Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak DX4900 battery problems

Kodak DX4900 battery problems

Rick Courtier

My Kodak DX4900 camera just this weekend started to have battery problems.
I used rechargeable batteries and I thought I had a full charge on these
batteries but after just a few pictures the camera was showing that the
batteries were low. So I popped in a fresh set of durcells and these also
were having the same problem after a few shots. I checked the battery
indicators on the durcells and they show 100%. I popped them back in and was
able to take a few more pictures until again the camera show that the
batteries were getting low and then would shut off. After taking them out
and putting them back in it would be fine for a few more picture then would
go and show again the battery was low. I was not using the flash at all. And
I also tried and put in another set of freshly charged Kodak rechargable
batteries and it would do the same.

Any suggestion? I really don't want to replace the camera allready or go
through an expensive repair. . . the camera is not that old or used that
much. I just use it for Studebaker cars shows and not that pictures have
been taken on the camera. It is out of warranty I believe. I got it new off
Ebay a little over a year ago.

Thanks for any help!
--
Rick Courtier

Sky Hawk
Transtar 2E
1905 Farm Wagon

Jer

Rick Courtier wrote:
> My Kodak DX4900 camera just this weekend started to have battery problems.
> I used rechargeable batteries and I thought I had a full charge on these
> batteries but after just a few pictures the camera was showing that the
> batteries were low. So I popped in a fresh set of durcells and these also
> were having the same problem after a few shots. I checked the battery
> indicators on the durcells and they show 100%. I popped them back in and was
> able to take a few more pictures until again the camera show that the
> batteries were getting low and then would shut off. After taking them out
> and putting them back in it would be fine for a few more picture then would
> go and show again the battery was low. I was not using the flash at all. And
> I also tried and put in another set of freshly charged Kodak rechargable
> batteries and it would do the same.
>
> Any suggestion? I really don't want to replace the camera allready or go
> through an expensive repair. . . the camera is not that old or used that
> much. I just use it for Studebaker cars shows and not that pictures have
> been taken on the camera. It is out of warranty I believe. I got it new off
> Ebay a little over a year ago.
>
> Thanks for any help!

Was the same charger used to recharge these batteries? If so, maybe the
charger isn't completely charging the batteries. Try recharging with a
different charger.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Rick Courtier

No, I the Durcells are new non-chargables new from the store.

"Jer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cke2b3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rick Courtier wrote:
>> My Kodak DX4900 camera just this weekend started to have battery
>> problems. I used rechargeable batteries and I thought I had a full charge
>> on these batteries but after just a few pictures the camera was showing
>> that the batteries were low. So I popped in a fresh set of durcells and
>> these also were having the same problem after a few shots. I checked the
>> battery indicators on the durcells and they show 100%. I popped them back
>> in and was able to take a few more pictures until again the camera show
>> that the batteries were getting low and then would shut off. After
>> taking them out and putting them back in it would be fine for a few more
>> picture then would go and show again the battery was low. I was not using
>> the flash at all. And I also tried and put in another set of freshly
>> charged Kodak rechargable batteries and it would do the same.
>>
>> Any suggestion? I really don't want to replace the camera allready or go
>> through an expensive repair. . . the camera is not that old or used that
>> much. I just use it for Studebaker cars shows and not that pictures have
>> been taken on the camera. It is out of warranty I believe. I got it new
>> off Ebay a little over a year ago.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!

> Was the same charger used to recharge these batteries? If so, maybe the
> charger isn't completely charging the batteries. Try recharging with a
> different charger.
>

> --
> jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Ron Hunter

Rick Courtier wrote:
> My Kodak DX4900 camera just this weekend started to have battery problems.
> I used rechargeable batteries and I thought I had a full charge on these
> batteries but after just a few pictures the camera was showing that the
> batteries were low. So I popped in a fresh set of durcells and these also
> were having the same problem after a few shots. I checked the battery
> indicators on the durcells and they show 100%. I popped them back in and was
> able to take a few more pictures until again the camera show that the
> batteries were getting low and then would shut off. After taking them out
> and putting them back in it would be fine for a few more picture then would
> go and show again the battery was low. I was not using the flash at all. And
> I also tried and put in another set of freshly charged Kodak rechargable
> batteries and it would do the same.
>
> Any suggestion? I really don't want to replace the camera allready or go
> through an expensive repair. . . the camera is not that old or used that
> much. I just use it for Studebaker cars shows and not that pictures have
> been taken on the camera. It is out of warranty I believe. I got it new off
> Ebay a little over a year ago.
>
> Thanks for any help!

If you will browse through the battery section of your manual, you will
find that alakaline batteries are NOT recommended for use in your
camera. And you have discovered the reason. Because of internal
resistance, they are not able to deliver the power stored in them. Use
NIMH rechargeables.

Rick Courtier

That would explain the Durcells, but the rechargeable Nimh battery are still
an issue too. I will go out and try another charger. With fresh new
rechargeables just to rule everything out. . . but it seams to me that it
something else.

thanks

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rick Courtier wrote:
>> My Kodak DX4900 camera just this weekend started to have battery
>> problems. I used rechargeable batteries and I thought I had a full charge
>> on these batteries but after just a few pictures the camera was showing
>> that the batteries were low. So I popped in a fresh set of durcells and
>> these also were having the same problem after a few shots. I checked the
>> battery indicators on the durcells and they show 100%. I popped them back
>> in and was able to take a few more pictures until again the camera show
>> that the batteries were getting low and then would shut off. After
>> taking them out and putting them back in it would be fine for a few more
>> picture then would go and show again the battery was low. I was not using
>> the flash at all. And I also tried and put in another set of freshly
>> charged Kodak rechargable batteries and it would do the same.
>>
>> Any suggestion? I really don't want to replace the camera allready or go
>> through an expensive repair. . . the camera is not that old or used that
>> much. I just use it for Studebaker cars shows and not that pictures have
>> been taken on the camera. It is out of warranty I believe. I got it new
>> off Ebay a little over a year ago.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!

> If you will browse through the battery section of your manual, you will
> find that alakaline batteries are NOT recommended for use in your camera.
> And you have discovered the reason. Because of internal resistance, they
> are not able to deliver the power stored in them. Use NIMH rechargeables.

Ron Hunter

It could be the camera, but I would bet on the charger/batteries.

Rick Courtier wrote:
> That would explain the Durcells, but the rechargeable Nimh battery are still
> an issue too. I will go out and try another charger. With fresh new
> rechargeables just to rule everything out. . . but it seams to me that it
> something else.
>
> thanks
>

> "Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Rick Courtier wrote:
>>
>>>My Kodak DX4900 camera just this weekend started to have battery
>>>problems. I used rechargeable batteries and I thought I had a full charge
>>>on these batteries but after just a few pictures the camera was showing
>>>that the batteries were low. So I popped in a fresh set of durcells and
>>>these also were having the same problem after a few shots. I checked the
>>>battery indicators on the durcells and they show 100%. I popped them back
>>>in and was able to take a few more pictures until again the camera show
>>>that the batteries were getting low and then would shut off. After
>>>taking them out and putting them back in it would be fine for a few more
>>>picture then would go and show again the battery was low. I was not using
>>>the flash at all. And I also tried and put in another set of freshly
>>>charged Kodak rechargable batteries and it would do the same.
>>>
>>>Any suggestion? I really don't want to replace the camera allready or go
>>>through an expensive repair. . . the camera is not that old or used that
>>>much. I just use it for Studebaker cars shows and not that pictures have
>>>been taken on the camera. It is out of warranty I believe. I got it new
>>>off Ebay a little over a year ago.
>>>
>>>Thanks for any help!

>>If you will browse through the battery section of your manual, you will
>>find that alakaline batteries are NOT recommended for use in your camera.
>>And you have discovered the reason. Because of internal resistance, they
>>are not able to deliver the power stored in them. Use NIMH rechargeables.

Matt

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:23:59 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Rick Courtier wrote:
>> My Kodak DX4900 camera just this weekend started to have battery problems.
>> I used rechargeable batteries and I thought I had a full charge on these
>> batteries but after just a few pictures the camera was showing that the
>> batteries were low. So I popped in a fresh set of durcells and these also
>> were having the same problem after a few shots. I checked the battery
>> indicators on the durcells and they show 100%. I popped them back in and was
>> able to take a few more pictures until again the camera show that the
>> batteries were getting low and then would shut off. After taking them out
>> and putting them back in it would be fine for a few more picture then would
>> go and show again the battery was low. I was not using the flash at all. And
>> I also tried and put in another set of freshly charged Kodak rechargable
>> batteries and it would do the same.
>>
>> Any suggestion? I really don't want to replace the camera allready or go
>> through an expensive repair. . . the camera is not that old or used that
>> much. I just use it for Studebaker cars shows and not that pictures have
>> been taken on the camera. It is out of warranty I believe. I got it new off
>> Ebay a little over a year ago.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!

>If you will browse through the battery section of your manual, you will
>find that alakaline batteries are NOT recommended for use in your
>camera. And you have discovered the reason. Because of internal
>resistance, they are not able to deliver the power stored in them. Use
>NIMH rechargeables.

If this is similar to my DX3700, It will be:
1. Pair of NiMH AA
2. Easyshare NiMH pack (if used with the Dock)
3. CR-V3 Lithium
4. Pair of Lithium AA

There might also be a firmware update that adjusts it (like the 3700)
- but the website is ABSOLUTELY USELESS at the moment - my browser has
been spinning for evermore!

--
I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!

Ron Baird

Greetings Rick,

Sorry to hear about your difficulty.

The alkaline batteries you used are not really the best for your camera as
it draws a lot of power in a way that will diminish a general alkaline. I
suggest that if you want to use non rechargeable batteries you consider
lithiums. Or, better, if you can find a CRV-3 battery, it should deliver
more than sufficient power for a couple of hundred or more shots.

Your best bet, of course, is to use a rechargable, i.e. the Kodak
rechargables if you have a dock or battery recharger. If not, get some
rechargable NiMH batteries as they should hold a good charge for you.

Let me know how you make out. After trying the lithiums and you find you
camera still does not work well, I will help you get your camera serviced,
if you like.

Talk to you soon, Rick,

Best regards,

Ron Baird