Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can I turn off the info when viewing pics on camera / TV? Nikon coolpics

Can I turn off the info when viewing pics on camera / TV? Nikon coolpics

Jim

Would anyone know if there is a way to turn off all of the info that pops up
when viewing the pictures on the camera monitor or on the TV? I may not be
asking this right (New to this camera AND newsgroup stuff). When I playback
/ view the pics I get stuff that says Nikon and the picture #, battery level
(?), the date and time the picture was taken etc blocking a lot of the
picture. A lot of times this info is right on the part of the picture I want
to see. Also - it takes away from letting my family and friends view the
picture as I took it when I show them on the TV to everyone. It's also a
pain when viewing on the camera monitor as I can't tell if the picture is
good or should be deleted and try again. I read the manual - came up empty.

Thanks!

Jim / NJ

PS- Will the picture #'s ever start again at zero too? It's up into the
hundreds but I downloaded all images and wiped the card (Or so I thought).
When I viewed last on the TV - there were only about 15 recent shots.

Dirk

My Nikon 8700 has a button marked "display." Pushing it hides all the
information and just shows the image.

Mark

"Jim" <jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net> wrote in message
news:inCad.5417$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Would anyone know if there is a way to turn off all of the info that pops

up
> when viewing the pictures on the camera monitor or on the TV? I may not be
> asking this right (New to this camera AND newsgroup stuff). When I

playback
> / view the pics I get stuff that says Nikon and the picture #, battery

level
> (?), the date and time the picture was taken etc blocking a lot of the
> picture. A lot of times this info is right on the part of the picture I

want
> to see. Also - it takes away from letting my family and friends view the
> picture as I took it when I show them on the TV to everyone. It's also a
> pain when viewing on the camera monitor as I can't tell if the picture is
> good or should be deleted and try again. I read the manual - came up

empty.

> Thanks!
>
> Jim / NJ
>
> PS- Will the picture #'s ever start again at zero too? It's up into the
> hundreds but I downloaded all images and wiped the card (Or so I thought).
> When I viewed last on the TV - there were only about 15 recent shots.

Joseph Meehan

Jim wrote:
> Would anyone know if there is a way to turn off all of the info that pops
> up
> when viewing the pictures on the camera monitor or on the TV? I may not be
> asking this right (New to this camera AND newsgroup stuff). When I
> playback
> / view the pics I get stuff that says Nikon and the picture #, battery
> level
> (?), the date and time the picture was taken etc blocking a lot of the
> picture. A lot of times this info is right on the part of the picture I
> want
> to see. Also - it takes away from letting my family and friends view the
> picture as I took it when I show them on the TV to everyone. It's also a
> pain when viewing on the camera monitor as I can't tell if the picture is
> good or should be deleted and try again. I read the manual - came up
> empty.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jim / NJ
>
> PS- Will the picture #'s ever start again at zero too? It's up into the
> hundreds but I downloaded all images and wiped the card (Or so I thought).
> When I viewed last on the TV - there were only about 15 recent shots.

It might help if you tell us what camera you are using.

--

Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Ed Ruf

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:51:26 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
<jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net> wrote:

>picture as I took it when I show them on the TV to everyone. It's also a
>pain when viewing on the camera monitor as I can't tell if the picture is
>good or should be deleted and try again. I read the manual - came up empty.

There is a display button which toggles this info displayed on/off.

>PS- Will the picture #'s ever start again at zero too? It's up into the
>hundreds but I downloaded all images and wiped the card (Or so I thought).
>When I viewed last on the TV - there were only about 15 recent shots.

There should be a setup menu item to allow you to either have the photos
incrementally increase, remembering what the last on the card was, or to
reset every time the images on the card are deleted.

If you'd tell us what model it was we might be able to provide more
detailed answers.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 and D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Jim

Reply at bottom. A friend said that's where they should go. true?

"Ed Ruf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:51:26 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
> <jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net> wrote:
>
> >picture as I took it when I show them on the TV to everyone. It's also a
> >pain when viewing on the camera monitor as I can't tell if the picture is
> >good or should be deleted and try again. I read the manual - came up

empty.

> There is a display button which toggles this info displayed on/off.
>
> >PS- Will the picture #'s ever start again at zero too? It's up into the
> >hundreds but I downloaded all images and wiped the card (Or so I

thought).
> >When I viewed last on the TV - there were only about 15 recent shots.

> There should be a setup menu item to allow you to either have the photos
> incrementally increase, remembering what the last on the card was, or to
> reset every time the images on the card are deleted.
>
> If you'd tell us what model it was we might be able to provide more
> detailed answers.
> __________________________________________________ ______
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
> See images taken with my CP-990/5700 and D70 at
> http://EdwardGRuf.com

Thanks for the replies and sorry to forget the model. I put Nikon coolpics
but I guess that's like saying Chevy and it could be any model. Again, I am
new to both groups and digital cameras and sometimes feel too old to learn
but really want to understand. It's a Nikon coolpics 3200 and THANKS to all
who replied.

I figured out how to turn off the info stuff I was seeing on the screen and
TV - THANKS!! It worked like a charm. Owners manual had a blip about it too
but not where I thought it would be. Each night I RE-read the manual - a few
pages at a time. I need to watch the CD and read the online manual too I
found. I transferred the pictures last night (first time for me) and I ended
up with hundreds (Only 40 were on camera) in several spots like picture
perfect (?) and in the my pictures folder - all in 3 MP so took a lot of
space I'm sure. Need to learn how to do this right.
I also need to learn how to only transfer / download the pictures I want -
not all. There's about 25 on the card we want to keep on there to show
people. They download every time too. Just want to save them on the card.
I also need to learn how to shrink the size for Emailing. I sent a couple
and they were big files. If the online manual and cd don't help - I will ask
the group. I feel like I owe everyone a drink for all the help already.
THANKS again,
Jim / NJ

Ed Ruf

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:00:06 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
<jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net> wrote:

>I figured out how to turn off the info stuff I was seeing on the screen and
>TV - THANKS!! It worked like a charm. Owners manual had a blip about it too
>but not where I thought it would be. Each night I RE-read the manual - a few
>pages at a time. I need to watch the CD and read the online manual too

The PDF copy of the manual is your best friend, as you can search it
electronically by keyword. Helps to find those tidbits of information that
may not be where you might expect them to be.

>found. I transferred the pictures last night (first time for me) and I ended
>up with hundreds (Only 40 were on camera) in several spots like picture
>perfect (?) and in the my pictures folder - all in 3 MP so took a lot of
>space I'm sure. Need to learn how to do this right.

Something to consider. Many of us do not use the manufacturer supplied
software to transfer photos. Depending upon your OS the camera itself will
most likely mount as a removable drive and you could use Windows Explorer
to select and move or copyy/paste what files you want, where you want them.
In fact many of us use simple card readers, so we never connect the camera
itself to the computer. This is a generic or universal method which will
work no matter what you may upgrade to in the future.

>I also need to learn how to only transfer / download the pictures I want -
>not all. There's about 25 on the card we want to keep on there to show
>people. They download every time too. Just want to save them on the card.
>I also need to learn how to shrink the size for Emailing. I sent a couple
>and they were big files. If the online manual and cd don't help - I will ask
>the group. I feel like I owe everyone a drink for all the help already.

You could create another folder for those photos you want to leave on the
card all the time.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 and D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Jim

Thanks Ed! I created a folder and all worked great. I just can't do the
transfer from camera to PC or they all come out. I have to just open then
card and download from there. I looked at some of your pictures too -
hopefully I will get good too.

Just trying to figure out this newsgroup stuff is driving me NUTS let alone
the camera! I'm not a super PC person. I couldn't find any replies as they
went off my ISP already. A friend said to look on google for it - I found
them there but not your reply. I did a find and yours came up but not
others. Then I couldn't open yours - I tried again and it opened. I know
it's something I am doing wrong.

Jim

"Ed Ruf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:00:06 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
> <jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net> wrote:
>

> >I figured out how to turn off the info stuff I was seeing on the screen

and
> >TV - THANKS!! It worked like a charm. Owners manual had a blip about it

too
> >but not where I thought it would be. Each night I RE-read the manual - a

few
> >pages at a time. I need to watch the CD and read the online manual too

> The PDF copy of the manual is your best friend, as you can search it
> electronically by keyword. Helps to find those tidbits of information that
> may not be where you might expect them to be.

> >found. I transferred the pictures last night (first time for me) and I

ended
> >up with hundreds (Only 40 were on camera) in several spots like picture
> >perfect (?) and in the my pictures folder - all in 3 MP so took a lot of
> >space I'm sure. Need to learn how to do this right.

> Something to consider. Many of us do not use the manufacturer supplied
> software to transfer photos. Depending upon your OS the camera itself will
> most likely mount as a removable drive and you could use Windows Explorer
> to select and move or copyy/paste what files you want, where you want

them.
> In fact many of us use simple card readers, so we never connect the camera
> itself to the computer. This is a generic or universal method which will
> work no matter what you may upgrade to in the future.
>

> >I also need to learn how to only transfer / download the pictures I

want -
> >not all. There's about 25 on the card we want to keep on there to show
> >people. They download every time too. Just want to save them on the card.
> >I also need to learn how to shrink the size for Emailing. I sent a couple
> >and they were big files. If the online manual and cd don't help - I will

ask
> >the group. I feel like I owe everyone a drink for all the help already.

> You could create another folder for those photos you want to leave on the
> card all the time.
> __________________________________________________ ______
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
> See images taken with my CP-990/5700 and D70 at
> http://EdwardGRuf.com

Ed Ruf

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:10:52 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
<jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net> wrote:

>Just trying to figure out this newsgroup stuff is driving me NUTS let alone
>the camera! I'm not a super PC person. I couldn't find any replies as they
>went off my ISP already. A friend said to look on google for it - I found
>them there but not your reply. I did a find and yours came up but not
>others. Then I couldn't open yours - I tried again and it opened. I know
>it's something I am doing wrong.

I have a philosophical disagreement with the Google Groups copyright
statement. As such I set a special header (X-archive = no), which Google
does honor and hence does not archive any of my posts.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 and D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Jim

That explains some. I still can't see these posts on my ISP but they're
there when I search them.
I tried to send this below to your Email but it came back:

I replied to your post but wanted to say thanks personally. You were a big
help. I have many more questions to ask the group in time once I figure out
how to find them if I don't sign in for a couple days etc. And if I can't
find the answers when I print the entire manual that is on the CD that came
w/ my coolpix 3200. I want to learn this stuff but it's frustrating too. I
will get the hang of it all. Biggest issue now is the lag time. I wanted to
take a band playing shot and by the time the picture went took - he was
turned around. Same w/ dog shots - can't keep him posed long enough for
camera to take the picture (Used to 35mm instant I guess). Also need to
learn how to shrink so I can Email. I send to people and they can't open.
Again, this may all be in the manual that I plan on printing and reading.
Jim

"Ed Ruf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:10:52 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
> <jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net> wrote:
>
> >Just trying to figure out this newsgroup stuff is driving me NUTS let

alone
> >the camera! I'm not a super PC person. I couldn't find any replies as

they
> >went off my ISP already. A friend said to look on google for it - I found
> >them there but not your reply. I did a find and yours came up but not
> >others. Then I couldn't open yours - I tried again and it opened. I know
> >it's something I am doing wrong.

> I have a philosophical disagreement with the Google Groups copyright
> statement. As such I set a special header (X-archive = no), which Google
> does honor and hence does not archive any of my posts.
> __________________________________________________ ______
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
> See images taken with my CP-990/5700 and D70 at
> http://EdwardGRuf.com

Jim

PS- How did you see my reply to your post? May I ask? It's not on my ISP
newsgroup nor google anymore. I found it by going to find and typing in my
subject but that's because I was looking to see if anyone replied to my
post. You wouldn't do a search for this thread. I ask so that maybe there's
a way for me to do this easier.

Jim