Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > TIFF format photography help please

TIFF format photography help please

Mike O'Sullivan

I'm fairly new to digital photography. My camera (Pentax Optio 550)
enables both JPEG and TIFF. So far I've been using JPEG but recently
been experimenting in TIFF. Can anybody please explain why, when viewed
in an image viewer (Irfanview in my case), it seems to produce 2 or 3
"pages", one of which is a heavily pixilated image? Also, why does using
TIFF seem to produce a much darker image, needing considerable
enhancement in photoshop Elements?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

GT40

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:43:03 +0000 (UTC), Mike O'Sullivan
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm fairly new to digital photography. My camera (Pentax Optio 550)
>enables both JPEG and TIFF. So far I've been using JPEG but recently
>been experimenting in TIFF. Can anybody please explain why, when viewed
>in an image viewer (Irfanview in my case), it seems to produce 2 or 3
>"pages", one of which is a heavily pixilated image? Also, why does using
>TIFF seem to produce a much darker image, needing considerable
>enhancement in photoshop Elements?

TIFF can be an uncompressed format, sounds like a camera problem,
unless its using TIFF for a RAW image.