Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Web based album

Web based album

Sherry

Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I just scanned through
several hundred messages on this group and didn't see an answer so I'm
asking again.

We just got back from a marvelous cruise in the Caribbean and have
several hundred digital shots I want to share with friends. Could
someone recommend a reliable site where I could upload them to for
protected viewing? I'm not sure that I want them to be accessible to
the general public.

I tried one site and after linking 10 pics (all you can do at a time -
sending them all up could take awhile!) and clicked on "upload", I got
an error message. Didn't feel like trying that again.

Any recommendations welcome. I tried doing a google search but probably
wasn't thinking the same way they were because all I could find was
software...

Thanks,
Sherry

Frank ess

Sherry wrote:
> Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I just scanned through
> several hundred messages on this group and didn't see an answer so I'm
> asking again.
>
> We just got back from a marvelous cruise in the Caribbean and have
> several hundred digital shots I want to share with friends. Could
> someone recommend a reliable site where I could upload them to for
> protected viewing? I'm not sure that I want them to be accessible to
> the general public.
>
> I tried one site and after linking 10 pics (all you can do at a time -
> sending them all up could take awhile!) and clicked on "upload", I got
> an error message. Didn't feel like trying that again.
>
> Any recommendations welcome. I tried doing a google search but
> probably wasn't thinking the same way they were because all I could
> find was software...
>
> Thanks,
> Sherry

FotoTime.com

You could probably squeeze your exhibition into the 30-day free trial,
and if you like it, it's about two bucks a month paid in advance for
250MB.

I have more than 5,000 images there for viewing and as source storage
for Web site links.

I can supply a URL for any individual image at three sizes (thumbnail,
standard, original) or any group of images (album), or any number of
designated albums. Visitors do not have access to images or albums you
do not choose to reveal.

Plenty of caption capability, including album headers, that will accept
some html language. I haven't explored any other avenue for profile
exhibition.

FotoTimie offers an image management program that has been praised, but
I just ftp through the drag-and-drop upload facility from Windows.

Costs about $2.00 US per month, payable yearly in advance, for 250 MB of
space, 10X space bandwidth per month. My 5,000 images take up about 400
of my 500 MB space (250 MB chunks may be added at the same yearly rate).

For another ~$19.00 US per year, they will host your videos, and display
them to visitors in either the native format or their converted mode,
which seems to work fine.

They are very quick and accurate in response to technical questions, and
have in my experience almost no down-time.

No commercial connection with FotoTime, just a two-year satisfied user.

--
Frank ess

Jer

Sherry wrote:

> Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I just scanned through
> several hundred messages on this group and didn't see an answer so I'm
> asking again.
>
> We just got back from a marvelous cruise in the Caribbean and have
> several hundred digital shots I want to share with friends.

Didja manage to get a night shot while they were flushing the bilge?
It's easy to know because of the oil slick trailing behind the boat for
about a hundred miles or so.

> Could
> someone recommend a reliable site where I could upload them to for
> protected viewing? I'm not sure that I want them to be accessible to
> the general public.

Don't want your other boyfriends to know, huh? It's okay, I understand.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Buster

MSN Premium does this. It creates an email of thumbnails and uploads the
full images online. You can view as a slideshow or download the full images
locally. I really like it - good interface.
I think you can get a 3 month trial of MSN Premium but it requires a credit
card.

"Sherry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9583896D75BB5TansyRagwortNetscape@130.133. 1.4...
> Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I just scanned through
> several hundred messages on this group and didn't see an answer so I'm
> asking again.
>
> We just got back from a marvelous cruise in the Caribbean and have
> several hundred digital shots I want to share with friends. Could
> someone recommend a reliable site where I could upload them to for
> protected viewing? I'm not sure that I want them to be accessible to
> the general public.
>
> I tried one site and after linking 10 pics (all you can do at a time -
> sending them all up could take awhile!) and clicked on "upload", I got
> an error message. Didn't feel like trying that again.
>
> Any recommendations welcome. I tried doing a google search but probably
> wasn't thinking the same way they were because all I could find was
> software...
>
> Thanks,
> Sherry

Sherry

Jer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ckpheg$(E-Mail Removed):

> Sherry wrote:

<snip>
>> We just got back from a marvelous cruise in the Caribbean and have
>> several hundred digital shots I want to share with friends.

> Didja manage to get a night shot while they were flushing the bilge?
> It's easy to know because of the oil slick trailing behind the boat
> for about a hundred miles or so.

Actually, I did. It was just gorgeous - the moonlight reflecting off the
sheen is a sight to behold

>> Could
>> someone recommend a reliable site where I could upload them to for
>> protected viewing? I'm not sure that I want them to be accessible
>> to the general public.

> Don't want your other boyfriends to know, huh? It's okay, I
> understand.

They were all on the cruise with me and my family.

Sherry

"Buster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> MSN Premium does this. It creates an email of thumbnails and uploads
> the full images online. You can view as a slideshow or download the
> full images locally. I really like it - good interface.
> I think you can get a 3 month trial of MSN Premium but it requires a
> credit card.

Thanks, but I don't see the reason for giving a credit card number out
for a free trial other than they hope you forget to cancel before the
time is up. Besides, I really don't need all the other features it
offers - great deal if it's something a person can use!

I did find a great freeware web page generator program and found web
hosting for a lot less per month and more storage space than the MSN
site charges. I think I'll go that direction. Gotta keep the cost
down until hubby gets a job.....

I tried uploading pics again to the site where I got the error message
and got the message again.

Sherry

Sherry

"Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

<snip>
> FotoTime.com
>
> You could probably squeeze your exhibition into the 30-day free
> trial, and if you like it, it's about two bucks a month paid in
> advance for 250MB.
>
> --
> Frank ess

Thanks Frank. Does the actual site move faster than the demo? Or
maybe I was just hitting the server at a busy time (I have 768MB DSL)

Sherry

Ryadia

Sherry wrote:

> Thanks, but I don't see the reason for giving a credit card number out
> for a free trial other than they hope you forget to cancel before the
> time is up. Besides, I really don't need all the other features it
> offers - great deal if it's something a person can use!
>
> I did find a great freeware web page generator program and found web
> hosting for a lot less per month and more storage space than the MSN
> site charges. I think I'll go that direction. Gotta keep the cost
> down until hubby gets a job.....
>
> I tried uploading pics again to the site where I got the error message
> and got the message again.
>

> Sherry

So the alternative is to use the free web space your ISP gives you and
use a program like Gallery Constructor to make a gallery and upload it
to your ISP. No security but hey... It's free!

Ryadia

Tripmonkey (UK)

This is quite good software for posting photos on your free webspace
http://jalbum.net/
It's free too which is always a bonus
Its got ftp software built in for automatic uploading but I've never
been able to make it work right. Somebody else might have more luck.

Ryadia wrote:
> Sherry wrote:
>

>> Thanks, but I don't see the reason for giving a credit card number out
>> for a free trial other than they hope you forget to cancel before the
>> time is up. Besides, I really don't need all the other features it
>> offers - great deal if it's something a person can use!
>>
>> I did find a great freeware web page generator program and found web
>> hosting for a lot less per month and more storage space than the MSN
>> site charges. I think I'll go that direction. Gotta keep the cost
>> down until hubby gets a job.....
>>
>> I tried uploading pics again to the site where I got the error message
>> and got the message again.
>>

>> Sherry

> So the alternative is to use the free web space your ISP gives you and
> use a program like Gallery Constructor to make a gallery and upload it
> to your ISP. No security but hey... It's free!
>
> Ryadia

Frank ess

"Sherry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9585616E733EATansyRagwortNetscape@130.133. 1.4...
> "Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news(E-Mail Removed):
>
> <snip>
>> FotoTime.com
>>
>> You could probably squeeze your exhibition into the 30-day free
>> trial, and if you like it, it's about two bucks a month paid in
>> advance for 250MB.
>>
>> --
>> Frank ess

> Thanks Frank. Does the actual site move faster than the demo? Or
> maybe I was just hitting the server at a busy time (I have 768MB DSL)
>
> Sherry

You're welcome, Sherry.

I think FotoTime is a little pokey compared to others. It would be
perfect if they could find a way to speed it up. Thinking along that
line, have you looked at the Epson show-your-pictures site? I remember
it as very quick.

--
Frank ess

web album with mpg Ale HTML 4 09-03-2005 05:50 PM
Try DVD Photo Album version 3.01 to make digital photo album playable on TV with DVD player Michael Shaw Digital Photography 1 09-24-2004 09:10 AM
XML based language for defining web based user interfaces Christofer Dutz XML 3 12-09-2003 12:10 PM
Web photo album with mutiple resolutions? Bruce Chastain HTML 6 10-27-2003 04:13 PM
Re: python based tools for developing web-based apps Alex Martelli Python 0 08-18-2003 12:26 PM

Advertisments