Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is Camera Theft from Luggage Common ?

Reply
Thread Tools

Is Camera Theft from Luggage Common ?

 
 
Mick Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2004
I also travel a lot, you really have 2 options here:

1. Carry your bag with you (best option) get a bag that takes laptop and
camera, I would sacrifice my briefcase before my camera gear anyday, or even
get a laptop bag that doubles as a briefcase, then you can carry the camera
bag, and laptop bag;

2. Get a hard case camera bag that locks with a pad lock (real padlock not
one of this tiny toy ones) and make sure its insured, that way it can travel
in the luggage and the only thing you have to worry about is if the whole
bag goes missing. If you find the lock broken off, then no self respecting
air line will blow you off I wouldnt think.


--
Michael Brown
Melbourne Australia
www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown


"Magnusfarce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I travel a bit and am about to come into possession of a relatively
> expensive camera. Because DSLR's are a bit bulky, I would need to pack

the
> camera in luggage rather than carry it on board (my briefcase, laptop, and
> such maintain top priority as carryons). Even with current, stringent
> luggage inspection requirements, I've not had any theft-from-luggage
> problems in my travels. However, I've rarely kept such a juicy target in

my
> bags. What are people's experiences with the safety of their cameras in
> checked luggage? (I'm talking about domestic, here. International travel
> is a separate matter.)
>
> - Magnusfarce
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
PTravel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2004

"Mick Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:25ibd.24645$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I also travel a lot, you really have 2 options here:
>
> 1. Carry your bag with you (best option) get a bag that takes laptop and
> camera, I would sacrifice my briefcase before my camera gear anyday, or

even
> get a laptop bag that doubles as a briefcase, then you can carry the

camera
> bag, and laptop bag;
>
> 2. Get a hard case camera bag that locks with a pad lock (real padlock not
> one of this tiny toy ones) and make sure its insured, that way it can

travel
> in the luggage and the only thing you have to worry about is if the whole
> bag goes missing. If you find the lock broken off, then no self

respecting
> air line will blow you off I wouldnt think.


If the OP is travelling through an airport in the US, TSA will cut the lock
off. The airlines disclaim any liability for theft from bags which are
unlocked.



>
>
> --
> Michael Brown
> Melbourne Australia
> www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown
>
>
> "Magnusfarce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I travel a bit and am about to come into possession of a relatively
> > expensive camera. Because DSLR's are a bit bulky, I would need to pack

> the
> > camera in luggage rather than carry it on board (my briefcase, laptop,

and
> > such maintain top priority as carryons). Even with current, stringent
> > luggage inspection requirements, I've not had any theft-from-luggage
> > problems in my travels. However, I've rarely kept such a juicy target

in
> my
> > bags. What are people's experiences with the safety of their cameras in
> > checked luggage? (I'm talking about domestic, here. International

travel
> > is a separate matter.)
> >
> > - Magnusfarce
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JohnR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2004
Xrays are ionizing radiation. The dose in checked baggage is much stronger
than the carry-on check and will fog film. It may have no effect on the
card, or it may change the state of some memory cells (0s and 1s) damaging
the data. I doubt it will damage the card at that level. I understand the
dose can be boosted to see through dense items (why lead film bags are
useless). It could be damaging then.
John

"Justín Käse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4170820b.6164092@chupacabra...
> In Message-ID:<(E-Mail Removed)> posted on Wed, 13 Oct
> 2004 12:26:21 -0400, BG250 wrote:
>
> >The heavy X-Ray dose may also effect the memory.

>
> Just erase the data, or actually damage the card?
> --
>
> JK



 
Reply With Quote
 
JPS@no.komm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2004
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"BG250" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Never put a camera in checked baggage! Chances are it will make it, but
>chances are too high it will get stolen.
>The heavy X-Ray dose may also effect the memory.


A guy I used to work with told me that when he worked at a large local
international airport, temporary hires frequently felt soft baggage, and
if it felt like there was a saleable item like a camera, camcorder, etc,
they would put them aside and relieve the bag of the item.

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Self
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2004
Mick Brown states:

>2. Get a hard case camera bag that locks with a pad lock (real padlock not
>one of this tiny toy ones) and make sure its insured, that way it can travel
>in the luggage and the only thing you have to worry about is if the whole
>bag goes missing. If you find the lock broken off, then no self respecting
>air line will blow you off I wouldnt think.


TSA will cut the lock immediately and the airline will blow you off for
anything over the absolute stated minimum of insurance, at least in the States.

Charlie Self
"Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind
simultaneously, and accepting both of them." George Orwell
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mick Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-14-2004
Glad I live in Aussie then, cos with the amount of travel I do, it would be
a pain in the butt.

Went to Tasmania in the past 3 days, had luggage in the luggage area, Laptop
bag and large Camera bag with me in carry on. After having my gear stolen 3
years ago and only just being able to afford replacing some of it, it never
leaves my side.


--
Michael Brown
Melbourne Australia
www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown




"Charlie Self" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mick Brown states:
>
> >2. Get a hard case camera bag that locks with a pad lock (real padlock

not
> >one of this tiny toy ones) and make sure its insured, that way it can

travel
> >in the luggage and the only thing you have to worry about is if the whole
> >bag goes missing. If you find the lock broken off, then no self

respecting
> >air line will blow you off I wouldnt think.

>
> TSA will cut the lock immediately and the airline will blow you off for
> anything over the absolute stated minimum of insurance, at least in the

States.
>
> Charlie Self
> "Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's

mind
> simultaneously, and accepting both of them." George Orwell



 
Reply With Quote
 
kashe@sonic.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-14-2004
On 13 Oct 2004 15:59:13 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:


> ...so why take any
>chance at all that you might convert an honest person into a thief.


It can't be done. They're honest or not -- period. This is
just as untrue now as when I first saw it in about 1950 in a public
service ad on a SF Muni bus. The sign said, "Don't turn an honest boy
into a thief -- lock your car." Fortunately I was raised to think that
an open convertible with the keys in the ignition andf the engine
running was something to look at, not to steal.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul J Gans
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-14-2004
Special Ed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Magnusfarce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I travel a bit and am about to come into possession of a relatively
>> expensive camera. Because DSLR's are a bit bulky, I would need to pack
>> the
>> camera in luggage rather than carry it on board (my briefcase, laptop, and
>> such maintain top priority as carryons). Even with current, stringent
>> luggage inspection requirements, I've not had any theft-from-luggage
>> problems in my travels. However, I've rarely kept such a juicy target in
>> my
>> bags. What are people's experiences with the safety of their cameras in
>> checked luggage? (I'm talking about domestic, here. International travel
>> is a separate matter.)
>>
>> - Magnusfarce
>>
>>


>Airlines and TSA general advise against putting any kind of valuables in
>checked baggage. If you do, buy the extra insurance-- and hope you won't
>need your camera at your destination


>Edw.


I'm in New York. There was a recent series of articles in the
papers here about items stolen from bags at airports by "inspectors".

It seems not to have occured to anybody that people untrustworthy
enough to take *from* your luggage might be willing to put things
*into* your luggage for the proper fee.

If the baggage security program were working it would be very
safe (theftwise) to pack your photo equipment in your luggage.

Of course, even so, baggage handlers have been known to play
basketball with luggage...

---- Paul J. Gans
 
Reply With Quote
 
bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-14-2004
Paul J Gans <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ckkt49$5kg$(E-Mail Removed):

> Of course, even so, baggage handlers have been known to play
> basketball with luggage...
>


On a recent flight I was so happy that my camera was on my back when I saw
how the baggage guys handled the "plane checked" luggage. In air for at
least 5 feet at a time.

And those were the guys you could see as you were standing on the tarmac
waiting for them to take your stuff off the plane and bring it to you. Who
knows what happens with the guys inside the buildings you cannot see.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply
 
Reply With Quote
 
MJ@MJ.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-14-2004
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:56:09 GMT, "JohnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Xrays are ionizing radiation. The dose in checked baggage is much stronger
>than the carry-on check and will fog film. It may have no effect on the
>card, or it may change the state of some memory cells (0s and 1s) damaging
>the data. I doubt it will damage the card at that level. I understand the
>dose can be boosted to see through dense items (why lead film bags are
>useless). It could be damaging then.
>John
>
>"Justín Käse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:4170820b.6164092@chupacabra...
>> In Message-ID:<(E-Mail Removed)> posted on Wed, 13 Oct
>> 2004 12:26:21 -0400, BG250 wrote:
>>
>> >The heavy X-Ray dose may also effect the memory.

>>
>> Just erase the data, or actually damage the card?
>> --
>>
>> JK

>



Just because somebody may choose to put his camera in checked baggage
doesn't mean that he has to put his memory cards in also.

MJ
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Theft Is Theft? Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 7 11-08-2009 09:50 AM
Re: small tripod allowed in carry-on luggage? Netmask Digital Photography 0 06-04-2008 05:11 AM
siegelite flash bracket in carry-on luggage at airport? Romeo Raabe Digital Photography 8 03-20-2006 06:19 PM
New rule (in our favor) regarding photo equipment carry-on luggage. Patrick Lockwood Digital Photography 34 11-25-2003 08:46 AM



Advertisments