Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > The 20D goes to the races

The 20D goes to the races

Skip M

Since Annika's out traipsing around Maui, and I'm sure ya'll miss his
bombastic posts, I'll take this opportunity to put up a gallery of images
from the recent Chrysler Speed Festival. Just so you won't miss him so
much...
I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I forgot to
turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...

http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...%20the%20Races

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

David J. Littleboy

"Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Since Annika's out traipsing around Maui, and I'm sure ya'll miss his
> bombastic posts, I'll take this opportunity to put up a gallery of images
> from the recent Chrysler Speed Festival. Just so you won't miss him so
> much...
> I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I forgot to
> turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...

http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...%20the%20Races

Nice reds on the MG and yellows on the Stutz.

Question: how does the "427" image _print_? In particular does the
cyan/white/cyan area* look like that on a print or does it do a smooth
transition? I've got some shots where the sky goes through strance colors on
the screen like that, but print just fine. I'm wondering if it's a color
space problem...

*: On my screen the white highlight band across the top is flanked by cyan
regions. Maybe my monitor's problematic...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Charlie Self

Skip M. posts:

>I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I forgot to
>turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...
>

>http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...pM&gallery=My%

2020D%20images/Day%20at%20the%20Races

A little less, but very little less. Nice shots. Much better than nice, but I
don't like to gush.

If I owned any of those cars, I'd want at least 10 minutes between me and
anything else on the track!

Where is this held, by the way?

Charlie Self
"Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind
simultaneously, and accepting both of them." George Orwell

Skip M

"David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ckg0dr$547$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Since Annika's out traipsing around Maui, and I'm sure ya'll miss his
>> bombastic posts, I'll take this opportunity to put up a gallery of images
>> from the recent Chrysler Speed Festival. Just so you won't miss him so
>> much...
>> I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I forgot
>> turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...
>>

> http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...%20the%20Races
>
> Nice reds on the MG and yellows on the Stutz.
>
> Question: how does the "427" image _print_? In particular does the
> cyan/white/cyan area* look like that on a print or does it do a smooth
> transition? I've got some shots where the sky goes through strance colors
> on
> the screen like that, but print just fine. I'm wondering if it's a color
> space problem...
>
> *: On my screen the white highlight band across the top is flanked by cyan
> regions. Maybe my monitor's problematic...
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

Haven't tried to print it yet, but it looks the same on my monitor as on
yours.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Skip M

"Charlie Self" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Skip M. posts:
>
>>I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I forgot to
>>turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...
>>

>>http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...pM&gallery=My%

> 2020D%20images/Day%20at%20the%20Races
>
> A little less, but very little less. Nice shots. Much better than nice,
> but I
> don't like to gush.
>
> If I owned any of those cars, I'd want at least 10 minutes between me and
> anything else on the track!
>
> Where is this held, by the way?
>
> Charlie Self
> "Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's
> mind
> simultaneously, and accepting both of them." George Orwell

It's held on North Island Naval Air Station, on Coronado Island, across the
bay from San Diego. It's a lot of fun, seeing race cars that range from the
'20s to the '70s, and there's nothing like the wail of the Ferraris at full
chat, but the rumble of big block Chevys and Fords gets you right there,
too.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Since Annika's out traipsing around Maui, and I'm sure ya'll miss his
> bombastic posts, I'll take this opportunity to put up a gallery of images
> from the recent Chrysler Speed Festival. Just so you won't miss him so
> much...
> I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I forgot to
> turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...

http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...%20the%20Races

> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

A Challenger AND a Javelin. You're making me feel older than necessary.
Nice shots, the one of the Stutz stands out for me - rich yellow color.

Skip M

"Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:H8Sad.2384$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> "Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Since Annika's out traipsing around Maui, and I'm sure ya'll miss his
>> bombastic posts, I'll take this opportunity to put up a gallery of images
>> from the recent Chrysler Speed Festival. Just so you won't miss him so
>> much...
>> I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I forgot
>> turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...
>>

> http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...%20the%20Races
>>
>> --
>> Skip Middleton
>> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

> A Challenger AND a Javelin. You're making me feel older than necessary.
> Nice shots, the one of the Stutz stands out for me - rich yellow color.

And that one was with the 18-55 "kit" lens, too. Overall, I'm very pleased
with the color rendition of the 20D compared to the D30 that it replaces,
especially the reds.
Not many people know about the Mopar effort in TransAm in '70 (that's Sam
Posey's car in the image) or that Roger Penske took the TA title with Mark
Donahue in the Javelin in '70 or '71, don't remember which. Speaking of
getting old...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Frank ess

Skip M wrote:
> Since Annika's out traipsing around Maui, and I'm sure ya'll miss his
> bombastic posts, I'll take this opportunity to put up a gallery of
> images from the recent Chrysler Speed Festival. Just so you won't
> miss him
> so much...
> I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I
> forgot to turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...
>
> http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...%20the%20Races

Yes, nice images.

I have some less-than less-than-perfect images, too:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/3404E14A19B54A0

I don't have any IS any more, and what I ever had is rapidly
deteriorating.

--
Frank ess
Fabulous 50s non-Association

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

> "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:H8Sad.2384$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> > "Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> Since Annika's out traipsing around Maui, and I'm sure ya'll miss his
> >> bombastic posts, I'll take this opportunity to put up a gallery of

images
> >> from the recent Chrysler Speed Festival. Just so you won't miss him so
> >> much...
> >> I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I forgot
> >> turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...

http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...%20the%20Races

> >> --
> >> Skip Middleton
> >> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

> > A Challenger AND a Javelin. You're making me feel older than necessary.
> > Nice shots, the one of the Stutz stands out for me - rich yellow color.
> >

> And that one was with the 18-55 "kit" lens, too. Overall, I'm very

pleased
> with the color rendition of the 20D compared to the D30 that it replaces,
> especially the reds.
> Not many people know about the Mopar effort in TransAm in '70 (that's Sam
> Posey's car in the image) or that Roger Penske took the TA title with Mark
> Donahue in the Javelin in '70 or '71, don't remember which. Speaking of
> getting old...

My first car was a '68 Roadrunner. It was a real animal. Now I drive a
2005 Chrysler 300C - a real civilized beast.

Alan Browne

Skip M wrote:

> http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...%20the%20Races

I like some of the closeups, but the "action" shots look ... er, actionless.
Need to pan or long shutter (which does not work well with a light BG as you
have here). The venue is rather dull, so closer shots would be more effective.

Cheers,
Alan