Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 80X Write Acceleration - is it worth it with a Canon G5?

80X Write Acceleration - is it worth it with a Canon G5?

Al B. Knees

Does the Canon G5 support using CF with Write-Acceleration. Will the
performance be significantly different if I use a CF with 80X
Write-accel versus a 40X WA (or a just 'regular' CF)? Thanks / Al

Bill Hilton

>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Al B. Knees)

>Does the Canon G5 support using CF with Write-Acceleration. Will the
>performance be significantly different if I use a CF with 80X
>Write-accel versus a 40X WA (or a just 'regular' CF)? Thanks / Al

I doubt it, though I've never used a G5 ... basically once you reach a certain
speed of card it's waiting around for the camera, so increasing the card speed
significantly doesn't give you a corrresponding jump in write speed.

I say this because I tested several different Lexar and SanDisk cards on my
Canon 1D Mark II (which is a pretty fast camera) and saw very little difference
between three Lexars (32x, 40x, 80x) the the two SanDisks (Ultra and Extreme,
both 66x). Here are the actual measured times for about a 115 MB transfer
(ie, bursted 20 RAW shots at 8 frames/sec and waited for them to finish writing
to the card) ...

23.4X Lexar 32x (X => 150 KB/sec)
24.1X Lexar 40x w/ WA
24.7X SanDisk Extreme (66x rating)
25.1X SanDisk Ultra (66x rating)
25.3X Lexar 80x w/ WA

So doubling the card speed (Lexar 40x -> Lexar 80x) gave me about a 5% increase
in actual write performance, because the cards are all pretty much idling and
waiting for the camera. I'm pretty sure you'll see something similar with the
G5. It's easy to get really slow cards (4x, 12x?) that are too slow for the
camera but at 40x and 80x that isn't the case.

Bill

Jim Townsend

Al B. Knees wrote:

> Does the Canon G5 support using CF with Write-Acceleration. Will the
> performance be significantly different if I use a CF with 80X
> Write-accel versus a 40X WA (or a just 'regular' CF)? Thanks / Al

The G5 can't use the write acceleration feature.

As far as the need for speed goes...

When you shoot, the images are first written to a high speed buffer
in the camera. After they're stored in the buffer, they get transferred
to the CF card. The internal buffer memory is much faster than any
CF card.

If you shoot many shots in quick succession, at some point the
buffer will become full. (The number of shots varies by camera
and image size/quality). When this happens, you can't shoot again
until the buffer empties.

High speed cards allow the buffer to empty faster. As a result you
have less of a wait until you can shoot again. There *is* a noticeable
difference between a 40X card and a 1X card. Less waiting means less chance
of missing a shot.

If you're just taking one or two shots here and there, you won't see any
difference at all between an ultra high speed card or a slow one.

You *might* see faster transfers from the camera to the computer..

Rick

"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Al B. Knees wrote:
>
> > Does the Canon G5 support using CF with Write-Acceleration. Will the
> > performance be significantly different if I use a CF with 80X
> > Write-accel versus a 40X WA (or a just 'regular' CF)? Thanks / Al

> The G5 can't use the write acceleration feature.

Correct. No Canon models use it.

> As far as the need for speed goes...
>
> When you shoot, the images are first written to a high speed buffer
> in the camera. After they're stored in the buffer, they get transferred
> to the CF card. The internal buffer memory is much faster than any
> CF card.
>
> If you shoot many shots in quick succession, at some point the
> buffer will become full. (The number of shots varies by camera
> and image size/quality). When this happens, you can't shoot again
> until the buffer empties.
>
> High speed cards allow the buffer to empty faster. As a result you
> have less of a wait until you can shoot again. There *is* a noticeable
> difference between a 40X card and a 1X card. Less waiting means less chance
> of missing a shot.
>
> If you're just taking one or two shots here and there, you won't see any
> difference at all between an ultra high speed card or a slow one.

That is probably untrue. You'll see benefits one way or the
other, whether it's in time between images while in review
mode, or in formatting times etc.

> You *might* see faster transfers from the camera to the computer..

Absolutely true, especially if you're using a USB2.0 reader.

Rick

zeitgeist

no

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...