Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Grey market stores in NY for Canon 300D

Grey market stores in NY for Canon 300D

Siddhartha Jain

Hey,

I saw some postings on the net that people have managed to buy the
Canon 300D body only for as low as $560 from somewhere called Cord
Camera in Ohio. Apparently there are these grey market stores in NY as
well. I have a cousin who stays in NY (I am in India) and is returning
in november end. I am aware that grey market carries no warranty but
for me, in India, US warranty is as good as no warranty. So if someone
knows where these stores are, I can ask my cousin to go and check if
the deal is really ok.

Otherwise, I can always order from B&H or Beachcamera or Adorama.
Interestingly, AbesofMaine is offering a $100 manufacturer's rebate on
the 300D. If its a manufacturer's rebate, shouldn't all shops be
offering it? Again, I am aware that AbesofMaine ratings aren't too high
but they aren't too low either (www.resellerratings.com)
Thanks,

Siddhartha

BandHPhoto

<I am aware that grey market carries no warranty but for me, in India, US
warranty is as good as no warranty.>

If the camera has a manufacturer's US warranty, it is NOT "grey market."
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Rudi Cheow

> If the camera has a manufacturer's
> US warranty, it is NOT "grey market."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the OP's point was that a
warranty that isn't valid in India means nothing to him. So if given
the choice between a 300D with a manufacturer's US warranty
(regardless of source), and a cheaper 300D without any warranty
whatsoever, it would make more sense for him to go for the latter.

Of course the legitimacy of 300Ds without any warranties is
questionable (stolen? refurbished? returned?), but that is a different
conversation.

Nobody is disputing the definition of "grey market".