Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > HDTV and photos

HDTV and photos

Bob Daun

I have hooked up my camera to my HDTV and the pictures load and replace very
rapidly with reasonable picture quality . The situation is a lot different
with the CD jpegs on my DVD player. The pictures are quite good but take
quite a while to load from one photo to the next. The pictures are normally
about 1-2 Meg as they come off of the camera and the native picture size is
2288X1712 Pixels. The instructions for the DVD player states the jpegs
burned to a CD should be less than 5 MB each. The native resolution is 72
DPI. When I use the term native, I mean the statistics shown for the picture
as it exists when downloaded from the memory card and opened in Photoshop
Elements. By the way, I have also gone the VCD and SVCD route and find
little if any difference in quality over the pictures burned directly to CD
for viewing

I am considering purchase of a DVD burner and am wondering how the quality
of a digital picture as described above burned to a DVD appears on an HDTV
set when compared to the same picture just burned to a CD and played on a
jpeg compatible DVD player.
In the past I have received a lot of speculation but not much 1st party
experience.

I guess the thing I am looking for here is someone else's experience who
also has done the CD/jpeg/DVD slideshow thing and has been able to compare
that presentation on HDTV with the same pictures burned to a DVD and viewed
as a slide show on DVD.

--
Bob Daun