Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D70 Night Shots

Nikon D70 Night Shots

Will

I am shooting night High School Football games and using the Sport
Digital Vari-program modeon my Nikon D70. In the day this mode works
beautifully. I could not ask for more.

At night, I might get a set shot where there is little or no movement,
but all action shots are blurred.

Can anyone help with this? I know it is a lighting problem. I just do
not know what adjustments I need to make to catch full action football
shots. Do I move out of the Sport Vari-program and into something else
and then start changing the ISO...etc

Will

Charles Eaves

I don't shoot images of the football team but I do go to shoot images of my
son marching in the band.
I think that it is harder the shoot images of the band than the football
team.
Continuous movement for about 10-15 minutes.
The blur comes from camera shake. You can't hold the camera still long
enough to eliminate the shakes.
You need a tripod or a monopod.
It is essential for shake (blur) free images.
Don't get a cheap one either.
I will usually shoot images using the "P" mode.
You also need to set the D70 in the AFS continuous/ closest subject mode.
I will also enable the flash when shooting in this mode.
Shots are more focused with flash "up" than down.
Even though the flash won't reach the players on the field.
But if I am shooting images without field lights, the flash will not be on.
I have the same camera with a Nikkor 28-200 mm lens and it works great.
I still have a lot to learn but I am trying.
Go to www.dpreview.com and the are some great images of a Virginia H.S.
football team taken with the D70.
Be sure to go into the D70 forum.
Take sample images for practice and if you can take some scrimmage shots.
You will also have to watch which area in the view finder that the camera
is trying to focus in on.
I really enjoy using the D70.
Such a fabulous camera.
I have to go.

"Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am shooting night High School Football games and using the Sport
> Digital Vari-program modeon my Nikon D70. In the day this mode works
> beautifully. I could not ask for more.
>
> At night, I might get a set shot where there is little or no movement,
> but all action shots are blurred.
>
> Can anyone help with this? I know it is a lighting problem. I just do
> not know what adjustments I need to make to catch full action football
> shots. Do I move out of the Sport Vari-program and into something else
> and then start changing the ISO...etc
>
> Will

Jim

"Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am shooting night High School Football games and using the Sport
> Digital Vari-program modeon my Nikon D70. In the day this mode works
> beautifully. I could not ask for more.
>
> At night, I might get a set shot where there is little or no movement,
> but all action shots are blurred.
>
> Can anyone help with this? I know it is a lighting problem. I just do
> not know what adjustments I need to make to catch full action football
> shots. Do I move out of the Sport Vari-program and into something else
> and then start changing the ISO...etc

You might find that the P, S, or A modes would give better results. Also,
use a tripod (with a good solid head) and also make sure that the shutter
speed is high enough.
Jim

> Will

Will

Thanks to all. I will move out of the Sport mode and start trying
different settings that let more light. Glen suggested ISO 400 to 800
with aperture priority 3.4 or 4. I'll start here and then move on.
Will

Jim wrote:
> "Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I am shooting night High School Football games and using the Sport
>>Digital Vari-program modeon my Nikon D70. In the day this mode works
>>beautifully. I could not ask for more.
>>
>>At night, I might get a set shot where there is little or no movement,
>>but all action shots are blurred.
>>
>>Can anyone help with this? I know it is a lighting problem. I just do
>>not know what adjustments I need to make to catch full action football
>>shots. Do I move out of the Sport Vari-program and into something else
>>and then start changing the ISO...etc

> You might find that the P, S, or A modes would give better results. Also,
> use a tripod (with a good solid head) and also make sure that the shutter
> speed is high enough.
> Jim
>
>>Will

Crownfield

Will wrote:

> Thanks to all. I will move out of the Sport mode and start trying
> different settings that let more light. Glen suggested ISO 400 to 800
> with aperture priority 3.4 or 4. I'll start here and then move on.

what you need to do is to understand
how a camera stops motion,
and how the camera setting change that.

look at your camera manual.

basic camera 101

> Will
>
> Jim wrote:
> > "Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>I am shooting night High School Football games and using the Sport
> >>Digital Vari-program modeon my Nikon D70. In the day this mode works
> >>beautifully. I could not ask for more.
> >>
> >>At night, I might get a set shot where there is little or no movement,
> >>but all action shots are blurred.
> >>
> >>Can anyone help with this? I know it is a lighting problem. I just do
> >>not know what adjustments I need to make to catch full action football
> >>shots. Do I move out of the Sport Vari-program and into something else
> >>and then start changing the ISO...etc

> > You might find that the P, S, or A modes would give better results. Also,
> > use a tripod (with a good solid head) and also make sure that the shutter
> > speed is high enough.
> > Jim
> >
> >>Will

Ed Ruf

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:05:34 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Will
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can anyone help with this? I know it is a lighting problem. I just do
>not know what adjustments I need to make to catch full action football
>shots. Do I move out of the Sport Vari-program and into something else
>and then start changing the ISO...etc

Change the ISO to something a lot higher than 200. Start at say 800, turn
the camera to shutter priority mode and try shutter speeds around 1/200 or
1/250 as a start. If too dark you can decrease exposure time slightly
checking when you hit motion blur. Otherwise keep upping the ISO.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 and D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

You know who

"Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am shooting night High School Football games and using the Sport
> Digital Vari-program modeon my Nikon D70. In the day this mode works
> beautifully. I could not ask for more.
>
> At night, I might get a set shot where there is little or no movement,
> but all action shots are blurred.
>
> Can anyone help with this? I know it is a lighting problem. I just do
> not know what adjustments I need to make to catch full action football
> shots. Do I move out of the Sport Vari-program and into something else
> and then start changing the ISO...etc

Use a tripod and tell the team to hold still.

Or...

Put ISO as high as possible and set shutter priority for 1/640 of a second.
If the pictures are underexposed or too grainy try this setup: Canon MkII at
ISO 1600 with a EF 200mm f/1.8 with Tv set for 1/640.

You know who

"Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks to all. I will move out of the Sport mode and start trying
> different settings that let more light. Glen suggested ISO 400 to 800
> with aperture priority 3.4 or 4. I'll start here and then move on.
> Will

Not aperture priority. It's most important to stop the action. You need
shutter priority set to at least 1/400 of a second.