Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > DIGITAL is not ART !

DIGITAL is not ART !

Nostrobino

"Dave Martindale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ck91rq$915$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Nostrobino" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>>> Curiously, my dictionary says that art is "the conscious use of skill
>>> nad
>>> creative imagination esp. in the production of aesthetic objects."

>>Exactly. The skill involved may be great or small, but art presumes that
>>whatever skill and creativity exists, is used. The artist MAKES the thing,
>>he doesn't merely record it. That's the important part. It's pretentious
>>say that one has created "art" simply by taking a pretty photo, but there
>>are photographers who for some reason like to believe they have done
>>exactly
>>that.

> That seems like a silly argument. The photographer *makes* the
> photograph, even if the camera is recording something that already
> exists.

Sure. The photographer (or his camera) makes the photograph; he didn't make
the thing he's photographing. Similarly, someone using a copy machine makes
a copy of something made by someone else, and the original may well be a
work of art--a pen and ink drawing, for example. The original drawing is a
work of art. The copy is not.

> Landscape photographers don't "arrange" their subject, but the
> process of recording and then printing it involves many decisions about
> camera placement, lens focal length, cropping, exposure, tone and colour
> adjustments, and so on.

Of course. Many technicians make comparable decisions. Some may make better
decisions than others, but making choices is not producing art.

> Even if the photographer shoots on Auto and gets their prints from the
> local drugstore with no input into the processing, they are still
> deciding what subject to shoot, and under what lighting conditions.

Of course. Similarly, one may choose to hang a painting in a certain place,
in a certain frame, where there will be certain conditions of light to
enhance the painting, and so on. Making such choices may show a keen
appreciation of art and the conditions under which it is best seen, but is
not itself producing art.

> This can still involve skill and creativity, and it can still be art.

Not if it's a straight, unmanipulated record. ANYONE who takes photos makes
such choices and decisions, though some obviously will put more thought into
it than others. Do you think that makes anyone with a camera an artist?

Why do some people with cameras consider it so important to puff themselves
up into "artists" anyway? What's wrong with just being a good photographer?

To call any nice-looking photo "art" is to make the word meaningless.

N.

Justín Käse

In Message-ID:<ck91rq$915$(E-Mail Removed)> posted on Sat, 9 Oct 2004
15:58:50 +0000 (UTC), Dave Martindale wrote:

>Even if the photographer shoots on Auto and gets their prints from the
>local drugstore with no input into the processing, they are still
>deciding what subject to shoot, and under what lighting conditions.
>This can still involve skill and creativity, and it can still be art.

So to sum it up, you're denying the possibility of accidental art?
Like if someone bumps into a table, camera falls to the floor, goes off,
and the resultant print from the 1-hour machine turns out to be quite
pleasing after all. I bet there are some who might be fooled into
thinking it art. Maybe that's why the old "eye of the beholder" cliche
is still so applicable.
--

JK

Roland Karlsson

"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:QWU9d.54987$(E-Mail Removed). com:

> Then a MACK truck is art by your definition. Art is art - no matter
> whether you exist or not. I take the commercial view - anything
> purchased as art is art.

So - if you sell a MACK truck as art - then it is art.

/Roland

Ron Hunter

Roland Karlsson wrote:
> "Nostrobino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:GVQ9d.8056$(E-Mail Removed) :
>

>>Very little photography, whether digital or chemistry-based, is art.
>>
>>Photography is photography. It doesn't have to pretend to be something
>>it is not, and such pretense is important only to poseurs.

> Very litle is art IMHO. Oil on a canvas does not make art either.
>

> /Roland

Nor a crucifix in a jar of urine, in spite of government support for
such obscene displays.

Charles Schuler

Excellent troll! You have already netted two dozen fish.

Tony

Never have but by your definition I wouldn't have to sell it, merely impact
you with it. Get it?

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Roland Karlsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:QWU9d.54987$(E-Mail Removed). com:
>
> > Then a MACK truck is art by your definition. Art is art - no matter
> > whether you exist or not. I take the commercial view - anything
> > purchased as art is art.

> So - if you sell a MACK truck as art - then it is art.
>

> /Roland

ECM

"imbsysop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<4167ac6c$0$4145$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "DarkRoom ForEver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:kfN9d.23903$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > I'm not the only one thinking this...
> >
> > http://henrystop.port5.com
> >

> besides this being just flame bait .. Art being dependent on the
> (intermediate) equipment used is plain raving BS ..
> the end product is the only valid criterion, not the way to it..

Well said!

ECM

Steve Hix

In article <kfN9d.23903$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"DarkRoom ForEver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm not the only one thinking this...
>
> http://henrystop.port5.com
>
> DarkRoom ForEver.

The same sorts of arguments came up during the early days of
photography, "proving" that photography was not an art, it being, at
best, nothing more than a pale imitation of painting.

Use whatever tools you like; don't waste your time, not to mention
everyone else's, with silly penny ante stuff like this.

YoYo

Mick thats exactly what I thought!
lol..

"Mick Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message
news:1BR9d.19756$(E-Mail Removed)
gpond.net.au...
> Yeah I seen his question under he

picture "can you do this with digital"
and
> I immediately thought, god I hope

not!!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

this...

> > > Henry Stop better embrace change

or he will go the way of the dinosaur.
> > > It may already be too late.
> > > Apparently, he has not even

advanced to Color Photography.

> > From the image on that page, it

appears he hasn't even made it to black
> and
> > white yet.
> >
> > David J. Littleboy
> > Tokyo, Japan

Prometheus

In article <blY9d.19770$(E-Mail Removed)> , Tony
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Never have but by your definition I wouldn't have to sell it, merely impact
>you with it. Get it?

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about, now if you were to
leave the original text instead of blocking it we might.

--
Ian G8ILZ