Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pentax Optio 33LF Observations

Pentax Optio 33LF Observations

Steve

I recently purchased the Pentax Optio 33LF digital camera. Here's what
I've observed so far (for those doing a Google search).

As others have noted here, Alkaline batteries are almost useless in
digital photography. When the camera says they are "depleted", they
actually have a nearly full charge. The manual says Alkalines will
last for 50 pictures but I didn't even get 25. I suspect that this is
due to Alkaline batteries' high internal resistance, not putting out
the amperage expected by the camera. For my testing, I got a pack of
AA Lithium batteries and they seem to work much better. After over a
dozen pictures it still shows the green battery charge icon.

Curiously, at Wal-Mart, they had 4-pack of AA Lithium batteries and a
2-pack of CRV-3 Lithium batteries. The 4-pack of AA batteries was
almost $9 and the 2-pack of CRV-3 batteries was almost $17, yet they
are technically equivalent. My guess is that between captital
expenditure and sales popularity, AA batteries are cheapter to produce
than the equivalent but less popular CRV-3.

So far, the pictures have come out well, although I should have used
spot or center-weighted exposure, or at least the "surf" program
setting, when taking pictures across a marina. Between the reflected
glare off the water and the subject possibly not in direct sunlight,
the subject came out underexposed compared to the rest of the picture.

My one real complaint so far, and it may be common to nearly all
digital cameras, is that the LCD is all but useless in bright daylight,
even with the brightness level set at maximum. Has anyone else had
this observation and have any suggestions on how to adapt?

If I keep the camera, I'll invest in a rechargable CRV-3 Lithium Ion
battery but keep the AA batteries as backup. I will also purchase a
512 MB SD card so I don't have to worry about space for larger pictures
with lower compression.

Steve

MaryD

<snip>

> Curiously, at Wal-Mart, they had 4-pack of AA Lithium batteries and a
> 2-pack of CRV-3 Lithium batteries. The 4-pack of AA batteries was
> almost $9 and the 2-pack of CRV-3 batteries was almost $17, yet they
> are technically equivalent. My guess is that between captital
> expenditure and sales popularity, AA batteries are cheapter to produce
> than the equivalent but less popular CRV-3.
>
> So far, the pictures have come out well, although I should have used
> spot or center-weighted exposure, or at least the "surf" program
> setting, when taking pictures across a marina. Between the reflected
> glare off the water and the subject possibly not in direct sunlight,
> the subject came out underexposed compared to the rest of the picture.
>
> My one real complaint so far, and it may be common to nearly all
> digital cameras, is that the LCD is all but useless in bright daylight,
> even with the brightness level set at maximum. Has anyone else had
> this observation and have any suggestions on how to adapt?

Steve, I just saw your message today which was dated a couple a more than a
week ago. My ISP sometimes misses Newgroup messages and they turn up a week
or more later -annoying!. I saw your subject line and I saw the Pentax 33LF
at a store and it seemed to have good features. I kind of liked it (I'm
still deciding). I liked the swivel LCD and wasn't it 1.6"? I would have
thought the swivel LCD would help to reflect the sunlight and make your
subject clearer and easier to see because you can put the LCD up and down or
side to side so the sun won't shine in it.?
Now I am wondering if the swivel LCD is not any great benefit.

MaryD

Steve

Hi Mary,

I don't have the camera in front of me so I can't tell you the size of
the LCD. I have not tried swinging the LCD out and tilting it down
slightly. The problem is -- and it may be common to these kinds of
displays -- it isn't bright enough to overcome sunlight. The
"brightness" setting only goes so far before the display is washed out,
i.,e. black background becomes gray and less contrast with the white
text.

I was thinking the swivel LCD would be useful in events where (besides
being indoors so you don't look up up at the sun/sky) one would take
pictures over people's heads.

So far, it's looking like it is more of an indoor or overcast day
camera. The Sony Mavica we have at work has a window at the top to
direct light down behind the LCD so it can be better seen in daylight.
Steve

KM

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi Mary,
>
> I don't have the camera in front of me so I can't tell you the size of
> the LCD. I have not tried swinging the LCD out and tilting it down
> slightly. The problem is -- and it may be common to these kinds of
> displays -- it isn't bright enough to overcome sunlight. The
> "brightness" setting only goes so far before the display is washed out,
> i.,e. black background becomes gray and less contrast with the white
> text.

I've looked at a few reviews of the Pentax 33LF and haven't seen mention of
the LCD display being washed out, and not bright enough, but that doesn't
mean it doesn't happen. I don't know what to think of the 33LF. I saw it in
the store and it seemed ok as to LCD display but thats indoors and it might
be different if I had seen it in the sunlight. My eyes are very sensitive in
sunlight.

> I was thinking the swivel LCD would be useful in events where (besides
> being indoors so you don't look up up at the sun/sky) one would take
> pictures over people's heads.

Yes, it could be handy as long as the hinge is strong and not liable to
break easily.

> So far, it's looking like it is more of an indoor or overcast day
> camera. The Sony Mavica we have at work has a window at the top to
> direct light down behind the LCD so it can be better seen in daylight.
> Steve

It sounds like a good feature that the Sony Mavica has to defect the direct
light down behing the LCD. You need an LCD that is clear whether indoor or
overcast or sunny. I suppose if its very bright most LCD's are hard to see,
but I have never had one, so I don't know. I thought the swivel LCD might be
good to tip down to avoid direct sunlight.I hope you don't regret your
purchase.

Thanks for your reply.

MaryD

MaryD

Sorry Steve. I forgot to change from KM back to MaryD.

news(E-Mail Removed)...