Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Flash bulbs?

Flash bulbs?

Martin Lynch

What kind of bulb is used on the built-in flashes for most standard
cameras?

Just wondering, cuz the bulbs are BUILT IN, which means you have to
just hope they never blow out for the life of the camera? How many
flashes are they usually rated to?

Charles Schuler

"Martin Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> What kind of bulb is used on the built-in flashes for most standard
> cameras?
>
> Just wondering, cuz the bulbs are BUILT IN, which means you have to
> just hope they never blow out for the life of the camera? How many
> flashes are they usually rated to?

Some info here: http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/sam/strbfaq.htm

George

"Martin Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> What kind of bulb is used on the built-in flashes for most standard
> cameras?
>
> Just wondering, cuz the bulbs are BUILT IN, which means you have to
> just hope they never blow out for the life of the camera? How many
> flashes are they usually rated to?

First, on terminology...the reusable ones (electronic flashes) are referred
to as
flash tubes (specifically, they are xenon flash tubes with xenon being a
noble gas).
I don't know what the usual life is (I suspect hundred of thousands or even
millions
of flashes...the capacitors go bad far sooner than any flash tube I've ever
seen...I
even have a 31 year old one still working fine with original tube and
capacitor and
it has seen use on Nikon F, F2, FM, FM2n, N8008, and D70 with each camera
being purchased new while in production. Should it ever go out, xenon flash
tube
manufacturers can be readily found in the Thomas Register and companies like
bulbman.com carry them.

I would worry more about how long I'd last rather than the flash tube... <g>

George

Can I make a Flash Object a live link using html instead of flash? johnsonholding@yahoo.com HTML 8 02-09-2012 05:33 AM
Another flash question - jpegs in flash movie acting oddly. Jim Higson HTML 1 09-21-2004 10:38 PM
flash problem, session id not consistent when using flash with query stirng parameters Bernie ASP .Net 0 09-05-2004 05:28 AM
Is Flash Flash? Targa Cisco 1 11-25-2003 03:34 PM
Why not a Flash -> flash device? Shaw Goh \(NetPlus Micro Computers\) Digital Photography 0 07-16-2003 09:57 AM

Advertisments