camera, rather than it doing all the work for you. If you
want to learn you need to look for a camera that you can override the
auto settings. If a DSLR is too big, look at the Canon G line which I
think is G6 now, or the Pro 1.

The cameras I metioned are all Canon, but Nikon and other companies
make similar products.

Charles Schuler

PowerShot S500 Digital Elph, 5.0 Megapixel or some such.

You really should spend some time reading reviews to get what you feel is
important.

Good luck!

Jeffrey Stetz

I did, and I am reading reviews... But it's just so damn confusing. The
worst part is that, with the exception of very few, any review you read on,
say, Amazon, or even professional reviews - like on dpreview, or steve's
digicams -- all rate most of today's cameras very highly. Most always rate
the picture quality as "high," and only negative points are usually battery
life or small lcd, or proprietary media or whatnot...

My current thoughts are along the lines of the Canon S series -- likely S50
or S60. However, once I pass the $400 mark, I want to get a Rebel, which can
be had for just a little more.

Now about those previous questions:

> You have to define what low light means before you figure out what you
> want.

Low-light -- say, lake at dusk, sunset, or the skyline of the city at night,
say, with exposure of a couple of seconds. Basically, the camera has to have
at least some manual settings, like aperture/shutter priority and, if not a
remote shutter release, at least a delay - so that I could set it on a
tripod, press the button and the camera would only start capturing after a
couple of seconds or so, to avoid shake.

> For a real small camera look at the Digital Elph line (Canon)

I was ready to buy a S410 because everyone raves about its pictures, but it
lacks any manual settings and its form factor and sex appeal is what raises
its price instead of real features of, say, S60, which costs probably the
same.

> Print out at what size? For computer use 2MP is more than enough,
> printing depends on size.

I would say 8x10 tops, but I don't want to limit myself if in the future I
have a simply amazing shot that I want to make a poster out of (yeah right).

> In this senerio, get the digital rebel, I think you can re-use all
> your accesories with it (but check first). And get some books an
> other instruction on photography.

I know I can use the kit lens that came with the film Rebel on the digital
one - that would save me another $150 or so, not buying the 18-55mm EF-S
lens. Are they at all comparable in quality? (I know, kit lenses are usually
considered junk, but cut me some slack).

> It depends on what you want to do with it, the digital rebel lets you
> control the camera, rather than it doing all the work for you. If you
> want to learn you need to look for a camera that you can override the
> auto settings. If a DSLR is too big, look at the Canon G line which I
> think is G6 now, or the Pro 1.

Canon G6 is way to expensive, and I would already go with the DSLR
instead...

GT40

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:28:38 GMT, "Jeffrey Stetz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> You have to define what low light means before you figure out what you
>> want.
>>

>Low-light -- say, lake at dusk, sunset, or the skyline of the city at night,
>say, with exposure of a couple of seconds. Basically, the camera has to have
>at least some manual settings, like aperture/shutter priority and, if not a
>remote shutter release, at least a delay - so that I could set it on a
>tripod, press the button and the camera would only start capturing after a
>couple of seconds or so, to avoid shake.

There aren't many digital cameras, even DSLR's that do as good as film
in low light with a 2 second time. That said, you need one that has
noise reduction for long exposure.

>> Print out at what size? For computer use 2MP is more than enough,
>> printing depends on size.

>I would say 8x10 tops, but I don't want to limit myself if in the future I
>have a simply amazing shot that I want to make a poster out of (yeah right).

8x10's can be done with a 2MP camera, but a lot of that depends on the
phsyical size of the sensor.

>> In this senerio, get the digital rebel, I think you can re-use all
>> your accesories with it (but check first). And get some books an
>> other instruction on photography.
>>

>I know I can use the kit lens that came with the film Rebel on the digital
>one - that would save me another $150 or so, not buying the 18-55mm EF-S
>lens. Are they at all comparable in quality? (I know, kit lenses are usually
>considered junk, but cut me some slack).

For what you seem to be doing the lens is fine.

>> It depends on what you want to do with it, the digital rebel lets you
>> control the camera, rather than it doing all the work for you. If you
>> want to learn you need to look for a camera that you can override the
>> auto settings. If a DSLR is too big, look at the Canon G line which I
>> think is G6 now, or the Pro 1.
>>

>Canon G6 is way to expensive, and I would already go with the DSLR
>instead...

Ok, based on all your needs, I think you are better off getting the
digital rebel.

Roland Karlsson

(E-Mail Removed) (Jeffrey Stetz) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> First, can you people PLEASE not get into fights? Every single thread
> that I happened to have read had people bickering... ugh.

You are probably reading the wrong threads then Or you
are very sensitive. I don't see all that much fights here.
Hint: not all discussions can be considered fighting.

Now - back to the topic.

For some reason I end up looking at Canon cameras when it
comes to compact P&S. S1 IS, G6, G5, S70, S60, A95, ...
They have a very large assortment of nice thingies.
The Panasonic DMC-FZ20 alos look nice. The Nikon compact
thingieas only look strange IMHO today. I also have lost track
of the Olympus ones. The Oly C-8080 looks nice though.

But - nothing beats a good SLR.

/Roland

Nick Withers

Yes, I think that the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZZ20 looks good.
5mps, 12X optical zoom and a very good Leica lens.
I intend to upgrade to that camera. There is little wrong with my
DMC-LC43 4mps 3X zoom except that there is no manual control of aperture
or shutter speed. The images are brilliant for 6in x 4in and good even
enlarged to A4 size.
My opinion is go with Panasonic.

Roland Karlsson wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (Jeffrey Stetz) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om:
>

>>First, can you people PLEASE not get into fights? Every single thread
>>that I happened to have read had people bickering... ugh.

> You are probably reading the wrong threads then Or you
> are very sensitive. I don't see all that much fights here.
> Hint: not all discussions can be considered fighting.
>
> Now - back to the topic.
>
> For some reason I end up looking at Canon cameras when it
> comes to compact P&S. S1 IS, G6, G5, S70, S60, A95, ...
> They have a very large assortment of nice thingies.
> The Panasonic DMC-FZ20 alos look nice. The Nikon compact
> thingieas only look strange IMHO today. I also have lost track
> of the Olympus ones. The Oly C-8080 looks nice though.
>
> But - nothing beats a good SLR.
>

> /Roland

Jeffrey Stetz

All right...

I decided to buy the Canon A75 based on the fact that spending $150 on
it will not break the bank, it's gotten great reviews, and the fact
that it has manual controls.

What I'm thinking is that I will see how all this goes, will play with
it, with its manual controls, get the feel for it all, and most
importantly, have a camera Now, when I want it.

I have learned that a good photographer will do well with any
half-decent camera, whereas give a bad photographer a top of the line
SLR and the pictures will still be crap. So for now I think I can
learn and learn and when I feel that I want more, I can go for the
Rebel, and keep the A75 as a toy to just carry around.

Please give me feedback on my reasoning - am I right, or trying to
convince myself of something? Thanks