Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need new camera (advice) after breaking Oly 3040

Need new camera (advice) after breaking Oly 3040

AusDigi

I broke my Olympus C3040Z last week and am researching new cameras.

The 3040 had 3MPix, 3x zoom & macro to 20cm.

I take mainly photos of flora and fauna so close macro is important for
flowers and decent zoom for animals. [Why is it hard to find a digi still
cam with decent zoom - like video cams ]

Prefer CF memory as its cheapest but then again I would probably only get a
256MB card and take a laptop with me on vacations.

Prefer AA batteries as I already have 8 NiMH's (and recharger) sitting here
doing nothing.

More than 3MPix (but looks like any decent camera has more these days).

I don't really care about movie mode - its mostly a gimmick for still
cameras anyway (granted, some are now delivering decent 640x480 unlimited
recording). The movie mode for my Oly was very poor.

I like the manual mode so control over exposure, white balance, etc. would
be handy (but I'd hope most in my price range have this).

I'm checking web sites, such as http://www.steves-digicams.com/ (although
this site doesn't seem to review cameras so much as state their features).

I'm willing to spend around US$500 (I'm in Australia but I understand most
people here can think in this currency).

--
http://rnr.id.au

GT40

Not sure if this matches your list, but look at the (US Model number)
Canon PowerShot S60

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:48:19 +1000, "AusDigi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I broke my Olympus C3040Z last week and am researching new cameras.
>
>The 3040 had 3MPix, 3x zoom & macro to 20cm.
>
>I take mainly photos of flora and fauna so close macro is important for
>flowers and decent zoom for animals. [Why is it hard to find a digi still
>cam with decent zoom - like video cams ]
>
>Prefer CF memory as its cheapest but then again I would probably only get a
>256MB card and take a laptop with me on vacations.
>
>Prefer AA batteries as I already have 8 NiMH's (and recharger) sitting here
>doing nothing.
>
>More than 3MPix (but looks like any decent camera has more these days).
>
>I don't really care about movie mode - its mostly a gimmick for still
>cameras anyway (granted, some are now delivering decent 640x480 unlimited
>recording). The movie mode for my Oly was very poor.
>
>I like the manual mode so control over exposure, white balance, etc. would
>be handy (but I'd hope most in my price range have this).
>
>I'm checking web sites, such as http://www.steves-digicams.com/ (although
>this site doesn't seem to review cameras so much as state their features).
>
>I'm willing to spend around US$500 (I'm in Australia but I understand most
>people here can think in this currency).

Larry R Harrison Jr

There are a LOT of good cameras so check out dpreview.com for
recommendations.

That said, you mentioned macros a lot, and Nikons have always been
exceptional in macro. Two that stand out: the Coolpix 5400 and 5700. Both
have been upgraded to 8 megapixel models but are still--so far
anyway--non-discontinued, and you can get them on eBay for $400-500. The
former gets as close as 0.4 inches, the latter I can't remember but it's
very close (and I **think** it has less wide-angle distortion, but can't say
for sure). Both are 5 megapixels, have all the manual options you'll need
(including a hot shoe for a full-sized flash), a swivel LCD, ability to
shoot in RAW (you'll need the firmware upgrade for the 5400 to do this), and
good durable construction.

You may lean towards the 5700 because it has a lot of zoom--8x in fact (all
optical), reaching as far as 280mm (35mm equivalent). The 5400 only goes to
116mm (35mm equivalent), but zooms OUT further--28mm vs 35mm for the 5700.
Both use Compact Flash memory, and will work with the Type II Compact Flash
as well, including Microdrive (less necessary these days). The 5700 can use
6 AAs to power it if you buy the battery pack; otherwise they use a battery
similar to the 2CR5 lithiums you can buy in the store (which in fact will
fit & power both cameras).

I purchased my 5700 last May--when the 8700 (its successor) had JUST come
out--for right at $475, it may well be less than that now. I just purchased
a 5400 (haven't got it yet) with 2 spare batteries for $390. The former cost
like $800 last year, the latter right at $700 last year, so those are HUGH
price cuts.

The only issue I have is that the 5700 can have some trouble focusing in
low-light, I think the 5400 has that as well. But unless you take your
macros at night-time, that shouldn't matter. (If it does, consider the Sony
DSC-F717--5 megapixels, manual-options, 35mm-190mm zoom, cost right at $400;
it has fewer "image processing" overrides, though, and I don't think its
macro is as good.)

LRH

"AusDigi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:416bb5e8$0$4310$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I broke my Olympus C3040Z last week and am researching new cameras.
>
> The 3040 had 3MPix, 3x zoom & macro to 20cm.
>
> I take mainly photos of flora and fauna so close macro is important for
> flowers and decent zoom for animals. [Why is it hard to find a digi still
> cam with decent zoom - like video cams ]
>
> Prefer CF memory as its cheapest but then again I would probably only get
> 256MB card and take a laptop with me on vacations.
>
> Prefer AA batteries as I already have 8 NiMH's (and recharger) sitting
> here
> doing nothing.
>
> More than 3MPix (but looks like any decent camera has more these days).
>
> I don't really care about movie mode - its mostly a gimmick for still
> cameras anyway (granted, some are now delivering decent 640x480 unlimited
> recording). The movie mode for my Oly was very poor.
>
> I like the manual mode so control over exposure, white balance, etc. would
> be handy (but I'd hope most in my price range have this).
>
> I'm checking web sites, such as http://www.steves-digicams.com/ (although
> this site doesn't seem to review cameras so much as state their features).
>
> I'm willing to spend around US$500 (I'm in Australia but I understand most
> people here can think in this currency).
>
> --
> http://rnr.id.au

AusDigi

Thanks but that has insufficient zoom, I'm looking at at least 6x (optical
of course).

"GT40" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not sure if this matches your list, but look at the (US Model number)
> Canon PowerShot S60

AusDigi

Thanks Larry, lots of useful info. I like the 5400's macro (.4"/1cm) and the
5700's zoom.

"Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> There are a LOT of good cameras so check out dpreview.com for
> recommendations.
>
> That said, you mentioned macros a lot, and Nikons have always been
> exceptional in macro. Two that stand out: the Coolpix 5400 and 5700. Both
> have been upgraded to 8 megapixel models but are still--so far
> anyway--non-discontinued, and you can get them on eBay for $400-500. The
> former gets as close as 0.4 inches, the latter I can't remember but it's
> very close (and I **think** it has less wide-angle distortion, but can't

say
> for sure). Both are 5 megapixels, have all the manual options you'll need
> (including a hot shoe for a full-sized flash), a swivel LCD, ability to
> shoot in RAW (you'll need the firmware upgrade for the 5400 to do this),

and
> good durable construction.
>
> You may lean towards the 5700 because it has a lot of zoom--8x in fact

(all
> optical), reaching as far as 280mm (35mm equivalent). The 5400 only goes

> 116mm (35mm equivalent), but zooms OUT further--28mm vs 35mm for the 5700.
> Both use Compact Flash memory, and will work with the Type II Compact

Flash
> as well, including Microdrive (less necessary these days). The 5700 can

use
> 6 AAs to power it if you buy the battery pack; otherwise they use a

battery
> similar to the 2CR5 lithiums you can buy in the store (which in fact will
> fit & power both cameras).
>
> I purchased my 5700 last May--when the 8700 (its successor) had JUST come
> out--for right at $475, it may well be less than that now. I just

purchased
> a 5400 (haven't got it yet) with 2 spare batteries for $390. The former

cost
> like $800 last year, the latter right at $700 last year, so those are HUGH
> price cuts.
>
> The only issue I have is that the 5700 can have some trouble focusing in
> low-light, I think the 5400 has that as well. But unless you take your
> macros at night-time, that shouldn't matter. (If it does, consider the

Sony
> DSC-F717--5 megapixels, manual-options, 35mm-190mm zoom, cost right at

$400;
> it has fewer "image processing" overrides, though, and I don't think its
> macro is as good.)

QuienEs

Just a thought, I was given a "dropped" C3040Z by an owner who had
similar thoughts. I contacted Oly here in the US and was pleasently
surprised - they would fix anything for a flat fee as long as the
camera had not been submerged and as long as it was complete.

I sent it in, got it back quickly with a 90-day warranty, the cost was
US$179.00 and I have been using it happily for over a year.

Maybe similar applies in .AU

Cheers, QE in NJ
==============================

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:48:19 +1000, "AusDigi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|I broke my Olympus C3040Z last week and am researching new cameras.
|
|The 3040 had 3MPix, 3x zoom & macro to 20cm.
|
|I take mainly photos of flora and fauna so close macro is important
for
|flowers and decent zoom for animals. [Why is it hard to find a digi
still
|cam with decent zoom - like video cams ]
|
|Prefer CF memory as its cheapest but then again I would probably only
get a
|256MB card and take a laptop with me on vacations.
|
|Prefer AA batteries as I already have 8 NiMH's (and recharger)
sitting here
|doing nothing.
|
|More than 3MPix (but looks like any decent camera has more these
days).

|I don't really care about movie mode - its mostly a gimmick for still
|cameras anyway (granted, some are now delivering decent 640x480
unlimited
|recording). The movie mode for my Oly was very poor.
|
|I like the manual mode so control over exposure, white balance, etc.
would
|be handy (but I'd hope most in my price range have this).
|
|I'm checking web sites, such as http://www.steves-digicams.com/
(although
|this site doesn't seem to review cameras so much as state their
features).

|I'm willing to spend around US$500 (I'm in Australia but I understand
most
|people here can think in this currency).

Paul W. Ross

I have an Olympus C-5000. Uses xD cards, and has a Li Ion battery. GREAT camera.

AusDigi

"QuienEs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just a thought, I was given a "dropped" C3040Z by an owner who had
> similar thoughts. I contacted Oly here in the US and was pleasently
> surprised - they would fix anything for a flat fee as long as the
> camera had not been submerged and as long as it was complete.
>
> I sent it in, got it back quickly with a 90-day warranty, the cost was
> US$179.00 and I have been using it happily for over a year.

Thanks, maybe its similar here but for that price you can get better about
the same specs new.

Andre

I just bought a Minolta Dimage 7i for 450 euro's a few eeks ago. I love
it... although 'only' 5mp the quality of the images is very good and the
large 7 optical zoom gets you close to what you want to grab.

André
http://www.windowseat.nl

"Paul W. Ross" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...