Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Dumb question

Dumb question

Keith Nuttle

I have been working with some maps I down loaded and was looking at
distances. It occured to me that some programs, like Irfanview, will
give you the size of a the area defined by the cursor on pixels ie used
in cropping.

Using trigometric function I can determine the diagonals in pixels of
that rectangle and then measure distance on the map.

Dumb question are pixel symmetrical? Round or square pixels; the above
works. rectangle or elipses pixels and it fails.

Bob

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 02:22:22 GMT, Keith Nuttle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have been working with some maps I down loaded and was looking at
>distances. It occured to me that some programs, like Irfanview, will
>give you the size of a the area defined by the cursor on pixels ie used
>in cropping.
>
>Using trigometric function I can determine the diagonals in pixels of
>that rectangle and then measure distance on the map.
>
>Dumb question are pixel symmetrical? Round or square pixels; the above
>works. rectangle or elipses pixels and it fails.

It depends on your monitor and PC settings.

Measure your monitor display area and calculate the ratio - its usually 3/4...
now check your scan settings... 1024 x 768 for example is also 3/4.

You can adj the scanning of your monitor and check with a ruler... when you get
it all the same ratio, it will mean square pixels.

NOW - some CRT monitors are not linear, meaning squares will only be square on
one side or on the top only, or whatever... LCD monitors are scanned cell by
cell in a matrix so they are more accurate.

Roland Karlsson

Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> It depends on your monitor and PC settings.
>
> Measure your monitor display area and calculate the ratio - its
> usually 3/4... now check your scan settings... 1024 x 768 for example
> is also 3/4.

I might be wrong, but I don't think this is relevant for
the original poster. I assume that he wants to meassure
distances on the map (and not on the monitor display).

Then - it depends on the map maker. It is probably OK for
a well made map.

/Roland

Bob

On 10 Oct 2004 08:25:00 GMT, Roland Karlsson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> It depends on your monitor and PC settings.
>>
>> Measure your monitor display area and calculate the ratio - its
>> usually 3/4... now check your scan settings... 1024 x 768 for example
>> is also 3/4.

>I might be wrong, but I don't think this is relevant for
>the original poster.

If you hadn't of snipped the relevant post...

>I have been working with some maps I down loaded and was looking at
>distances. It occured to me that some programs, like Irfanview, will
>give you the size of a the area defined by the cursor on pixels ie used
>in cropping.
>
>Using trigometric function I can determine the diagonals in pixels of
>that rectangle and then measure distance on the map.
>
>Dumb question are pixel symmetrical? Round or square pixels; the above
>works. rectangle or elipses pixels and it fails.

You would now see that he asked if his pixels were square or not... so he could
measure maps on his display...

> I assume that he wants to meassure
>distances on the map (and not on the monitor display).

Learn to read...

>Then - it depends on the map maker. It is probably OK for
>a well made map.
>

>/Roland

Wayne J

> Learn to read...

The fact that Roland's English is better than yours and he is not a native
speaker makes your statement extremely ironic. lol.

Wayne

Roland Karlsson

"Wayne J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ZDuad.11148$(E-Mail Removed):

> The fact that Roland's English is better than yours and he is not a
> native speaker makes your statement extremely ironic. lol.

Moreover -- the original poster said that he used the size
information given by IrfanView (and not an ordinary ruler).
So ... it seems like I understand the language better also

/Roland

Bob

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:03:10 -0400, "Wayne J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>> Learn to read...
>>

>The fact that Roland's English is better than yours and he is not a native
>speaker makes your statement extremely ironic. lol.
>
>Wayne

The fact you are a stupid cocksucker is quite ironic as well...

< P L O N K >

Bob

On 11 Oct 2004 16:45:43 GMT, Roland Karlsson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Wayne J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:ZDuad.11148$(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> The fact that Roland's English is better than yours and he is not a
>> native speaker makes your statement extremely ironic. lol.
>>

>Moreover -- the original poster said that he used the size
>information given by IrfanView (and not an ordinary ruler).
>So ... it seems like I understand the language better also
>

>/Roland

Try reading it again... here it is since you morons keep snipping the relevant
post.

>I have been working with some maps I down loaded and was looking at
>distances. It occured to me that some programs, like Irfanview, will
>give you the size of a the area defined by the cursor on pixels ie used
>in cropping.

Read the word 'pixels' ??

>Using trigometric function I can determine the diagonals in pixels

Read the word 'pixels' ??

> of
>that rectangle and then measure distance on the map.
>
>Dumb question are pixel symmetrical?

Read the word 'pixels' ??

> Round or square pixels;

Read the word 'pixels' ??

>the above
>works. rectangle or elipses pixels and it fails.

Read the word 'pixels' ?? Why would he be concerned with the squareness of the
pixels? You don't have a ****ing clue do you?

Pixels in Irfanview refer to the screen, not a printed map!

Comprends tu??

Now go suck your stupids friends cock and **** you!!

< P L O N K >

Wayne J

> Pixels in Irfanview refer to the screen, not a printed map

And my genius friend, exactly how big is a pixel?

Wayne

Roland Karlsson

Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> Comprends tu??
>
> Now go suck your stupids friends cock and **** you!!

You are wrong and you are rude and you are stupid.
You just plonked me. But if you are to stupid to
really know how to do it, you will see this also.
And if you answer to this one we got the proof that
you cannot even plonk.

/Roland

Dumb, Dumb Vista Au79 Computer Support 4 02-11-2007 03:40 PM
Probably a dumb s/// question. Mark Healey Perl 2 03-16-2005 04:51 PM
Dumb, dumb dumb Qestion David Napierkowski Digital Photography 6 10-31-2004 11:14 PM
Re: Dumb question Walter Roberson Cisco 1 07-23-2003 01:05 PM

Advertisments