Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon THM files

Canon THM files

Roy Gordon

I inadvertently put my Canon S400 into movie mode, producing some
interesting shots.

Two files were produced: an AVI file and a THM file. What's a THM. I
couldn't find it in the manual. Is it a thumbnail? If so, how can I open
it? Photoshop wouldn't recognize it.

2nd question: how can I edit the AVI files. They're already on the computer
and not on the card anymore. Do I need to buy/acquire a video editing
program?

If so, any suggestions for a free or inexpensive one. My needs are minimal.

TIA.

Roy

Mark B.

"Roy Gordon" <royg_XOUT@sonic_xout.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95821BFFFD35roygsonicnet@208.201.224.154.. .
>I inadvertently put my Canon S400 into movie mode, producing some
> interesting shots.
>
> Two files were produced: an AVI file and a THM file. What's a THM. I
> couldn't find it in the manual. Is it a thumbnail? If so, how can I open
> it? Photoshop wouldn't recognize it.
>
> 2nd question: how can I edit the AVI files. They're already on the
> computer
> and not on the card anymore. Do I need to buy/acquire a video editing
> program?
>
> If so, any suggestions for a free or inexpensive one. My needs are
> minimal.
>
> TIA.
>
> Roy

Yes, it's a thumbnail. Change the extension to .jpg and Photoshop can open
it. And yes, you need video editing software for the avi files. Not sure
of any free ones.

Mark

Chuck

there is a registry modification that let you see the .thm file in the
windows explorer (like a jpg thumnail). Search the web , you will find it
easily.

"Roy Gordon" <royg_XOUT@sonic_xout.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:Xns95821BFFFD35roygsonicnet@208.201.224.154.. .
> I inadvertently put my Canon S400 into movie mode, producing some
> interesting shots.
>
> Two files were produced: an AVI file and a THM file. What's a THM. I
> couldn't find it in the manual. Is it a thumbnail? If so, how can I open
> it? Photoshop wouldn't recognize it.
>
> 2nd question: how can I edit the AVI files. They're already on the

computer
> and not on the card anymore. Do I need to buy/acquire a video editing
> program?
>
> If so, any suggestions for a free or inexpensive one. My needs are

minimal.

> TIA.
>
> Roy

Mike Brodbelt

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 06:52:18 -0400, Mark B. wrote:

> Yes, it's a thumbnail. Change the extension to .jpg and Photoshop can
> open it. And yes, you need video editing software for the avi files. Not
> sure of any free ones.

VirtualDub - http://www.virtualdub.org/.

Mike.