Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Recomment an ultra-compact

Recomment an ultra-compact

Eugene

I've been searching different review/comparison sites and can't find exactly
what I want. We have a higher end old HP digicam that still works great
and takes great quality pictures but its big and heavy and sucks batteries.
I'm looking for something small to supplement it and but would like to stay
with AA's and CF. It seems all the small ones either take a propritary
battery or some other soft of memory. I wanted to stay with AA batteries
and CF memory since I already have plenty of each. I know its asking a lot
which is probably why I haven't found any yet. Anyone else know of any?

Bob Williams

Eugene wrote:
> I've been searching different review/comparison sites and can't find exactly
> what I want. We have a higher end old HP digicam that still works great
> and takes great quality pictures but its big and heavy and sucks batteries.
> I'm looking for something small to supplement it and but would like to stay
> with AA's and CF. It seems all the small ones either take a propritary
> battery or some other soft of memory. I wanted to stay with AA batteries
> and CF memory since I already have plenty of each. I know its asking a lot
> which is probably why I haven't found any yet. Anyone else know of any?

You want Ultra Compact AND AA batteries (long life) AND a CF card.
I don't think ULTRA compact is compatible with 4AA batteries and you
just can't get very long life out of 2 AAs.
The fact that you have $10 worth of AAs should NOT be a determining
factor in choosing a new camera.
Proprietary batteries are typically Li Ion rechargeable type and they
pack a lot of energy into a tiny package.
Revisit the Canon S410 at:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...410.html#specs
Bob Williams
Bob williams

Eugene

Bob Williams wrote:

> Eugene wrote:
>> I've been searching different review/comparison sites and can't find
>> exactly
>> what I want. We have a higher end old HP digicam that still works great
>> and takes great quality pictures but its big and heavy and sucks
>> batteries. I'm looking for something small to supplement it and but would
>> like to stay
>> with AA's and CF. It seems all the small ones either take a propritary
>> battery or some other soft of memory. I wanted to stay with AA batteries
>> and CF memory since I already have plenty of each. I know its asking a
>> lot
>> which is probably why I haven't found any yet. Anyone else know of any?

> You want Ultra Compact AND AA batteries (long life) AND a CF card.
> I don't think ULTRA compact is compatible with 4AA batteries and you
> just can't get very long life out of 2 AAs.
> The fact that you have $10 worth of AAs should NOT be a determining
> factor in choosing a new camera.
> Proprietary batteries are typically Li Ion rechargeable type and they
> pack a lot of energy into a tiny package.
> Revisit the Canon S410 at:
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...410.html#specs
> Bob Williams
> Bob williams

I have more than $10 in AA's, probably hundreds in batteries and home
changers and travel chargers and vehicle chargers, etc.
Doesn't necessarily need to ne ultra compact, I'm just looking for the
smallest that I can use all my existing gear with that will fit in my
wife's purse easily.

Eugene

Nostrobino wrote:

> "Eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've been searching different review/comparison sites and can't find
>> exactly
>> what I want. We have a higher end old HP digicam that still works great
>> and takes great quality pictures but its big and heavy and sucks
>> batteries.

> Digital cameras all suck batteries, and pretty thirstily too, though maybe
> not as thirstily as your old HP.
>

>> I'm looking for something small to supplement it and but would like to
>> stay
>> with AA's and CF. It seems all the small ones either take a propritary
>> battery or some other soft of memory. I wanted to stay with AA batteries
>> and CF memory since I already have plenty of each. I know its asking a
>> lot
>> which is probably why I haven't found any yet. Anyone else know of any?

> No. You're not going to find any ultracompact cameras that use CF cards.
> The card is just too large.
>
> Look for cameras that use SD cards instead. Prices on these cards have
> been falling steadily and there are plenty of rebates offered fairly
> regularly. Checking www.buy.com just now I see that they're selling Viking
> 256MB SD cards for $28.56 with free shipping, AND a $15 rebate on top of
> that. When you can get 256 megs for $13.56, why even think of buying a
> camera to fit your old memory? They have lots of other good prices too.
> And Buy.com is very good and reliable to deal with, by the way.
>
> If you want an ultracompact camera that uses your AA batteries, check out
> the Minolta (now Konica Minolta) X20 and X31 models. I prefer (and own)
> the Minolta Xt and Xg models myself, but these take lithium ion
> rechargeable batteries.
>
> N.

I found a few that were listed as ultra-compact that used CF but they had
propritary batteries. Then found some with AA's that use SD. My reason
for wanting both is I have dozens of CF cards, and lots of AA's and home
chargers, travel chargers, and vehicle chargers. I don't want to have to
for the smallest camera that will use AA's and CF.

Nostrobino

Nostrobino wrote:

> "Eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Nostrobino wrote:
>>

>>> "Eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Digital cameras all suck batteries, and pretty thirstily too, though
>>> maybe
>>> not as thirstily as your old HP.

>>> No. You're not going to find any ultracompact cameras that use CF cards.
>>> The card is just too large.
>>>
>>> Look for cameras that use SD cards instead. Prices on these cards have
>>> been falling steadily and there are plenty of rebates offered fairly
>>> regularly. Checking www.buy.com just now I see that they're selling
>>> Viking
>>> 256MB SD cards for $28.56 with free shipping, AND a $15 rebate on top of
>>> that. When you can get 256 megs for $13.56, why even think of buying a
>>> camera to fit your old memory? They have lots of other good prices too.
>>> And Buy.com is very good and reliable to deal with, by the way.
>>>
>>> If you want an ultracompact camera that uses your AA batteries, check
>>> out the Minolta (now Konica Minolta) X20 and X31 models. I prefer (and
>>> own) the Minolta Xt and Xg models myself, but these take lithium ion
>>> rechargeable batteries.
>>>
>>> N.

>> I found a few that were listed as ultra-compact that used CF but they had

> Eugene, just out of curiosity, what cameras are those? I honestly cannot
> imagine any real ultracompact using CF cards.

First google hit led me to this site
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
I wanted small so I choose ultra compact and was given a few cannon's some
with SD and some with CF but all with propritary batteries. So I don't
know if they are really ultra compact (I don't know the exact criteria for
that designation) but that doesn't really matter, I just want to find small
with CF and AA.

>> propritary batteries. Then found some with AA's that use SD. My reason
>> for wanting both is I have dozens of CF cards, and lots of AA's and home
>> chargers, travel chargers, and vehicle chargers. I don't want to have to
>> for the smallest camera that will use AA's and CF.

> I use both types of card myself. My Minolta 7i, 7Hi and S414 (and a couple
> older models that I still have) use CF. My Xt, Xg and F300s use SD. I
> believe that both these types of memory are going to remain popular
> forever (or at least for a very long time), unlike some others now on the
> market. As you have dozens of CF cards I can understand your wanting a
> camera that can use them. I would too, especially if the cards were fairly
> large capacity. If you don't intend to keep your old HP, there are of
> course plenty of new models that use the CF memory--I just don't know of
> any that could reasonably be called ultracompact.

That was my reason for wanting to keep with CF and AA's I still want to keep
the HP for around the house work where I can take a few pics on batteries
or run from the AC adapter. The old HP has a 37mm ring on the lense which
I have a few different lenses for so I can do real close up work and such.
Even though its "only" a 2MP the pictures it takes you can't tell from a
higher MP camera. IIRC one of its selling points is that it has a couple
more bits color depth than the average 2MP.

> I fully agree with you about the AA batteries, chargers etc. I have lots
> of these myself and generally that is a factor for me also when buying a
> new camera. My two Minolta ultracompacts that use Li-ion batteries are
> exceptions, but these cameras are so appealing I'm willing to bend the
> rule.
>
> N.

This is going to mainly be for my wife who likes to look at the LCD which
kills the HP's batteries in no time but she is bad about keeping her
batteries charged so She has to have a cell phone charger in the car, etc.
I wanted to stay with AA's so I could just give her a couple lithium AA's
to remain in the camera and they will be charged when she needs them, then
when we take a planned trip somewhere I have all the rechargeable's topped
off and ready or recharge them on the way in the vehicle charger. The
problem we run into with the HP is grabbing it for a random shot or two the
NiMH self discharge is enough to trigger the hp's low battery warning after
just sitting a week (its real sensitive).
I suppose I could find an AA powered and just buy her a few SD cards but
that makes one more thing for her to keep track of, if I can use CF then I
can just leave one in her camera and keep the rest organized.

Nostrobino

> [...]

older models that I still have) use CF. My Xt, Xg and F300s use SD. I
believe that both these types of memory are going to remain popular forever
(or at least for a very long time), unlike some others now on the market. As
you have dozens of CF cards I can understand your wanting a camera that can
use them. I would too, especially if the cards were fairly large capacity.
If you don't intend to keep your old HP, there are of course plenty of new
models that use the CF memory--I just don't know of any that could
reasonably be called ultracompact.

I fully agree with you about the AA batteries, chargers etc. I have lots of
these myself and generally that is a factor for me also when buying a new
camera. My two Minolta ultracompacts that use Li-ion batteries are
exceptions, but these cameras are so appealing I'm willing to bend the rule.

Dave Martindale

>That was my reason for wanting to keep with CF and AA's I still want to keep
>the HP for around the house work where I can take a few pics on batteries
>or run from the AC adapter. The old HP has a 37mm ring on the lense which
>I have a few different lenses for so I can do real close up work and such.
>Even though its "only" a 2MP the pictures it takes you can't tell from a
>higher MP camera. IIRC one of its selling points is that it has a couple
>more bits color depth than the average 2MP.

Take a look at the Canon A80 and A95. They're 4 and 5 MP, and they take
AA batteries and CF memory. Though not ultracompact, they're not *that*
much larger. There's a flip-out LCD that's very useful in some
circumstances. You can also get an accessory filter mount tube and,
although it's not 37 mm, you can get a 52->37 mm adapter ring to mount
your existing closeup lenses.

Dave

Nostrobino

"Eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nostrobino wrote:

[ . . . ]

>> Eugene, just out of curiosity, what cameras are those? I honestly cannot
>> imagine any real ultracompact using CF cards.
>>

> First google hit led me to this site
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

Thanks, that's very interesting. I'm surprised there are any at all, but
then I'm not very familiar with brands other than Minolta.

> I wanted small so I choose ultra compact and was given a few cannon's some
> with SD and some with CF but all with propritary batteries. So I don't
> know if they are really ultra compact (I don't know the exact criteria for
> that designation) but that doesn't really matter, I just want to find
> small
> with CF and AA.

I notice there are three Pentax Optio models (33L, 330GS and 230) on that
site that use CF and AA batteries. While they are slightly larger than what
I would call ultracompact (there aren't any definite criteria for
"ultracompact" as far as I know) they are still pretty darn small, and one
of those I should think would be just what you're looking for.

The 33L appears to be the newest of the Optio cameras that still use the CF
card. There's a thorough review of the 33L here:
http://steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/optio33l.html

>>> propritary batteries. Then found some with AA's that use SD. My reason
>>> for wanting both is I have dozens of CF cards, and lots of AA's and home
>>> chargers, travel chargers, and vehicle chargers. I don't want to have
>>> looking
>>> for the smallest camera that will use AA's and CF.

>> I use both types of card myself. My Minolta 7i, 7Hi and S414 (and a
>> couple
>> older models that I still have) use CF. My Xt, Xg and F300s use SD. I
>> believe that both these types of memory are going to remain popular
>> forever (or at least for a very long time), unlike some others now on the
>> market. As you have dozens of CF cards I can understand your wanting a
>> camera that can use them. I would too, especially if the cards were
>> fairly
>> large capacity. If you don't intend to keep your old HP, there are of
>> course plenty of new models that use the CF memory--I just don't know of
>> any that could reasonably be called ultracompact.
>>

> That was my reason for wanting to keep with CF and AA's I still want to
> keep
> the HP for around the house work where I can take a few pics on batteries
> or run from the AC adapter. The old HP has a 37mm ring on the lense which
> I have a few different lenses for so I can do real close up work and such.
> Even though its "only" a 2MP the pictures it takes you can't tell from a
> higher MP camera. IIRC one of its selling points is that it has a couple
> more bits color depth than the average 2MP.
>
>> I fully agree with you about the AA batteries, chargers etc. I have lots
>> of these myself and generally that is a factor for me also when buying a
>> new camera. My two Minolta ultracompacts that use Li-ion batteries are
>> exceptions, but these cameras are so appealing I'm willing to bend the
>> rule.
>>
>> N.

> This is going to mainly be for my wife who likes to look at the LCD which
> kills the HP's batteries in no time but she is bad about keeping her
> batteries charged so She has to have a cell phone charger in the car, etc.
> I wanted to stay with AA's so I could just give her a couple lithium AA's
> to remain in the camera and they will be charged when she needs them, then
> when we take a planned trip somewhere I have all the rechargeable's topped
> off and ready or recharge them on the way in the vehicle charger. The
> problem we run into with the HP is grabbing it for a random shot or two
> the
> NiMH self discharge is enough to trigger the hp's low battery warning
> after
> just sitting a week (its real sensitive).
> I suppose I could find an AA powered and just buy her a few SD cards but
> that makes one more thing for her to keep track of, if I can use CF then I
> can just leave one in her camera and keep the rest organized.

That all makes sense. Do take a look at the Optio 33L if you haven't
already. Steve gives it a very good review and it has some intriguing
features that I haven't seen on that small a camera. And it should suit your
wife who likes to look at the LCD, because this is one of those few cameras
that ONLY has an LCD, no optical viewfinder. According to Steve's site the
33L is only $189.88 at Amazon.com--that's pretty hard to beat, and Amazon
usually gives free shipping with anything they sell over $100 too.

N.

Clyde

I love my Canon SD-10 ultra-compact. It's small, tough, 4MP, sharp lens,
fairly fast lens, easy to use, and takes great pictures. OK, it
doesn't have a zoom lens, but I just move my feet. It captures only
JPEG, but the Sfine is pretty good on it.

It's not the camera I use at weddings, but for having something with me
at all times, it's pretty darn good.

Clyde